still restless!..found mold growing in water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleepless in the hamptons!

still restless!..found mold growing in water

Post by Sleepless in the hamptons! » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:02 pm

Hello my first time!
I have been using the resmed s-9 for two months now still having a hard time sleeping with the mask on and just started coughing allot and found mold or something growing in my water chamber is this mold and is this why im coughing?

STL Mark

Re: still restless!..found mold growing in water

Post by STL Mark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Sleepless in the hamptons! wrote:Hello my first time!
I have been using the resmed s-9 for two months now still having a hard time sleeping with the mask on and just started coughing allot and found mold or something growing in my water chamber is this mold and is this why im coughing?
If your using distilled water you should not get mold in the tank. Especially after only 2 months. I assume you are draining it frequently and have a new S9 and tank and not a used one. When mold does occur it is frequently a pink color and from tap water. If you have problem tap water or want to exclude yourself from this problem in the future I would also rinse the tank with your distilled water.

I use hydrogen peroxide every now and then to sanitize my tank even though I have never had issues. I do this about once per month. I completely shake out the water about every other day and start with fresh.

Mode: ASVAuto, Min EPAP: 4, Max EPAP: 15, Min PS: 3, Max PS: 15, Ramp: Off - Original Titration: 18

Samba

Post by Samba » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:10 am

Can the H5i go in the dishwasher, cause my h4i does & that make cleaning it a lot easier.

kempo

Post by kempo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:35 am

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Be sure the air filters are in place properly. If air is going around the filters, you'd get dust and whatever else is in the air into the water and it might encourage mold growth.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Samba wrote:Can the H5i go in the dishwasher, cause my h4i does & that make cleaning it a lot easier.
My owner's manual says it's dishwasher safe on the top shelf.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:56 pm

STL Mark wrote:
Sleepless in the hamptons! wrote:Hello my first time!
If your using distilled water you should not get mold in the tank. Especially after only 2 months. I assume you are draining it frequently and have a new S9 and tank and not a used one. When mold does occur it is frequently a pink color and from tap water.
That's what I used to think! And then..........

I was one of those who shared in the cavalier attitude that since all I used was distilled water, have very little dust in the house, and the S9 filters were never dirty, why worry??? All I did was add water nightly to the tank, but after about 3 or 4 months I noticed it was getting harder to see the marks on the water level gauge. I was having some scratchy throat problems but figured it was a respiratory infection trying to get to me. And then one night the tank ran dry because I forgot to fill it. That next evening when I filled the tank, with distilled water of course, I noticed some crud floating around. It looks like what happened was something was building up in the water and when the tank ran dry the crud dried out and came loose from the bottom. Needless to say I cleaned that sucker out good and decided that even with distilled water it needs to be cleaned real good at least once every 4 to 8 weeks!

I did go through a bout with respiratory crud, but whether it was from the crud in the tank of from the air in town I have no idea. When it comes to distilled water I no longer believe that "top it off every night or two" is all you need to do. No sireee, no more!

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:14 pm

robysue wrote:
Samba wrote:Can the H5i go in the dishwasher, cause my h4i does & that make cleaning it a lot easier.
My owner's manual says it's dishwasher safe on the top shelf.
There are 2 types. The "disposable" one is not dishwasher safe. Check the youtube video link above.