Recommendations for a back up machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
trytryagain

Recommendations for a back up machine

Post by trytryagain » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:39 pm

What would you recommend as a back up machine.? I'd be stuck without a machine if anything happened to this one. I'm traveling for the first time since I started therapy. In June I'll be going to Hawaii and I'm thinking about getting a backup machine for travel or emergencies. Do I need all the bells and whistles? I took a glance at CPAP auction but haven't a clue what to look for. I only know my Resmed auto as it is my first and only machine.

chrisp

Re: Recommendations for a back up machine

Post by chrisp » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:45 pm

What to use for travel or back? I bought 2ea. 420e units . that was in 2004. They are identical and they are set up exactly the same. I switch them out ocasionally to keep the hrs even. I am now loooking to replace them with the devilbis intellipap. I can buy 2 of these complete for the price of 1 resmed and have $$$ left over . Otherwise if you have your apnea under control you can probably tolerate any unit set at the proper pressure. Buy the cheapest thing you can find.
Don't get caught in the hype.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:17 am

I bought the same identical unit for my travel/backup but keep in mind my business trips can sometimes go for 1 month. It really depends on budget, current usage patterns, etc.

For instance, if you're on straight cpap, no EPR, no humidifier required, then a simple blower for a few day vacaton/backup would be fine. On the other hand if you use apap setting, require EPR, humidifier, etc. than best bet is to find similar or identical machine.

The S8 Autoset II is the older version of the S9, try secondwindcpap.com for a used unit or a new open box unit. Another on-line dealer that I recently used [once] to buy nasal pillow masks is http://www.youneedsleep.com.

And of course check our cpap.com site.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:37 am

The main issue with getting an S8 vs an S9... you'll need a specialized card reader that is next to impossible to find.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:56 am

cflame1 wrote:The main issue with getting an S8 vs an S9... you'll need a specialized card reader that is next to impossible to find.
Not recommending S8 per se, just indicating they are available on various on-line sites. And it's a backup unit, not primary unit?

inkdesigner

Post by inkdesigner » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:14 am

cflame1 wrote:The main issue with getting an S8 vs an S9... you'll need a specialized card reader that is next to impossible to find.
There is a guy on eBay in Israel that seems to have quite a few card readers for the S8. They look like they are genuine Resmed product. The bigger issue would be finding a data card for the S8 if the one you get doesn't have one. I know I am looking for a card now and not having much luck.

Inkdesigner

pfd161

Post by pfd161 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 am

The main issue with getting an S8 vs an S9... you'll need a specialized card reader that is next to impossible to find.
my new S9 autoset uses a standard card reader... i got mine for cheap money at Radio Shack...

D>

jonnybee

Post by jonnybee » Mon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

inkdesigner wrote:
There is a guy on eBay in Israel that seems to have quite a few card readers for the S8. They look like they are genuine Resmed product. The bigger issue would be finding a data card for the S8 if the one you get doesn't have one. I know I am looking for a card now and not having much luck.

Inkdesigner
The S8 VPAP S that I bought for a backup came with a card but no reader. I ordered a reader from the guy in Israel three weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I just emailed him and asked him what's going on. If I get the reader, I'll post the info. If I don't get the card, I will BROADCAST that info.
ResMed S9 Autoset
ResMed AirFit F20 mask with headgear

TooGroggy

Post by TooGroggy » Mon May 02, 2011 10:45 pm

trytryagain wrote:What would you recommend as a back up machine.?
Although any machine could serve as a backup, I suggest getting something that is as close as possible to what you have. Not only will this ensure that the machine works the same way you are used to (e.g., EPR, climateline, etc.), but you won't have to buy a second of accessories (e.g., humidifier).

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue May 03, 2011 10:13 am

I went down the "different machine" route for my travel/backup gear. I have the zzz-PAP silent traveler with the humidifier for travel, while I have the DME provided ResMed S9 Elite that stays at home. the zzz-Pap has no data collection outside of the "hours run" tracking that every xPAP has. However, while I'm on the road, I'm not looking to track results - which are going to be all skewed just because I'm not in the same time zone/bed/environment I'm used to anyway. So for me the cheaper and lighter machine that didn't have data collection made sense.

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 am

Originally when i was looking for a backup machine, I was thinking of getting basically the same as my current machine (except the Auto version). The intent was so that I could have mix and match parts between the two....plus easier to use the same software to look at data.

But, then I wanted other features...like direct battery operation, better portability...newer bells and whistles....quieter, etc.

Some day I'm going to get around to ordering one or two....but someday I want to see what its like to have left over FSA money that I need to use.....since the OSA dx, I blow through my FSA fast....and can't increase it much more (and I'm already putting more in than what the new healthcare measure would allow...)

last year I put 4x more than the year before, this year 2.5x more than last year. I think next year I'm going to have to put in the whole $5k max (which goes down to $2.5k max in 2013?)

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

TalonNYC

Post by TalonNYC » Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 am

TheDreamer wrote:
last year I put 4x more than the year before, this year 2.5x more than last year. I think next year I'm going to have to put in the whole $5k max (which goes down to $2.5k max in 2013?)
Nope, 2012. Our fiscal year overlaps the calendar, and we were informed this year that we're not allowed to designate more than 2.5K