Mask suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WhoDatSleeping

Mask suggestions

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Hello all!

I have been using the comfort gel nasal mask but can not quite get used to it. As a result, I have an appointment with my RT on Tuesday to test try some other options. I was leaning toward a FFM but like the idea of less mask with pillows.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/suggestions you could provide concerning what I should do or look for during my session.

avi123

Re: Mask suggestions

Post by avi123 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:42 pm

It's a real problem. I would try to get the RT to arrange for measuring my size and let me have masks given to me on a weekly loan basis. I for example, never tried a nasal pillows mask or a hybrid which I might like. After 4 months CPAPIing I am still looking for a mask. But in my case the situation is a bit diff than with others b/c I wear removable dentures (up and down). Optimal solution for me would be implants costing $50k.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Great idea about loaning out different styles!
Is this something that they normally do?

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:52 pm

As you probably know mask choice is a very personal thing. What is comfortable for me, may not be comfortable for you. That said, if you are a mouth breather, you might want to go for a full face mask. My husband's mouth drops open when he sleeps and snores very loudly. Even with a papcap, he managed to open his mouth. So, he went with a Mirage Quatro full face mask and a padacheek mask liner for comfort. I am NOT a mouth breather and I am a side sleeper and so I wanted less mask on my face, if possible. I found that I really liked the Swift FX nasal pillow mask. I used to get condensation in my hose and so I purchased a comfy fleece cover from padacheek and I also purchased an Aussie heated hose. My husband has an s9 with a climateline hose, so he never gets rain out and has just the right temperature and humidity.

However, I have had colds and sinus issues and at times I found I needed a nasal mask on standby for those times. So, I have a Comfort Gel Nasal Mask and a Mirage Soft Gel nasal mask. The Soft Gel has a deeper profile than the Comfort Gel - it sticks out a little more from your face, but I found it to be VERY comfortable. I also purchased a comfort gel Full Face Mask just in case some day I get a really bad cold and cannot breathe through my nose at all. So far, even with a sinus infection, the humidity on my s8 has gotten me through without having to don the full face mask.

Have your DME let you try on several masks with the machine turned on and you lying down. Then choose the best one and if during the week you find you don't like it, call the DME and try another. Keep trying until you find the perfect mask for you. I did just that and #4 was the winner - The Swift FX!

My husband tried the Mirage Quatro FX but never could get the darn thing to stop leaking around the eyes. So, he went back to old faithful, his regular Mirage Quatro FFM.

Xpap is a journey - the journey of a life time, so keep trying different ones until you find the most comfortable one for you. You WILL find it. You just need to keep trying.

Best regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:02 pm

avi123 wrote:It's a real problem. After 4 months CPAPIing I am still looking for a mask. But in my case the situation is a bit diff than with others b/c I wear removable dentures (up and down). Optimal solution for me would be implants costing $50k.
We found out after trying several FF masks that none would fit properly or stop leaking with dentures removed, my husband has a full upper and partial lower and his facial structure changes without them. We consulted with our dentist and he suggested changing the routine so he sleeps with his dentures at night and removes them for few hours in the morning. That was the solution to the problem.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:20 pm

Jersey girl thanks for the insight. I was wondering about what to do with colds and sinus issues as well. I like your suggestion to have FFM for backup situations.

I see that you like the Mirage soft gel over the comfort gel. I was thinking of switching to the soft gel as well.

I am a side sleeper so I will definitely give the pillows a try.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:50 pm

I am a mouth breather and I have used quattro mirage, quattro ultra mirage, and now I have the quattro FX. I've had it for 2 weeks and I am liking it. I think it's worth giving the quattro FX a try for sure.
They are supposed to give you 30 days to return the mask if you dont like it. so be sure to tell the DME/RT that you know that if they dont volunteer that information (which mine did not). so you should have the opportunity to try out something.
i definitely recommend getting a padacheek liner. While you are on tryouts you can just make your own from old t shirt material. The liner helps with comfort immensely. (geaux saints)

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks Bayourest! Who Dat!

Looks like I will be trying the following:
Quatro FX FFM
swift FX Nasal pillow

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 am

Quick update on my visit with RT:

After trying several masks, I settled on trying out the Mirage Quatro FFM and the Mirage Altiva LT Nasal mask. Both felt good on my face so I will be trying these out over the next few weeks.

My RT told me to not look at the pillows due to the high titration (12). Is this in line with what you guys have been told?

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm

WhoDat, did you try the "forming" procedure where you put the cushion in hot water and customize it to your particular face?

I wonder if the Comfort Gel Blue has the same hot water forming feature?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

WhoDat, 12 isn't such a high pressure, I use FX pillows with auto 11-15, no trouble. , I side, tummy sleep and am an active sleeper, I hang the hose, very comfy. Kathy, ( hubby is from Lake Charles )
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.

PtownKev

Post by PtownKev » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

My pressure is also 12 and I tried both the Swift FX and Swift LT nasal pillow masks. I didn't like either of them, but having nothing to do with the pressure--I just couldn't get them to stay put enough to avoid leaks during the night. I also tried the ComfortGel mask and found it too large and too leaky, although it was comfortable. I am now using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel, which is essentially the same mask as the Activa LT except with the gel insert (they use the same frame and headgear). I just got the Softgel but I like it a lot--it fits well and is very comfortable. Good luck with the masks you're trying and let us know how they work out.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:04 pm

WhoDatSleeping wrote:My RT told me to not look at the pillows due to the high titration (12). Is this in line with what you guys have been told?
No.

People using 15 cm and upwards have reported using nasal pillows just fine.
I use APAP 12 cm to 14 are common and have seen 18 on rare occasion and they didn't blow out of my nose.
If you want to try the nasal pillow type of mask and you can normally breathe through your nose just fine, then don't let 12 cm of pressure stop you. Now, there might be other reasons why a full face mask might be better for you but if pressure setting is the only thing holding you back, don't let it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 am

archangle wrote:WhoDat, did you try the "forming" procedure where you put the cushion in hot water and customize it to your particular face?

I wonder if the Comfort Gel Blue has the same hot water forming feature?

I did not do the forming procedure as the masks felt pretty good without doing such but I have heard of people doing such on the comfort gels to get a better fit.

WhoDatSleeping

Post by WhoDatSleeping » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks to all for the advice concerning the pillows. I thought that my RT was incorrect in his logic about using pillows with the higher titration. I may give them a try when it is time to get a new mask.

On a good note, I tried out the Activa LT last night and it was great. The mask felt really good, much better than the comfort gel nasal mask. When I checked my stats from last night, I saw the best numbers I have had since being on the cpap:

Usage: 7:23 hours
AHI:2.5
Leak: 0.00

Needless to say, I am a happy camper.