H5i running out of water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TheTwinsMom1

H5i running out of water

Post by TheTwinsMom1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:58 pm

I fill it up to the max every night but it never lasts even 8 hours before it runs dry. I have it set on 5.5 which is perfect for me. Does anybody else have this trouble? If i fill it up beyond the max line it bubbles and overflows the tank. This is making me crazy.
APAP Pressure of 12-20, EPR of 3, CMS-50F Oximeter, PapCap, and Regenesis Pillow. 200mg Provigil in the AM. Also diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

msradar65

Re: H5i running out of water

Post by msradar65 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Add a humidifier in the room you sleep in and run it at night. This should allow you to turn down the humidifier on your S9.

I thus far have not had this problem...but I also use climate line hose.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 pm

TheTwinsMom1 wrote:I fill it up to the max every night but it never lasts even 8 hours before it runs dry. I have it set on 5.5 which is perfect for me. Does anybody else have this trouble? If i fill it up beyond the max line it bubbles and overflows the tank. This is making me crazy.
That's a pretty high setting for humidity. Have you considered turning it down? If it's not too unpleasant with lower humidity, your tank-full will last longer.

TheTwinsMom1

Post by TheTwinsMom1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:21 pm

I also use the heated hose. I can try turning it down, I have asthma and this setting has allowed me to almost have no asthma symptoms and has reduced by medications also. But I can always go down and if it gets worse turn it back up.
APAP Pressure of 12-20, EPR of 3, CMS-50F Oximeter, PapCap, and Regenesis Pillow. 200mg Provigil in the AM. Also diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:52 pm

TheTwinsMom1 wrote:I also use the heated hose. I can try turning it down, I have asthma and this setting has allowed me to almost have no asthma symptoms and has reduced by medications also. But I can always go down and if it gets worse turn it back up.
It sounds like you're setting the tank and hose heat separately rather than using the combined setting. Is this the case?

EricinNC

Post by EricinNC » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:08 pm

TheTwinsMom1 wrote:I fill it up to the max every night but it never lasts even 8 hours before it runs dry. I have it set on 5.5 which is perfect for me. Does anybody else have this trouble? If i fill it up beyond the max line it bubbles and overflows the tank. This is making me crazy.
I turn mine up to the max, 6. I usually run out of water by the morning but then again, humidity in the winter here is around 35%, sometimes around 30%. I have to crank it up high. Resmed has never been famous for their humidifiers or machines, their best product is their masks.

If you want the best humidifier set up, consider a Fisher and Pykel humidifier set up with a PR blower. Outstanding humifidication.

Eric

cortez356

Post by cortez356 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 pm

30% hunidity is not super dry. 6 is far too high for the humdity setting. When the humidity in the bedroom is 30% I run mine at 1 or 1.5. When it is over 40% I run it at .5. I stopped using the Auto humidity setting . It keeps the humidity at 80% and the mask is full of water.

Bob

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:10 am

cortez356 wrote:30% hunidity is not super dry. 6 is far too high for the humdity setting. When the humidity in the bedroom is 30% I run mine at 1 or 1.5. When it is over 40% I run it at .5. I stopped using the Auto humidity setting . It keeps the humidity at 80% and the mask is full of water.

Bob
I used to think that too, but some people on the list seem to have a different threshold for humidity. For most of us, that much humidity would cause sinuses to clog. But for others, the reverse seems true. I'm using the auto setting at 80 degrees. We have about 40% humidity in the winter inside the house. I generally top off the tank, but the water measure might only go down one tick mark during the night.

@TheTwinsMom1 - what do you have your heated hose set at?

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:42 am

Twins mom
I have an S9 also. It sounds to me like your not using the climate controle setting.
Your 5.5 setting would be a setting without the climate controle hose
When the climate controle hose is correctly connected your choices are like 80% etc.
I have mine at 85% right now and I live in Houston where it's humid.
I never run out of water, but like I said it's humid here.
When you put the climate line hose in the back of the machine it should say climate control enabled and a degree which you can lower or higher.
When you don't have the climate control enabled you get numbers such as your 5.5 etc which you can lower or higher.

Are you sure you have the climate control hose in correctly?

I agree that if you have it all set up correctly and are using all your water than I would for sure add a humidifier to your bedroom.
I have a small Hunter Humidifier that I love. That would increase the moisture in the air greatly.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

EricinNC

Post by EricinNC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 am

cortez356 wrote:30% hunidity is not super dry. 6 is far too high for the humdity setting. When the humidity in the bedroom is 30% I run mine at 1 or 1.5. When it is over 40% I run it at .5. I stopped using the Auto humidity setting . It keeps the humidity at 80% and the mask is full of water.

Bob

To hell 30% humidity is not dry. On my digital thermometer when it drops below about 40% is says "dry." If I left my S9 humidifier at a 1 or 1.5 in the winter it would be about like using no humidifier at all.

Some of the things I read on this forum blow my mind. Just unbelievable stuff that I read here. Pure bs.

Wont matter anyway because my S9 APAP is getting sold soon, its not broke at all its just a POS.

Eric

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:24 am

jazzer4 wrote:...Are you sure you have the climate control hose in correctly?
I agree that if you have it all set up correctly and are using all your water than I would for sure add a humidifier to your bedroom.
I have a small Hunter Humidifier that I love. That would increase the moisture in the air greatly.
Hi jazzer4,
I agree that the default setting for the climateline hose is the combined setting, however it is possible to control both the hose temperature and the hose heat manually by setting the climate control to manual. TheTwinsMom1 or her DME may have set her S9 up this way.

When set to the combined setting, the measurement increments on my machine shows as degrees Fahrenheit. So my auto climatecontrol settings say '80 <degree symbol>F' rather than 80% as you suggest. Regardless of units, the number gives the user a measure of control.

I also agree that a room humidifier may be an excellent way to help.

jazzer4

Post by jazzer4 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks for the infor DreamDiver.
I always learn something new here.
Maybe I should try mine that way but then again I'm doing so good....if it aint broke don't fix it.

Good Better Best, Never Let It Rest
Until The Good Is Better And The Better Is Best

TheTwinsMom1

Post by TheTwinsMom1 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:49 am

I changed mine to manual to control each part separately.

I run it at 80F and 5.5. It's the perfect setting for me. I tried lower and woke up with desert mouth. I Just wish my tank was a bit bigger LOL

TGOjr

Post by TGOjr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am

You shouldn't be running out of water. I would have a download of your machine, but I am guessing it is a leak with your mask. When there is a leak more flow is generated through the machine picking up more water and using more during the night. The only way you should use all the water on that setting is if your pressure is getting above 15 or more it could get really close. Hope that helps

TimWK

Post by TimWK » Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 pm

My H5I has run out of water for the last 6 nights straight. The first time was app i mo ago with my Quattro FX. I had the S9 set to 84 degrees. The next night i set the S9 to 82 degrees which is still comfortable to me. This solved the problem for a week. I switched masks to a F&P 432 and ran out of watter for 3 out of 5 nights with this mask. I have since switched to the Resmed Liberty and have run out of water each night at 82 degrees. For the last 6 days the avg mask time is 8 hrs, leak avg 95th percentile 9.6, pressure 95th percentile 16.5 and AHI 0.5.
I know i live in AZ and the humidity is low, but Australia where Resmed is from also has a desert climate and should have designed the H5I for the worst case conditions.

Best Regards