Firefighter new to cpap, in need of some help.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Naegling

Firefighter new to cpap, in need of some help.

Post by Naegling » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:51 am

Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying thank you for the valuable information on this site. I've learned a lot so far.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about three months ago, and have since received my Philips RemStar as well as a resmed Quattro mask. My high settings are 15, so it's hard to get a good seal with the mask.

The issues I'm having are that I cannot get a good seal with the mask even after tightening the headstraps to the point of pain. It just leaks everywhere, nose, around the eyes, on my cheeks. At this point I'm ready to give up on a full face mask. I either wake up with a headache from the straps, or lay awake with air blowing in my eyes all night. A related issue to this is that I'm a side sleeper, so it just exacerbates the leaks.

No I know that these to technologies are not the same, but it's hard not to make a comparison. My SCBA mask for firefighting seals over my entire face VERY well. Its seal goes under my chin and seals all the way around my face. My question is, why don't they make BiPAP/CPAP masks that have a seal like this? At this point I'm thinking of "procuring" a spare mask from work and rigging up some type of hose adapter so I can try it with my CPAP... Does anyone have a suggestion on a mask like this or another solution?

The other problem I'm having is overcoming the fear of waking up in the night with positive pressure air coming at me, just like my SCBA does. I've woken twice now thinking I was in a fire just because the BiPAP felt like my work SCBA. I think this will go away as I get more used to sleeping with the machine, but waking in a sweat thinking you passed out in a fire is not good for the body.

I feel like my grandpa telling everyone about my medical problems. Thanks for taking the time to listen, and I look forward to your replies.

katcw

Re: Firefighter new to cpap, in need of some help.

Post by katcw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:09 am

Wish I could help. I'm just replying because sometime when no replies come to a question, it's easy to feel ignored. Well, your challenges are not being ignored. Maybe there is another firefighter on the board who can address your question.

fastwingguy

Post by fastwingguy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:58 am

With CPAP, the mask, and your comfort with it, is a huge part of your success. Even though I've got a good DME I find it hard to really try masks in her office. She has a recliner, not a bed, and I find the mask works different prone. If you look at most of the posts here, many people go through a number of masks until they really find one they like. The good news, is that there really are a lot of different styles & fit available from different companies. Its mostly trial & error, working with tolerant suppliers or friends who loan you a mask for a few days. I have a mask now that I hated at first, it just took some getting used to. There are other "tricks" for a better seal like using just a touch of lanolin ( a product called Lansinoh ) before bed that gives the seal more "traction" on your skin, or in the case of leaks around the eyes, I've just stopped trying to control the little ones and I wear a sleep mask to cover my eyes.
As far as waking in "another place", all I can say is it tends to go away as your mind becomes accustomed to the mask: the mask becomes your new "normal". I used to wake up driving, and couldn't find the steering wheel. ( Damn ! I hate it when I drive like that ! ) If you equate the mask with comfort, like your pillow, it gets easier.

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:45 am

I always wondered why they can make masks for fighter pilots, etc. that don't leak, but for the rest of us it's a joke. I have ordered the new gel seal thingy that I read about here the other day. I am hoping it works.

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:32 am

Resperonics sells the mask you need, fits just like the respirator in the picture. It's called the Fitlife. I found it a little leaky at the forehead at higher pressures but it has been good for people who need a full face and have sensitive skin on the bridge of their nose. Being a fire fighter you will find the fit familiar. Here is a link...

http://fitlife.respironics.com/

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!

NotMuffy

Post by NotMuffy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:53 am

Portageegal wrote:I always wondered why they can make masks for fighter pilots, etc. that don't leak, but for the rest of us it's a joke. I have ordered the new gel seal thingy that I read about here the other day. I am hoping it works.
That's easy:

$$$

And if they wanted to use the same profit margin for SCBA masks that they use for CPAP masks (2 bucks worth of plastic, silicone and velcro), then a "good" mask would cost about $10,000.00.
"Don't Blame Me...You Took the Red Pill..."

Tip10

Post by Tip10 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:08 am

Naegling wrote:Hi everyone,

At this point I'm thinking of "procuring" a spare mask from work and rigging up some type of hose adapter so I can try it with my CPAP... Does anyone have a suggestion on a mask like this or another solution?
The major issue with this approach would be determining the proper venting of the mask -- CPAP masks work by properly venting the incoming air to maintain the proper pressure on the airway -- without suitable venting the pressure inside the mask would continue to climb until the seals failed (and the mask was literally blown off the face). Hopefully that would occur before any physical damage to the body.
I know your SCBA mask vents on exhale and I know it maintains a small amount of positive pressure to prevent contaminated air incursions. What I would question is whether it would vent and/or seal properly if subjected to the pressures required for CPAP therapy.

Unfortunately you are in the midst of the infamous trial and error period -- only advice I would be able to offer is keep trying various masks until you find the one that works for you. Some get lucky and find it right away, others seem to go through dozens of masks. Good Luck.

I don't suffer from Insanity -- I rather enjoy it!!

Tired Linda

Post by Tired Linda » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 am

Naegling wrote:At this point I'm ready to give up on a full face mask.
Naegling, hang in there. The hardest part for me was finding a mask. I tried 9 different ones (4 of them full-face) before I found one that really works for me. I tried a couple through my DME, but found others on things like craigslist and the auction site. Some were new, some gently used but at greatly reduced prices so I could afford to keep looking. It was frustrating, but well worth the effort in the end.
"There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full."--Henry Kissinger

Naegling

Post by Naegling » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great! I was mostly joking about connecting the SCBA mask.

The fitlife looks interesting, I might see if I can try one.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:37 am

Greetings! Welcome to CPAPtalk!

We have at least one other firefighter in the forum, though I've not seen him post recently (but I don't read all posts).

As you can see, your struggles with the mask are not unusual. I used to use nasal pillows. I loved them, since it only plugged my nose and allowed me to read to my hearts content.

Unfortunately, over the years I found my mouth drops open and I loose the "seal". So, I had to move to a full face mask (FFM). I am currently using the Quattro FX FFM. It works pretty well, though like real estate, positioning is everything.

As others suggested, work with your DME. Bring your own machine. Ask if you can try the mask stretched out of the ground. They might think it odd, but most masks work find while you sit. But work differently when you are prone.

Best wishes!

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:46 am

Naegling wrote:Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great! I was mostly joking about connecting the SCBA mask.

The fitlife looks interesting, I might see if I can try one.
You might also investigate the Innomed hybrid mask. It fits totally different from the fit life in that is tis nasal pillows with a mouth cover and chin flap. The difference might cut the "OMG I am in a fire" wake ups.

Also tightening the quatro is actually the wrong way to fit it. It should be working like a hover craft on you face.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:54 am

The Quattro has a dual air cushion which must be fully inflated to work, so the more your tighten it, the more you defeat the seal. You need to learn to loosen it up!

Take a look at my tips for "How to tame the mirage Quattro" in the link in my signature.

Try to adjust the mask lying down in your normal sleeping position, with your machine turned on to it's highest pressure.

If you can avoid mouth breathing, you might be more comfortable in a nasal mask or a nasal pillow mask that will be less like the masks you wear for work and may reduce the PTSD type symptoms you are having.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Hephaestus

Post by Hephaestus » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I had the same problem and my solution was to buy a pad-a-cheek mask liner for my quattro. What a difference using it makes!

Using the pad-a-cheek mask liner makes the mask feel comfortable, reduces leaking and morning mask marks. Here's an url you can look at for it: http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_Maskliners.html

Good luck!

Janilaine

Post by Janilaine » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi,

If you are going to try something different, I suggest the Swift FX. (I can't figure how to put in a link but I think you can click on it from my signature area.) It is a nasal pillow type and has minimum contact with your face. I use one and I am very satisfied with it. Sometimes I wake up and I think my machine isn't running until I pull the mask away from my nose. Absolutely no air leaking or blowing on my face.

I perhaps going to a totally different type mask might help with the dreams and the panic wakenings.

Best regards, Janis

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:43 pm

Welcome to the forum, Naegling. My middle brother is a smoke eater, too.
Keep reading; and check out reviews on cpap.com under each mask style.