Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LisaSleep

Re: Especially for newly diagnosed - Dealing with Change

Postby LisaSleep on Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:33 pm

The post of that story from the person who has exoquently placed a medical diagnosis inn a category of loss, is absolutely metaphoric, analytic and very introspective.. I must say I am a Mental Health Counselor working with patients in the field of sleep disorders and specifically sleep apneaand this was absolutely beautiful and well stated... I wish all of you the best that life with a new perspective has to offer... The air that you breathe, the sleep that you need will absolutely have the most significan and positive impact on youdr life... You will get through this and you will be so glad that you did... The treatment of a cpap is life altering and will help your body, brain and soul to become haromonious.. Be well.... LisaSleep

Denial Dave

Postby Denial Dave on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:16 am

Finally made it through my first night without feeling the need to rip off the mask.

I feel rested , but my lungs & chest feel like they ran a marathon.

How can I feel rested & exhausted at the same time??

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Dai220

Postby Dai220 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:45 am

Hi been on CPAP machine for three weeks my AHI drop but has risen again what should it be or what should I be looking to acheive Not happy with mask anyone on the hybrid

Pugsy

Postby Pugsy on Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:07 am

Dai220 wrote:Hi been on CPAP machine for three weeks my AHI drop but has risen again what should it be or what should I be looking to acheive Not happy with mask anyone on the hybrid

This thread really isn't the place to ask for help. Your problems will get lost because this was mostly a "read" thread.
For specific help it would be better if you started a new thread in the main part of the forum for your specific problem.
That way all the members will get a chance to see it and offer their thoughts. Many of them have already read this thread and don't come back here.

Additional Comments: Backups..AirCurve 10 ST, S9 Adapt, PR S1 Bipap #760

Angelika64

Postby Angelika64 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 am

i m all new to this.I knew I had troubles with sleeping for the last five years.It was the daily battle fighting with my tri west health i surance, to get three sleep apnea tests scheduled and approved for payment.Now, I have the maschine since this Tuesday.My battle now is getting used to the small noise level from the machine and the out flow of air from the nose piece. i m a very ligeht sleeper and its driving me nuts.Its 2 am midnight.I m sitting in my bed, with all the gear on.I cant sleep.HELP!I want to give it a good chance..

RogerSC

Postby RogerSC on Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:11 am

Angelika64 wrote:i m all new to this.I knew I had troubles with sleeping for the last five years.It was the daily battle fighting with my tri west health i surance, to get three sleep apnea tests scheduled and approved for payment.Now, I have the maschine since this Tuesday.My battle now is getting used to the small noise level from the machine and the out flow of air from the nose piece. i m a very ligeht sleeper and its driving me nuts.Its 2 am midnight.I m sitting in my bed, with all the gear on.I cant sleep.HELP!I want to give it a good chance..

Hey Angelika, a couple of suggestions. First off, I'd put this in the general forum so more people see it, and can suggest things that you can try. Also *smile*, I'm also a very light sleeper, so I used Ambien the first week to get used to sleeping with the machine and that worked for me. After that, I went cold turkey, and getting to sleep wasn't very hard, I had gotten pretty much used to it. The other thing is that I sleep with earplugs, have been for several years before CPAP. As a result, all I hear is my own breathing, I don't hear the machine at all.

The key is to keep trying, and try various things. Don't give up, please. If nothing else, after while you'll have to sleep, your body will demand it, if for no other reason *smile*.

Bazeman

Postby Bazeman on Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:51 pm

Thanks, I am a new cpap user going on my 5th night. Its definitely not easy. :(
Bazeman

JChester

Postby JChester on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Thank you for such a well-written, thoroughly thought out, beautiful & insightful primer into the world of apnea & CPAP. (I printed a copy for my wife!)

As a B.S. Psychology, I appreciate your research & attention to detail, as well as your amazingly sympathetic approach to your fellow humans!
Acknowledging the theological differences in your perception of the ordeal & that of the reader is KEY to its universal acceptance & is greatly appreciated.

My path was somewhat different...

I'd long suspected, from reports from my wife & others, that I was probably SDB. But... I was SO RELIEVED to hear that, after my sleep study, I was a severe apnea case & that it may have been a contributing/primary factor in my Atrial Fibrillation, which had, in turn, caused my Congestive Heart Failure! (I'd already had "all of the above" behavioral stages you describe, from my CHF diagnosis & having been admitted for 6 days & 18 liters of fluid removal!)

I was SO happy to get my CPAP (2 weeks ago) because I KNEW that my wife & I would both FINALLY get a decent night's sleep (ACCOMPLISHED!) ...and that it will, hopefully, have a positive effect on my A-Fib.

So far... so GOOD! (TIP: Although the S9 is VERY quiet, we always run a box-fan in our bedroom, just for background noise. Always have. Neither of us can sleep in total silence.)

Thanks again for affirming what I've been hoping for!

I look forward to being both a learning & contributing member on this forum.

Cheers!

JC

...you poor old sod...
...you see, it's only ME!

RestedRebel

Postby RestedRebel on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi. I'm a new member to this board, having been recently diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. When I had a recent colonoscopy, the anesthetist told me I had sleep apnea and to talk to my doctor about having a sleep study. My family doctor was extremely supportive and told me that he also suspected he was suffering from sleep apnea and was going to have to undergo a sleep study himself. I told him that I was concerned because my nose is always stuffed up and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to breathe through my nose. He told me this was one of the symptoms of sleep apnea and that changes and improvements have been made over the years, and that sleep apnea is the most underdiagnosed disorder around.

Because I suffer from anxiety, I took an anxiety pill both nights of my sleep study, which probably helped a lot although I did have trouble sleeping while being hooked up to all those monitors. I brought home my machine on December 26 and took anxiety pills for the first week until I got used to the machine. I had a little trouble sleeping the first night but my head felt clear-headed in the morning. During the course of the week, I learned I can sleep on my side or stomach with my head turned to the side, as I have a nasal pillow which allows me quite a bit of freedom of movement. Since the first day, my nasal passages have been clear and I can breathe all night and all day (I used to mouth breathe.) My machine also has a humidifier, and my nose feels so good in the morning as opposed to before I was put on my CPAP machine. I've maintained a positive attitude and not having a dry, irritated nose in the morning, makes my machine something I look forward to using. Feeling more rested is another benefit. The third benefit is that I'm happy, and no longer depressed. You see, I had been tired all the time even though I slept long hours which means that the quality of my sleep had been bad. To see life in a happy and positive way as opposed to be being too tired to do anything or look forward to anything is a huge improvement.

The question I have for the community is how often others clean the hoses to their machines. I don't want to get any kind of infection, but is it really necessary to clean the tube each and every week?

It's a relief to know why I was depressed, to know that I can get off my anti-depressants, and to know that my blood pressure meds will be able to be reduced after being treated for my disorder. I've also been unable to lose weight and had gained some, so it's wonderful to know that the weight loss should occur as well. I could fall asleep just sitting in a chair and reading, so it's nice to know why that was happening and to know that I can do something about that.

I checked my AHI score after a week of using my machine, and the number reads 0.9. Can anyone tell me what this number means? Thanks. I look forward to participating and sharing my ideas and viewpoints with the community.

HoseCrusher

Postby HoseCrusher on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Isn't it wonderful when a treatment works well...

It sounds like you are off to a good start. Now all you need to do is keep using your machine every night.

You should clean your equipment based upon your immune system.

Those with a strong immune system seldom (if ever) clean their hoses. Those with a weaker immune system find periodic cleaning helps eliminate one possible source of infection.

Those who have grandchildren that like to play fighter pilot and mask up using grandpa's mask, clean after every visit...

During your sleep study your body functions were monitored. These included air flow, pulse rate, blood oxygen levels, heart function, brain function, and body movement. The data from this monitoring provides the information needed to diagnose sleeping problems.

xPAP machines monitor air flow. They make an effort to provide feedback on disruptions in air flow and report that as an apnea hypopnea index (AHI). This gives us a number to keep track of. The closer to 0 it is, the better our sleep should have been. The problem is that it is only 1 indicator. The machine doesn't know what caused the interruption in air flow.

If the cat jumps on you in the middle of the night, this interruption of air flow has nothing to do with a sleep disorder...

In general, the AHI reported by the machine is useful. If you see it as being stable, things are good. If suddenly you see it increasing, it is time to take a look at what is going on and try to gather as much information as you can and with the help of your doctor figure out how to eliminate the problem.

Machine is an S8 Autoset II. SpO2 96+% and holding...

RestedRebel

Postby RestedRebel on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:22 pm

I have continued to use my machine every night, and last night was the best night of sleep I have had in ages. Years. I woke up feeling fresh and energetic, and of course, as with the first night and each subsequent night, my nose and throat have been clear upon waking in the morning. Even on the telephone people can tell that my voice has cleared up. My AHI for last night was .6 and my overall AHI is 1, so I would say this machine is doing me a world of good. I clean my nose pillow mask every night before I go to bed and clean out the water reservoir. I'll have to change my filter on Thursday because it will have been two weeks since I first started using it.

I'm using a
F&P Icon™ Auto CPAP with Humidifier and ThermoSmart™ Tube, and it seems to be perfect for meeting my needs. I don't see any examples of my nose pillow mask on-line, but it is also a F & P with just a nasal mask and a band to hold it on and it seems to keep a tight seal.

I am totally pleased with my CPAP experience thus far, feel so much better, and look forward to feeling a lot better as I continue to use my machine.

madmoe

Postby madmoe on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 am

I guess I'm on the other end of this spectrum. I was diagnosed in September 2012, had an AHI of 61. My airflow is set to 18 currently. The Sleep Study people said 25 but my Respiratory person suggested 18 to start with and see where it goes. I have always been a side sleeper, but found when I use my mask on my side, I swallow so much air that the pain in my gut wakes me up. This means I sleep on my back, which is also taking getting used to. I have tried many different masks. I tried the nose mask and pillows, but found that I always felt like I was suffocating, could not get enough air.

I found that my jaw kept dropping open so far that it would go outside the mask, so I started using a chin strap to keep it more closed.

I've woken up during the night with my mask leaking bad enough to have to shut down the machine, adjust the mask, and restart. The second time that happens in the night I usually leave it off out of frustration.

I have yet to be able to sleep all night hooked up to this thing. I know I need it, but thus far have not been having a good experience....

Summer Rain

Postby Summer Rain on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:37 pm

idamtnboy wrote:In response to the discussion in the thread about an unsupportive spouse I felt prompted to revise a write up I have concerning dealing with change. We encounter changes of all sorts through life, including the one when we received the diagnosis of sleep apnea. How we respond is almost always the same, albeit in different degrees and intensity. The emotional phases we go through are shock, denial, depression, and acceptance.

The information I share is derived from a work seminar on the subject and my own experiences of life. I trust it will be of benefit to some.

Coping with Change for CPAP Patients

I just want to thank you so much for your "amazingly insightful" way of decribing how this "transformational time" can be for a new Cpap user! I sorta laughed and cried as I read it....as you REAllY were describing me to a "T" ! I am brand new to this sight....not even sure I am making this post the right way........? But the first thing I read was your post and I can't tell you how much it helped me to know that there were others who understood!! I am still transitioning out of "shock and denial"...so say a little prayer for me! Yes, I am depending on GOD to get me through this , too! :wink:

idamtnboy

Postby idamtnboy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Summer Rain wrote:I just want to thank you so much for your "amazingly insightful" way of decribing how this "transformational time" can be for a new Cpap user! I sorta laughed and cried as I read it....as you REAllY were describing me to a "T" ! I am brand new to this sight....not even sure I am making this post the right way........? But the first thing I read was your post and I can't tell you how much it helped me to know that there were others who understood!! I am still transitioning out of "shock and denial"...so say a little prayer for me! Yes, I am depending on GOD to get me through this , too! :wink:

Thank you for your kind words. And thank you to everyone else who has read and commented on my article. Makes me truly glad I was able to share it.

I don't come back and respond every time someone comments simply so this topic remains free of comments that add little to its substance. But I do read all of them. The variation in the experiences and feelings of all CPAP users is very interesting and sometimes rather intriguing. Again, thank you to everyone.

rjwatson

Postby rjwatson on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:16 pm

I'm newly diagnosed. I have numerous medical issues along with sever obstructive sleep apnea. I started with an auto cpap machine. The mask is good, the sound I can deal with, and set-up is not complicated. My husband is getting good sleep now that I'm not snoring, gasping, and not breathing. The problem I'm having is nightmares. Very vivid nightmares. My neurologist said it is typical and will get better when I get reserve sleep banks; which may take several months to years. I don't have a choice. I desperately need good night's sleep because of diabetes, high blood pressure, 2 pulmonary emboli at different times, depression and last but not least, CIDP which is a neurological disease that effects the brain. Lawd have mercy. I would love to sleep without nightmares.

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)