High Pressure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dkdc

High Pressure

Post by dkdc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

I have a friend who just got diagnosed and they have her pressure at 18 ! Leaks all over the place, but she is committed to making it work. I don't have much more info, other than that she is a mouth breather.

Can anyone point me to some helpful (and simple) info? I think she got a new mask last week, maybe it will work better. But advice is always better than learning from mistakes.

I can find out more info from her, as well if needed.

She is really new and is not very comfortable with computers or technical details - so I am asking for her. She is also over 80 if that means anything, but in pretty good health.
Masks tried: Mirage Activa Nasal, Comfort Gel Nasal, Full Life, Fit Life

KatieW

Re: High Pressure

Post by KatieW » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Are you in the same city as her? Can you find out the make and model of her xpap and mask. Perhaps those who have the same machine and mask can provide some suggestions.

The large mask manufacturers have pretty good info on their websites about how to adjust their masks, and sometimes a video.

It sounds like she needs one-on-help, perhaps from you, or her sleep doc.

For simple info, try the CPAP Wicki--yellow lightbulb at top of page.

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 pm

ResMed EPR or Respironics C or A flex may be available on her machine............I'm not sure if the data you posted as equipment is yours or hers.....

A more wonderful option is bipap or vpap (again name depends on the brand)...........insurance will pay with pressures over 15 and a "failed" attempt at cpap. There are also situations regarding centrals, etc--but these are the two that I remember and apply to this situation. I recently switched and love it!

A bipap uses two pressures--one to keep the airway open, and one for expiration. The change was flawless, and I am so much more comfortable.

Caveat: I have only used ResMed equipment, and personally do not know the differences between C flex and A flex.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

dkdc

Post by dkdc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:06 pm

Equipment below is mine. If I asked her what she has - she probably wouldn't know. But I will ask.

I was thinking, as you mentioned, that the doctor's thought was that she needs to fail on cpap first, and then can use an BIPAP or APAP or something else. I am familiar only with CPAP.

dkdc

Post by dkdc » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:06 pm

Katie -

Thanks for your reply.

I will try to find out her machine and mask.

She is getting visits from her DME supplier.