CPAP Pad (gel pad)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
OutaSync

Re: CPAP Pad (gel pad)

Post by OutaSync » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am

Yes, I ordered a large to go with my large Quattro. But then the Quattro FX came in around the same time, so I tried it on that first.

The Resmed rep said I needed a large Quattro, so I didn't imagine that anything in a small would fit around my nose, and since you don't have a medium, I ordered large.

I would have preferred to have ordered a nasal mask seal to go with what I usually wear, a SofGel, but you didn't have any nasal mask seals, at the time, and I was anxious to try your product, so ordered one for the Quattro.

What is the difference in nose hole size between the small/medium and the large? Can you post side by side pictures?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

CPAP Seal

Post by CPAP Seal » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 pm

OutaSync:

It depends on the size of mask you are using WITH the gel cushion not the size of mask that you might use later or you are told that you need, also not the size of nose or facial features because as we have said that the most important step is to have an inch of gel inside the mask naturally without squeezing or stretching. As if you squeeze or stretch, the gel will bounce back in to its normal size and in doing so will move around and leak.

The wrong sized mask will not allow 1 inch of gel inside its boundaries (naturaly)

As you see on the website "How it works" first picture on the right of instructions, the gel cushion should have almost an inch inside the mask all around without any stretch or queeze.

The only little squeeze that we recommended is around the nasal part as the gel will stretch back to its NORMAL size with the nasal bridge after you place your mask on your face.

Cutting the gel cushion according to the wrong sized mask will no longer fit it on either as you won't be able to have an inch inside either masks without much stretching or squeezing.

We don't have medium size cushion because we didn't need to as the measurements are accurate as such
small +medium masks--> require small Gel Cushion
Large masks--> require Large gel Cushion

It is not that we don't carry medium. If it were a matter of shortage we would have said we don't carry it right now, we will carry them in the future. Like we have said with other different mask designs.

If you like, I can replace this gel cushion with a small for you to try it on the medium size masks that you have

Thanks
CPAP Seal

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:49 am

Thank you for that explanation which I have taken into consideration. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I have many masks in several sizes. This weekend I have spent considerable time trying the seal with several of them, including the Quattro Large. All of the FFMs that I have tried had at least one inch of seal inside of the mask. All of them sprouted leaks within a a minute or two of pressure being applied. The air is going under the seal and and escaping between the seal and my face. Pushing it down on the leak stops it for a few seconds and then it leaks again. Holding it down in one spot makes it leak somewhere else. I tightened the mask down to the point of being uncomfortable.

A smaller size might help if it will keep the edges from hitting me in my eyes. I'm certainly willing to redo all of my trials with a smaller size, as long as I don't have to pay another $50 for it. Again, what is the difference in the nose hole size?

How do you intend to market a nasal mask seal if an inch of seal is required inside of the mask. Wouldn't an inch cover up the nostrils on a nasal mask?

BTW, this thing stretches more as you handle it. At first the hole went around my nose and covered my mouth making me think that I wouldn't need to tape any more. Now the hole is so big it goes under my mouth.

It's very hard to handle as it is so sticky you can't let go of it. It's almost impossible to place on the mask in the dark. You have to wash it, pull out all of the imbedded hair, wrap it in plastic and put it back in it's case in between uses. All of this would be worth it to me if I could get it to seal long enough to get to sleep.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

WestCoastCdnGrl

Post by WestCoastCdnGrl » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:03 pm

After reading all of these reviews, it seems that it's more work than it's worth, so I'm going to give it a pass and stick with my Anti-leak strap from Pad-a-cheek.

Passiflora

Post by Passiflora » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm trying Curad Scar Therapy pads after developing a rash/irritation from my full face mask on my cheeks and chin. It's a bit like wind burn that I seem to have. It hurt to open my mouth and I felt like my skin might crack if I continued to wear the mask without a barrier between it and my skin. I have an older version of the Scar Therapy pads that seem to work well. They are adhesive but contain latex... the newer version is silicone. When I run out of these I will likely try the new ones. I only put padding in a few key spots on my cheeks/chin while wearing the mask at night and leaks were reduced in those areas. Tonight I will try a pad around my nose to see if leaks are reduced there too. I'm looking into buying some Mepilex material which is used frequently in hospitals for wound care. Not sure how that will work but I can't wait to try it. Mepilex Transfer and Mepilex Lite are being used to protect newborns from skin injury due to CPAP.

Passiflora

Post by Passiflora » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:38 am

UPDATE:

I purchased Mepilex Transfer sheets and my facial irritation disappeared after about one week of use. I just cut the sheet to a piece that fit on my face with a hole in the middle. The sheets feel a little funny because air seeps through the sheet causing a cooling effect and yet sometimes the sheet acts as insulation and feels warm. My baseline leak (mask leak) went up when I started using the Mepilex Transfer sheets but the average leak and maximum leak were reduced. The material is easy to apply to the face, slightly sticky so that it stays in place as you reach to pick up your mask but not so sticky that it hurts when you peel it off. My mask stays cleaner overall. I sleep better with fewer mask leak awakenings. I have been reusing the same sheet nightly for at least a week now.

sevesteve

Post by sevesteve » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am

The product is total junk. I tried for several nights and not only did it leak like a sieve. Then followed the trimming instructions provided with packaging and it made no difference. This product isn't worth $10, let alone the $50+ they charge. On top of it, they wouldn't accept the return as their apparent policy is to only do so if the gel junk is in its original condition. Again, if it didn't work in it's original condition, and the instructions then pointedly recommend trimming for an even better fit, why would they not accept if the things doesn't do what it's advertised to do? Don't waste your time on this piece of junk. The smell of it alone will make you barf!

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:04 am

You're responding to a 4 yr old posting...

sevesteve

Post by sevesteve » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:14 pm

Julie,
You are correct and my apologies to the cpaptalk community about posting to such an outdated stream. My personal experience with the product was unsuccessful yet I realize each user has their own results. The return policy is what it is and perhaps has been updated/changed from what it apparently was four years ago. I have no doubt others out there find this product beneficial...just be sure to read that return policy closely to avoid the problems I ran into. Now on to some other potential remedy for my own CPAP ills.

Steve

sevesteve

Post by sevesteve » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:02 pm

One more thing for fairness to all.....my comments about the product being total junk, its smell, and not doing as advertised were admittedly harsh and not helpful as posted to this forum. I did find the product to be much different than what I had expected in terms of texture and scent but those issues are covered elsewhere on this and other sites so be sure to check on the latest information that is out there. But calling it junk on this site is not helpful to a prospective user that might have better luck and in fact find the product very useful. So...as always, it's buyer beware and my advice is to make sure you understand the entire purchase and return policies should you not get the results you are looking for. Same goes for all other health and hygiene products one is considering purchasing on the Internet.

Steve B