Especially for newly diagnosed - Dealing with Change

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cwire

Re: Especially for newly diagnosed - Dealing with Change

Post by Cwire » Mon May 08, 2017 9:10 am

Greetings all, My name is Mark and I'm a new CPAP user. Have had sleep apnea for many years and was finally tired of being tired. The lack of energy, the falling asleep at my desk at work and not having the fun with my family like I used to finally drove me over the edge to get help. I'm getting used to my CPAP machine, only 4 night in. Haven't slept a full 8 hours yet and still wake up a couple times a night but after reading on the forums here, that is kind of normal. Glad to be here and am glad to see so many in my situation.

KevinG

Post by KevinG » Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed in 2014 but it took 3 years to clear insurance and get an APAP. Been using it for a week, very frustrating experience (ResMed chose nasal pillows). I found the headstrap, nasal pillows, and long hose very cumbersome and could only get through 3-4 hours per night. Last night I got 8 hours in (according to the ResMed app). It also said I only had 5 apnea events overnight (I was diagnosed with 18/hour, which I know is moderate). My question is, I feel really tired today - once you get through full evenings, is there a period of "sleep hangover"? I don't know if I didn't really sleep or I did like the app suggests but now I have to adjust to that?

Thanks,
KG

Night Warrior

Post by Night Warrior » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:16 pm

Thank you for this honest, inspiring, and heartfelt writing that is helping me to work through my OSA diagnosis. You are a talented healer. Like many of the members who responded, I'm new to CPAP and the early days of CPAP can be dark times.

patriot1405

Post by patriot1405 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 am

Hey everyone, I just had the sleep study done last Saturday. Waiting now for my cpap machine. Still feeling a little uncomfortable with it. I'm sure there's an adjustment period. Looking forward to finally getting a good night's sleep and maybe some much needed energy.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

Uhhh...f.me

Post by Uhhh...f.me » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am

Hi there,
I noticed the file was no longer available to download. I've just been diagnosed as well, and I'm going through some emotions... well, not sure how to feel. Also, as a part time single father, I'm worried how the noise will affect the little guy since he sleeps in the same room as me in his crib.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:15 pm

Noise is similar to leaving a good fan on, a cheap fan might be noisier.

rhrhguest

Post by rhrhguest » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:58 am

It depends on the machine you have. Mine is a Resmed Airsense 10, and the only noise is when I first put the mask on. But you'll also have to get used to shutting the machine off before you take your mask off. The implication I got from the respiratory tech was that I could take the mask off leaving the machine on (or leave the mask on and detach from the tubing), and go use the bathroom and then go back. But you have to shut it off if you take the mask off or the noise is horrendous.

We have an air cleaner which is much further from me than my CPAP machine, and it is much noisier than the CPAP machine. That's an option too - get a white noise machine (has the sound of waves or similar) and that might help to keep the background noise steady.

And since your concern is your child, clearly having you alive, and healthy, would be a lot better for your child than the alternative If you haven't gotten your CPAP machine yet, make sure they know that low noise is a must for you.

Me, I'm having trouble because after three weeks, I'm still sleeping really poorly. Doctors are looking at whether I have a thyroid problem too, but the results have been normal sometimes and abnormal other times. I am going to see an ENT, and if my throat issues aren't due to thyroid, maybe the ENT can get me something to help. It has been since I started the CPAP, but I am not sure if it is due to the CPAP that my throat feels closed up all the time, and my voice is hoarse. Searching on that symptom brings up thyroid issues much more than CPAP issues.

Frustrated guest

Post by Frustrated guest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:33 am

Should this still be pinned if no article is available to view?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:48 am

Links move and die of the internet, that's life. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

raysgirl

Post by raysgirl » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:19 am

I was actually delighted with my diagnosis. I knew there was a problem, and that was far more troubling than the diagnosis. My husband absolutely hated my snoring and that would wake him even out of a drunken stupor, which happened far too often, both the drunken stupors and waking him. He was more than supportive for my use of a cpap and he really helped me be compliant. He even told me the mask was sexy, a bold face lie, I know, but it still made me smile.

He has been gone for 11 years, nearly, and I really miss him desperately still. There was no bargaining with God for that one. I went to bed one night, he promised to be up shortly. He never did come up and I found his body in his favorite chair next to the wood stove, the following morning.

What I find so truly remarkable is those of you who are bargaining with God, whatever God you bargain with, you are at least talking to Him. My faith was what got through the dark hours. I lost my home to a fire five years later, razed with everything in it. Faith got me through that too.

For anyone newly diagnosed, my advice would be not to grieve, but to try to be happy that a good nights sleep is on the horizon. (I really want to use the word rejoice, but that is tough if the diagnosis is a shock. I KNEW I had sleep apnea, so hearing someone say it was not a shock, and I was on to the next step immediately. ) I asked for a new sleep study when my then 4 year old grandchild was shaking me when I nodded off (and not for the first time) when I was supposed to be watching her. I felt so irresponsible but I was always so exhausted. I have fallen asleep more than once behind the wheel. I now limit myself to no more than 1 hour drive time and have another driver who can take over if I do get tired, but that has been so much better with more and better sleep. There have been too many pluses to my diagnosis and better sleep.

FaethSilverwolf

Post by FaethSilverwolf » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:43 pm

This says that the file could not be retrieved. I'd love to read this article but It's unaccessible.

Additional Comments: My pressure are 18.0 cmH2O
"May the Day find you at peace, and leave you with hope."
taken from Voyager season 2 Episode 22
Blessed Be
FaethSilverwolf

MPL

Post by MPL » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 am

Hello
I just recently had a sleep study and received the result from my neurologist who said my AHI was 86 and Desaturation 79%. When they put a full face mask on me during the sleep study I had no problem and slept well. When my provider tried to fit me for a mask at home it has not gone so well. Both full face and nasal masks cause me (a mouth breather) to gush air from my mouth when I open it. As long as my mouth is closed and I'm breathing through my nose it's fine. Unfortunately my mouth opens as soon as I fall asleep and it's like being in a carnival wind tunnel. To stop it I have to take off my mask and start the CPAP all over as just closing my mouth doesn't seem to stop the air blowing at full blast. My CPAP uses a ramp function. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:18 am

MPL wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:13 am
Hello
I just recently had a sleep study and received the result from my neurologist who said my AHI was 86 and Desaturation 79%. When they put a full face mask on me during the sleep study I had no problem and slept well. When my provider tried to fit me for a mask at home it has not gone so well. Both full face and nasal masks cause me (a mouth breather) to gush air from my mouth when I open it. As long as my mouth is closed and I'm breathing through my nose it's fine. Unfortunately my mouth opens as soon as I fall asleep and it's like being in a carnival wind tunnel. To stop it I have to take off my mask and start the CPAP all over as just closing my mouth doesn't seem to stop the air blowing at full blast. My CPAP uses a ramp function. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest that you start a new topic with your issues on the main forum page.
This old thread is mainly a read only thread and most of the forum veterans who could help you won't bother reading it.
It's better if you have your own thread where all we have to do is devote our attention to your problem and not have it buried here in the huge and very old thread.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

orvals

Post by orvals » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:03 pm

Link not working anymore. Anybody has a copy of it we can access?

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:56 pm

The best thing I can say for the newly diagnosed is once you get your cpap never give up and use it every night without fail. It works wonders if you can get a machine and mask that works well. 4 you.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013