giving lecture..need input..DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
montana user

giving lecture..need input..DME

Post by montana user » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 pm

I am giving a lecture to our local DME on Thursday the 3rd. I am letting them know about CPAPtalk so they can pass it on to the patients as well. I would like to know from you...How was it dealing with your DME and what made it a good or bad experience. I appreciate any input!

scrapper

Re: giving lecture..need input..DME

Post by scrapper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:10 pm

I appreciated the information that I rec'd from cpaptalk.com so that I could evaluate the dme and products from start to finish and ask educated questions when I began the cpap journey.

My dme charges exorbitant prices like all do, but does offer top notch machines without extra charges or hassles, and a wide selection of masks....often with the "extra's" sent home with me once I try a new mask or exchange masks. They also offer excellent service.

At the dme, I try masks, sitting up, laying down, moving from side to side, and then am left to "rest" for 5-10 minutes laying down at the pressure I use at home before making a decision to take a mask home.

Now that I've settled on a favorite mask and machine, I turn to the cpap.com for supplies, because I no longer need the excellent personalized trial and error service that comes with the exorbitant prices.

Knowing what to expect from cpaptalk.com and receiving excellent, competent service that was above and beyond anything I read about on cpaptalk.com from my local dme made for a wonderful experience and easy transition to using a cpap. I also was very aware that I was one of the few lucky ones with such a dme--and so was quick to express my appreciation and gratitude.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:37 pm

The most common problem that I'm very much aware of from reading the various apnea support forums and my own personal experience is the local DME providers' RRT's LACK OF KNOWLEDGE of the very equipment they are providing and the lack of expertise and knowledge of PROPER mask fitting on the part of these same RRTs. They may know respiratory therapy and even be very good at it - but FAR TOO MANY really don't know diddley squat about or even really care about CPAP therapy.

These RRTs really do need to be well-versed with the CPAPs they provide, they NEED to READ and UNDERSTAND the many features of these CPAPs and that means actually reading the Clinicians Manuals NOT JUST the Quick SetUp Guides that far too many rely on. They NEED to know and UNDERSTAND the "comfort features" of many CPAP models and how they can ease and/or affect the patients' therapy. They NEED to know and UNDERSTAND what therapy functions they are free to adjust AND the EFFECT of those features for the patient W/O instruction from the sleep doctors.

The local DME providers need to provide their RRTs w/the necessary accomodations for a proper mask fitting: a place for the patient to lay down, a CPAP set to the patients' pressure setting, etc., etc. The RRTs need the freedom of a lenient mask exchange policy, they need to be able to take advantage of the various manufacturers' free mask replacement policies. The MASK is the KEY to successful CPAP therapy. The RRTs need the TIME to respond to their patient's plea for assistance, to provide or find the answers to the patients' questions and problems and the KNOWLEDGE to correctly answer those questions even if that requires that they admit they don't know the answer and will need the time to find that answer. They should NOT be less than truthful - either thru ignorance or thru refusal to learn and know the truth regarding a situation or question.

The local DME providers need to hire and provide COMPETENT STAFF to work w/their clients (patients). Or see to it that their current staff receive PROPER TRAINING, knowledge and experience. CPAP therapy is NOT respiratory therapy.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Like Slinky said.
I got none of that - 20 minutes mostly filling in forms and arranging payment.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

scrapper

Post by scrapper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:34 pm

Slinky, you're right on...........

My positive experience came out of the competent staff that knew their machines, masks, and options--and the differences between the machines--and were completely honest with me. That did not come without excellent, consistent training and a staff who obviously cared about their patients--an attitude that comes from the top of the organization. It was also evident that the turnover in staff was lower because the employer cared about the staff and encouraged excellence through appropriate training.........

You can make the point, Montana User, that a dme can expend their funds in training staff and retaining the same staff, or in turnover by not caring about their staff and not providing ongoing training but in continually obtaining new staff... Either way, the business is out the funds.....but by retaining their staff through appropriate training they can build their businesses, and grow their profits. Hit them in the pocketbook............

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:17 pm

And all I will add to Slinky's excellent post is that they should know there ARE a few DMEs that actually live up to Slinky's standards (or at least most of them). So it's DOABLE!

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:48 pm

I had bad DME and good DME.
Bad DME: He lied to me. Multiple times. About what machine my insurance would allow me to get, about what machine I could get, etc. I will not deal with a person who looks me straight in the eyes and lies. He lost my business and future business and I tell others to stay away from him.

Good DME: listened to me. Sold only data capable machines (except some of his used machines). Let me sit in his office and try on every mask he sells at full pressure. Set up my masks so I'd know how it felt when properly fitted. Actually worked with my insurance to get me a second mask, FFM, 3 months early because I was getting stuffed up and the Swift LT wasn't working for me when my nose was clogged.
One downside, He has very poor memory and even though I stop by every month he asks who I am and what I'm there for. Somewhat disturbing since I call him the day before I stop by each month to make sure he has the pillows etc. that I need. But after I tell him who I am and why I'm there it clicks and I get what I need.
He has OSA so I have to forgive his memory lapses. Have many of my own.
Anyway, I'd say he's pretty good for a DME.

Geminidream

Post by Geminidream » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 am

I can also say I have had a good and bad experience. The first DME representative I dealt with was very unreachable, disoraganized and did not seem as though she knew the product. I had already been educating myself with this site before that visit so I had an idea of what I needed to accomplish. She did not lie to me about anything and was generous about letting me keep a few extras that she did not charge me for, but very scattered. By my third visit, she was replaced with a much more competant woman who took the time to help fit me with different masks so I could make a better decision. She seemed to know the products and follows up with me on my next visit. So, I feel that the first rep just was not suited for that position and the company recognized that before things got really screwed up. On the plus side, the sleep clinic is located in the same building and the woman in charge of that is my former step sister and she is very competant and cares about the results so there may have been some influence as to how that got changed. Over all I am pleased with the service.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:01 am

Rather than share my Apria experience, I will say ....

Ditto what Slinky said...

I will only add that follow-up is key. Newbies will have problems, period, there is a lot to learn. So a daily follow-up the first week then weekly until both are confident and the patient is sleeping thru the nite with the mask on. Patient follow-up is key so they don't feel abandoned and put the machine in the closet.

Oh and never set an auto at wide open, NEVER. Better to get ok from doc to use a lower pressure so the patient can get accustomed to the mask and pressure. Teach patient it is OK to not use the ramp.

Let us know how the presentation goes. Personally, I think they will get offended at the mention of our family forum.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

nicodan

Post by nicodan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:27 am

Honesty is key.
When I ask "is this machine Data Capable", don't tell me yes, and then I find out from this forum that is is "compliant" only.
When I go back and ask them to explain, don't give me a full data machine that has probably been used and pass it off as new. ( I figured it out when I went to replace the filter.)

Don't sell me the old version of a machine that has already been upgraded and there is a newer version available .
Don't sell me a humidifier that has already been remodeled and the new version is available, because then I have to spend out of pocket money to upgrade the humidifier.

Be more informed about insurance replacement policies and if you don't know, tell us to call our insurance direct. When you give us an answer we want to believe you might actually know what you are talking about.

SnoozyQ

Post by SnoozyQ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:48 am

Honesty, knowledge and communication are high on my list of a good DME.

As previously mentioned, don't try to dupe a customer for profit. You are dealing with someone's HEALTH and LIFE....take the high road. Your company will be more successful with thousands of happy customers, than hundreds of customers you managed to lie well enough to.

Teach and prepare the staff. Your customer was recently diagnosed with a chronic health issue. Take away some of that anxiety by telling them everything they need to know and be able to answer questions.Have the equipment they need and be able to show them how to use it without guessing or omitting information. It's frustrating to be given a machine and left on your own....with nothing but a bill.

Be available to communicate with patient. Answer questions, review options and assist. Be up to date with products and options.Don't be the "The Great Oz", hidden and out of reach to patients.

Desaturation index 16.5/hr.
AutoSet at 10-13

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:03 pm

nicodan wrote:Honesty is key.
When I ask "is this machine Data Capable", don't tell me yes, and then I find out from this forum that is is "compliant" only.
When I go back and ask them to explain, don't give me a full data machine that has probably been used and pass it off as new. ( I figured it out when I went to replace the filter.)
In my haste this morning I remember thinking before I typed that I need to mention "HONESTY - is key" but totally forgot about it, Honest

The compliant data thing is all too common. Technically it is data, so it just the way some DME's twist words and take advantage of our youth and inexperience. They likely don't feel this is a lie. I think some were Used Car Sales people.

You know how to tell when sales people are lying? See ** below ...

The hours can be checked on the machine but you do have to know how. (Again taking advantage of our youth and inexperience.)

Tho I did trade my 1st Remstar Plus for a used Auto and was perfectly happy about that until I got home and found out it had no filters in it, NONE. I thought about taking the filters out of the Plus before the trade but thought that was cheap. Good thing I had some bc it took me over a month to get Apria to replace them. They seemed to think a machine w/o filters was OK. Now that IS cheap.

**(You can see their lips move.) lmao

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

montana user

Post by montana user » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Thank you everyone for your input! I think this will give them a great idea of other experiances as well as the power of CPAPTalk!!!

ResmedUser

Post by ResmedUser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Do you really think they are going to care what patients think about DMEs? Are you serious?

Mikey

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:50 pm

ResMedUser, there actually are a few GOOD local DME providers, really and truthfully, honest injun!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.