Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HoseCrusher

Re: Especially for newly diagnosed - Dealing with Change

Postby HoseCrusher on Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Congratulations on your adaptation to this therapy. This is the first step and the journey does get better.

Unfortunately the xPAP machines don't have a "pleasant dreams only" button... :)

There are a few things you can try. Eliminate stress and anxiety as much as possible. Sometimes supplements such as magnesium and a B complex can help. Also some additional sulfur may help.

You also may want to visit "the bank." They may be able to figure out a "rapid payment plan" for your sleep debt... :)

Here is hoping you have pleasant dreams from here on out.

Machine is an S8 Autoset II. SpO2 96+% and holding...

rafael101

Postby rafael101 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 pm

hi my name iis rafael i am a new with this whole sleep apnea thing i need help i am scared and i have seen the videos so wut do u gys recamend

HoseCrusher

Postby HoseCrusher on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:56 pm

I recommend that you read the various posts on the forum. When you run across something that you don't understand, ask questions about it.

Machine is an S8 Autoset II. SpO2 96+% and holding...

JLM1951

Postby JLM1951 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Last night was my first night at home with my new CPAP and nose pillows. Was a constant battle all night dealing with keeping gear in place and finally getting the humidifier set so I wasn't so dried out and had no rainouts. My setting is for 13 and the pressure seems high and I must have been swallowing lots of air, which woke me quite often. I'm feeling positive that I'll eventually get use to it. I've ordered a hose cover and strap guards to help soften the area around my cheeks. I'm learning lots from this forum and I appreciate everyone's input. Hope I make a speedy adjustment to this and looking forward to putting an end to my insomnia. Did get to giggle a little when I first put it on. My cat jumped up in bed, took one look and hissed at me. Think she slept under the bed for the night.

DavidCarolina

Postby DavidCarolina on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:32 am

WHen i got sick sudden onset both apnea and adrenal problems my wife told me straight out she didnt believe me or that
I was exaggerating.

All this even though she was in the ER before diagnosis and saw my heart palpitating and BP going up and down.

The MORON doctors told me I had ANXIETY. Not one of the physicians in the early stages even SUGGESTED apnea, even though
i was a 50 year old white male stocky with a thick neck and a narrow airway describing breathing problems.

My wife has migraines which I never one time ever questioned in my mind: she said it i believed it.

Chronic health problems are dang dangerous physically, emotionally and maritally unless youre with a rock solid traditional
loving and empathetic person who who are one with. IF not, youre pretty much on your own.

sleepstar

Postby sleepstar on Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:35 pm

DavidCarolina wrote:WHen i got sick sudden onset both apnea and adrenal problems my wife told me straight out she didnt believe me or that
I was exaggerating.

All this even though she was in the ER before diagnosis and saw my heart palpitating and BP going up and down.

The MORON doctors told me I had ANXIETY. Not one of the physicians in the early stages even SUGGESTED apnea, even though
i was a 50 year old white male stocky with a thick neck and a narrow airway describing breathing problems.

My wife has migraines which I never one time ever questioned in my mind: she said it i believed it.

Chronic health problems are dang dangerous physically, emotionally and maritally unless youre with a rock solid traditional
loving and empathetic person who who are one with. IF not, youre pretty much on your own.

It really worries me how many doctors don't know about OSA.

Robotcoupe

Postby Robotcoupe on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey all,

I am waiting as I write this for the tech to come with my first cpap machine today.
Looking forward to this greatly, as my one experience was during a sleep study where I used a cpap for half the night.
I woke up the next morning with so much energy, I realized... I'm not getting old or slowing down.... I've just been dealing with the effects of sleep apnea!

I look forward to being my old self!

vicred

Postby vicred on Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi there, thanks for the wonderful letter. It has been so hard for me especially since i am still working fulltime and am in my 30s . I have been off work for so long as i did not know i had sleep apnea or a sleep disorder and i just couldn't work for few months due to fatigue and inability to concentrate. this year i went back to work and after a few days could not work again. then i was finally diagnosed with apnea and started using machine. after a few weeks, thought i was ok and told work i am fine. this week i went to work for two days and today woke up feeling so sick and tired and had to call in sick again..after all those promises. also since their payroll dept is not very good, they overpaid me for a month and i have to pay back now but i dont even know when i can work again. everyday, and every hour its a struggle to feel normal again...it's like i am a walking zombie..some hours i feel normal and some hours i feel so sleepy..i also cannot drive more than 5km away from home as i feel so sleepy at traffic lights in the morning and have to depend on someone to drive me everyday around their own timetables....it really really sucks!!!and sometimes i get so depressed..when will i be normal and functional again?

idamtnboy

Postby idamtnboy on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:22 pm

vicred wrote:Hi there, thanks for the wonderful letter. It has been so hard for me especially since i am still working fulltime and am in my 30s . I have been off work for so long as i did not know i had sleep apnea or a sleep disorder and i just couldn't work for few months due to fatigue and inability to concentrate. this year i went back to work and after a few days could not work again. then i was finally diagnosed with apnea and started using machine. after a few weeks, thought i was ok and told work i am fine. this week i went to work for two days and today woke up feeling so sick and tired and had to call in sick again..after all those promises. also since their payroll dept is not very good, they overpaid me for a month and i have to pay back now but i dont even know when i can work again. everyday, and every hour its a struggle to feel normal again...it's like i am a walking zombie..some hours i feel normal and some hours i feel so sleepy..i also cannot drive more than 5km away from home as i feel so sleepy at traffic lights in the morning and have to depend on someone to drive me everyday around their own timetables....it really really sucks!!!and sometimes i get so depressed..when will i be normal and functional again?

You really need to talk to your doctor about this. Sure sounds like there may something a whole lot more than just OSA going on, or your machine settings are not right.

Additional Comments: Hose management - rubber band tied to casement window crank handle! Hey, it works! S/W is 3.13, not 3.7

justmissjulie

Postby justmissjulie on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:03 pm

This is my very first post on a forum of any kind.

I shot through those four stages -- shock, denial, depression, acceptance -- in no time at all. I was truly EXCITED by the prospect of getting my own machine and experiencing wakefulness for the first time in what appears to be many years. I believe I have been given a new lease on life -- only good things can come from strapping that mask to my face every night. With an AHI of over 50, I can only assume that death wasn't too far around the corner for me.

Last night was my second night and I kept the mask on all night. It's nearly 7pm and I'm still wide awake even after watching a few television shows -- I can't believe it!! Sure, I haven't gone for a walk or started to jog down the street; but, that's coming, my Friends, that is definitely coming.

I will thank God for my new sleep buddy for the rest of my now potentially long life.

daisy99

Postby daisy99 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm

How do I know which cpap machine I should buy, which provider to use, which mask to ask for, it is all very confusing. Then the insurance must be considered. I really do not know where to start. The doctor recommended a type I never heard of (Fisher&Paykel), the only place in Dallas or Ft Worth, if you can believe is 56 miles from my house -- entirely too far.

SleepWellCPAP

Postby SleepWellCPAP on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Hello All!

Excellent posts concerning the acclimation period that unfortunately comes with adapting to CPAP usage. The upside is that you all have some very important health benefits and increased energy to look forward to, as long as we can over any difficulties.

Regarding the last post about what equipment, mask, etc etc. In most cases, your initial mask is determined at your titration study. Fisher and Paykel, by the way generally makes masks appropriate for higher pressures due to the foam insert. The machine however, can be determined by quite a few factors. The doctor's preference of brand and model, makes a big difference in what your equipment provider will offer you and what equipment actually worked during your study. Did CPAP work, or did you need bipap or vpap?

I'll be happy to offer some suggestions. I'll need to know a little more information. What is your pressure? Do you need full face mask? How did the your sleep studies go? Were you able to sleep during your titration? Did you get dried out? Did they, by chance, tell you what your apnea hypopnea index (AHI) was?

Jim
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

kaiasgram

Postby kaiasgram on Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:03 pm

Preacher29 wrote:Greetings. I am a newly diagnosed sleep apnea patient, and I found this thread very helpful indeed. Having a little trouble with acclimating to the CPAP (at least I don't take it off in my sleep like some people do) but I think I am starting to get used to it. Mostly I sometimes have difficulty breathing when sleeping on my back, and I am not sure if I am "mouth breathing" sometimes or not. I do seem to be going through a fair amount of water in the humidifier. My wife said that I was for a while but I have tried various means of stopping that. Not sure how well it is working.

I wonder if I might need a full face mask but I am told that those don't do as well and my respiratory therapist doesn't really want to do that.

Welcome Preacher,

Please come introduce yourself down in the "Topics" section of the forum (start a new thread), where people are more likely to spot your post. If you also list your machine and mask as you see in most of our signature boxes, you'll get lots of help from the experienced cpap users on the forum.

Video tutorials for most CPAP/APAP machines: CPAP Video Library
Clinician manuals: Apnea Board website.
Download SleepyHead: http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/
Take a screenshot on a Mac: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5775

ringo728

Postby ringo728 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks I needed to read this especially tonight. It's been a tough adjustment but through the grace of God I will get through it.

Additional Comments: Heated slimline hose

OceanloverOH

Postby OceanloverOH on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi, everyone. I just had a sleep study last night (what an experience....I have facial claustrophobia and have trouble tolerating a mask). I managed it, though. Mouthbreather so had to go with a full-face mask. The respiratory sleep tech told me I absolutely have severe sleep apnea, and she'd leave it to the doc to discuss the rest early next week. I'm so anxious about this.....I'm gonna hang out here and hopefully benefit from the experience of real folks like you. TIA.

Ocean

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)