CPAP Pad (gel pad)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Re: CPAP Pad (gel pad)

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:12 am

OutaSync wrote:SnoozySue, I haven't gotten mine, yet. Like you, I hope it comes on Friday so I can try it out on the weekend. Sticky might be a good thing, we'll see.

BigDaddy, what is a Resmed quarrell? I'm guessing they scented it to cover an even worse smell.
Sorry typo Resmed Quattro.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:46 am

I also got my conformation letter that stated they got rid of the scent. I hope, hope, hope this works well. Good luck to all of us who ordered it.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:14 pm

My much anticipated cpapseal arrived yesterday in a nice clamshell storage container. To say this thing is sticky is an understatement, IMO. Yikes! You touch it and you can't pull your fingers away. It is that sticky! I washed it, as instructed, and laid it on my new Quattro FX. It was very difficult to do as the weight of it stretched the nose hole and the instructions say that you need an inch on the inside of the mask outline. I don't know if I had an inch on the inside, but I certainly had an inch all the way around on the outside. It went completely over my eyes. It was so sticky that it was hard to work with, but sticky is a good thing when you need a good seal, right?

I put the cold sticky thing on my face and turned on the air. Ah! What? Air started to go under the seal and move through it until it plooped out the edge. I pushed it down to seal it again and immediately it started to crawl out a different place. I tightened, loosened, pushed, everything I could think of and it still leaked in big ploops rather than the steady whistle of a usual leak.

I turned it off and switched to the SoftGel that I usually used. Cpapseal only has FFM seals at the moment, so that is why I had to order a Quattro FX to fit with it. I had hoped that the extra goo coming down over my mouth and being held in place by my chinstrap would mean that I wouldn't have to tape my mouth shut. This might really work.

Same thing happened. Air got under the seal and pushed the mask up in big heaves. There was no way I could sleep with that, so I gave up and wrapped the seal back up and went back to my SoftGel and my padacheek seal.

I'm going to try it again tonight. This time I'm going to put the seal on my face and then bring the mask up. I don't want to trim it just yet, until i can try it out with several different masks.

Anybody else tried it, yet? MD?

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:19 pm

I tried it with my Quattro the other night. The stickyness is incredible! I found air was leaking in strange places - not where I would usually get it. There was a very slight fragrance which I could tolerate but didn't like - I can't even walk through the perfume department of shops - too much for me. I didn't want to trim it the first night but I found it was restricting the air to my nose and there didn't seem to be much room even around my mouth. I gave up after less than 1 hour. I will try again next weekend.

msradar65

Post by msradar65 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks for the posts. I think I will definately pass on this one. The though of cold sticky gel on my face was not appealing to begin with.
Diagnosed 08/31/10. Titration 9/02/10. Started CPAP 11/01/10. Auto mode 10-15cm. Alternate mask GoLife for her. Back up mask Full-life full face w/Pad-a-cheek mask liner. Comtec CMS F50 wrist pulse oximeter. Sobakawa Cloud Pillow, Sleepyhead software

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:48 pm

I had hopes for this product.

It’s not something that will solve all your problems right out of the box. It will take some adapting to, and I don't know how many will find it useful. But here are my observations after two nights.

It’s floppy and clumsy to apply, but that’s the kind of process that would get easier with experience.

The scent is cloying and annoying at first, but I didn’t notice it all night, and the maker says it will dissipate. It wouldn’t be a deal breaker; but I don’t know why it’s needed.

Using the cpapseal means you have another object to apply, adjust, store and keep clean. I’m not sure the benefit is worth the trouble.

I’m a person who has never had a mask that sealed comfortably and completely. My Drive mask seals fairly well, but is displaced by movement; If I rate the Drive a B+, With the cpapseal it's maybe an A-.

I haven’t used it with my FP Forma yet, but plan to try.

I do have this to offer, though. Last night, I went to bed with two days’ beard growth. Usually, that leads to a leakier night. I think maybe cpapseal helped in that situation. It night be beneficial for someone with facial hair.

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:47 am

I used mine for a while tonight. That is why I am awake now. I had to trim it so that it wasn't in my mouth, but it didn't help much. Every time I moved it crawled around and would leak. The cushioning felt good, but just wouldn't stay still.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:04 am

I wouldn't mind the coldnes, wetness, heaviness, smell or stickiness if it would only seal. I tried it again last night, sticking it to my face first and then bringing the mask up to it. Within a few seconds of turning the air on I could feel the seal lifting and the air tunneling underneath it until it escaped in a loud fart. This happened over and over again until I gave up and took it off. I still have a couple more masks that I want to try it with as I really want this to work.

Bev

Portageegal

Post by Portageegal » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:11 am

That's how I feel. I really want it to work. I should send it back, it was a lot of $$ for me to spend,but I will try again tonight.

tornadoknight

Post by tornadoknight » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 pm

Hmmm. This looks like it has promise. I see the link that shows how it works. Dummy me. I can't find where to order this cool "CPCP Gel Pad" and how much one costs.

I have a small "T" shaped jell strip that was supposed to help my nose soreness and get rid of my red spot. It kind of works but when I move to my side at night and I have to readjust my mask it tends to move and then it's up close or touching my eyelids. And that gets annoying when i'm mostly out of it. Plus i'm having the same problem you all are having that I have to adjust the mask pretty tight to keep it from making hissing or farty noises that wake me and my little wifey up. Then when I wake up in the morning my whole head & neck hurts. Similar to an all over sinus pressure, cold feeling. It makes me take it off. If this stops the leaks and allows me to loosen the straps, i'll be in love with it. I wish they made them so they were attached to the mask, so I wouldn't have to reset it if I need to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom.

Can anyone help a newbie like me?

Thanks,
Matt

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Matt,

Go back to the link at cpapseal.com and look under BUY. They are $35.90 plus shipping. If you wait until March 15, they are supposed to have some different sizes.

If this stopped the leaks, I would be in love with it, too.

Bev

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Used it with FP Forma last night. As before, I think there were fewer leaks due to displacement of the mask during sleep. So far, it helps, but not enough to make a leaky mask un-leaky.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:38 pm

So, you were actually able to sleep with it? Mine was making loud farting noises and felt like it was crawling on my face as the air tried to escape. No way could I have gone to sleep with it on. It didn't go 10 seconds without leaking somewhere.

Bev

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:25 pm

Bev, I did sleep until about 4:30. I think discomfort or the scent may have caused that. The leak rate on the printout was at the upper side of my usual range, no "snoring" recorded.

I received an email from the cpapseal notifying me that there were new troubleshooting suggestions on the website. One of the suggestions is that the mask needs to be quite tight (though they claim the cushion prevents discomfort. And indeed I had the straps pretty tight.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm

I got that email, too. The revised instructions say ( and I'm paraphrasing) to make it so tight that it hurts the back of your head and then buy their pads for the back of the head. I sleep on my back and can't stand to have a lump in the back of my head, so that isn't going to work for me.