taping mouth shut?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GumbyCT

Re: taping mouth shut?

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:14 pm

nanwilson wrote:Please do a search on taping in the top banner on the page ....you will get TONS of info on taping and I think we have all decided that taping is not dangerous. You will wake up immediaetly if you barf ...I certainly did, had no problem just went quickly to the bathroom and cleaned up. If you use a paper tape like micropore or painters tape it will come off pretty darn fast if it gets over wet. I don't tape anymore because I am allergic to ANY tape, even micropore, but when I was using it I DID throw up, woke up immediately.
I am willing to bet the tape can be removed faster than most chin straps. Chin straps are dangerous if you wanna do something; outlaw those chin straps.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:54 pm

ems wrote:*Sorry Pugsy~ now you can hope some more.
Your type of comments are not the kind I was referring to. I was referring to the arguing and fighting and "prove this" and "prove that" fights that detract from normal discussion.
The fighting that goes on which leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth because someone just has to have the last word...

FWIW...when I first started my cpap therapy and I read about taping...I though OMG how awful....no way could I ever do that. Then I found the need to try it and found out it wasn't bad at all.
I do understand that there are some people who just don't want to try it and that is a good enough reason not to try it. I don't want to use a full face mask. I hate the thought. I have my reasons and those are good enough for me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

crookneez

Post by crookneez » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 pm

OK, I'm a newbie here (thanks for being such a great group of sharing individuals) but not a newbie CPAP user.
I've successfully used Resmed Autoset machines for 13 years now ONLY to have the 'mouth open' problem crop up recently.
It's driving me crazy and it's how I found this site in the first place.

It taping is likely to help (I'm not too keen on a full face mask) what type of tapes are best to use for minimum irritation to the sensitive skin around one's mouth.
I'm not too worried about throwing up in my sleep at my age (67), the last time I did that I was in my late teens and I should have been in hospital on the stomach pump for alcoholic poisoning.

EDIT: I don't know if losing almost 30kg (66lb) might have something to do with my problem.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 pm

crookneez wrote:It taping is likely to help (I'm not too keen on a full face mask) what type of tapes are best to use for minimum irritation to the sensitive skin around one's mouth.
I'm not too worried about throwing up in my sleep at my age (67), the last time I did that I was in my late teens and I should have been in hospital on the stomach pump for alcoholic poisoning.
I used Blue 3M painter's tape..the 2 inch stuff. They make a Blue painter's tape that is Delicate but I used the regular because I had it handy and I am a tightwad. The delicate has adhesive that is probably a bit less harsh on the skin.
It provides decent sealing ability but in a pinch one can break the seal fairly easily. I could do it easily with a yawn or just a little effort to open the mouth. I suggest to people that they experiment while awake. It doesn't set up like cement at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

deltadave

Re: Unvented FFM

Post by deltadave » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:09 am

ems wrote:Well, maybe it isn't dangerous in the way some people think it is.
Oh for goodness sakes!
...other than food...

ems

Re: Unvented FFM

Post by ems » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 am

deltadave wrote:
ems wrote:Well, maybe it isn't dangerous in the way some people think it is.
Oh for goodness sakes!

Well... it is 3:00 a.m....
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

bipapper

Post by bipapper » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:02 am

.....there's always a plastic bag!!! just saying.....

Wantok

Post by Wantok » Mon May 27, 2013 4:08 pm

I have moderate OSA and my doctor told me to tape my mouth as he didn't want to start me out with a full mask as he thought it might be too intimidating.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Wantok wrote:I have moderate OSA and my doctor told me to tape my mouth as he didn't want to start me out with a full mask as he thought it might be too intimidating.
That might be a first for the forum. Usually medical professionals recoil at the idea.

pootsie

Post by pootsie » Mon May 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Pugsy wrote: The fighting that goes on which leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth because someone just has to have the last word...
I think the bad taste in the mouth is from all of this talk of vomiting with your mouth taped shut.. EWWwwwww.

That said, I am hoping I get my chin strap soon (backorder) and that it works. I do not like this taping idea. I will try it if I have to but ...

You are the Zzz's knees!

Sleep_Sleuth

Post by Sleep_Sleuth » Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 am

I've only been using CPAP for about two weeks. The Sleep Scientist who did my sleep study & also hires out/sells the equipment recommended I tape my mouth shut. I use the new Swift FX Nano Nasal Mask, & I was getting a dry throat. Taping my mouth freaked me out, but not as much as having to use a full-face mask. I tape every night & dont get the dry throat anymore.

The Sleep Scientist wasn't the first medical professional to advise me to tape my mouth shut while sleeping. I seea neuromuscular dentist for orthodontic-related TMJ. She also recommended I tape my mouth at night, as well as focussing on nose-breathing while awake. Ive definitely noticed less nasal congestion, & best of all, no sinusitis when Ive gotten colds (frequent in our house, courtesy of the kids ).

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue May 28, 2013 11:50 am

For more than any person could ever want to read about mouth taping (plus a few other ways to handle mouth air leaks)...

LINKS to: Mouth leaks - Air Leaks - Tape - DIY Guard
viewtopic.php?t=8011
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

SleepyonMagnoliaSt

Post by SleepyonMagnoliaSt » Tue May 28, 2013 3:27 pm

I've never heard that people tape their mouths! This is fascinating! Now to read the links!

Dreamrobot

Post by Dreamrobot » Tue May 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Uh oh This secret's out! Gotta keep the other secrets under lock peops
I used to tape I admit it, but since then I'm following a different school of thought (neck support). I just got tired of taping, or maybe the fad wore off
Dreamrobot

You think I look scary? wait till I put my mask on.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue May 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Poll: Which has wasted more time and electrons here: the dangers of mouth taping, or using tap water in your humidifier?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...