Max Settling--What Setting?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyguy1

Max Settling--What Setting?

Post by sleepyguy1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:51 am

I have my Settling Time set at 10 minutes, but I just noticed that
the clinician menu also has a Max Settling Time setting.

What should the suggested Max Settling Time be?

Pugsy

Re: Max Settling--What Setting?

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:18 am

I believe that Settling time is like Ramp time.
With a settling time of 10 minutes it will ramp for that length of time before starting the prescribed pressure.
It is a comfort feature.
From what I read the longest time in settling or ramp is 45 minutes. If a person needed a long time using ramp then they would increase the time up to the 45 minutes. Not needed if you fall asleep sooner.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 am

The Settling time can be adjusted by the patient. The max Settling time is the longest Settling time they are allowed to select. Settling time is different than a ramp. If you are using 10 minutes of Settling time and an Auto set 10-20cmH2O then it will start at 10 but will not increase the pressure for 10 minutes. A ramp uses a lower starting pressure and increases the pressure at set intervals over the ramp time limit. So your using an Auto set 10-20 with a 20 minute ramp starting at 5cmH2O. It will start at 5 cmH2O and increase to 10 cmH2O over a 20 minute time period and then begin titrating as needed. I hope this helps your understanding.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!

sleepyguy1

Post by sleepyguy1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks! I appreciate the help.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:09 pm

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT wrote:The Settling time can be adjusted by the patient. The max Settling time is the longest Settling time they are allowed to select. Settling time is different than a ramp. If you are using 10 minutes of Settling time and an Auto set 10-20cmH2O then it will start at 10 but will not increase the pressure for 10 minutes. A ramp uses a lower starting pressure and increases the pressure at set intervals over the ramp time limit. So your using an Auto set 10-20 with a 20 minute ramp starting at 5cmH2O. It will start at 5 cmH2O and increase to 10 cmH2O over a 20 minute time period and then begin titrating as needed. I hope this helps your understanding.
can they both be used at the same time? A settling of 10 min followed by a 20 min ramp to whatever pressure the autoset wants to use?

If you settled for 10 mins without the ramp, could that potentially lead to an immediate increase to 20cm after the ramp time. That doesn't sound like fun.

sol

Post by sol » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:06 pm

The purpose of Ramp is to make the start of cpap therapy more comfortable ,and the period during which the pressure increases from low start pressure to the treatment pressure .
cheers .

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 am

I believe they have a ramp or settling time. I don't know if any have both. But if they did ramp is where you start settling time just holds back the unit from titrating.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!