Does anyone use Pur Sleep?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jaylee

Does anyone use Pur Sleep?

Post by Jaylee » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:54 pm

I have been thinking about getting one of these. Half of me thinks that some essential oil and a cotton ball would work the same. Do you have this? Do you like it? Hate it? Indifferent to it?

Stormynights

Re: Does anyone use Pur Sleep?

Post by Stormynights » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:25 pm

Jaylee wrote:I have been thinking about getting one of these. Half of me thinks that some essential oil and a cotton ball would work the same. Do you have this? Do you like it? Hate it? Indifferent to it?
I liked it but I was disappointed that it didn't come with a holder for the little disk. I use a clothes pen and it isn't very attractive but it works better than the paper thing they send in the kit.

SharonC

Post by SharonC » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:38 pm

I use the Pur-Sleep essential oils and am so disappointed in the holder. It has gotten wet and smeared like crazy - don't know why it can't be made of a sturdy substance. I find the the smells are not too strong...hardly notice them when breathing.

islandboy5150

Post by islandboy5150 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:11 pm

The holder that came with mine is made of metal and is pretty sturdy for what it needs to do.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:44 pm

I have found that essential oil will work much in the same way. I went to a local health food store and purchased some --- they didn't carry any blends, only single scents. I then went to the Dollar Tree and purchased a pretty soap dish and a small flat candle holder so that I could switch them around if I wanted to hold the pads.

What makes Bret's oils so nice is that they are blended and smell great. My little holder was nice and sturdy with reuseable pads.

I didn't want to bother with washing the pads so I am cheap and didn't like the way a cotton ball soaked up the oil so I took a box of cheap panty liners and cut them into small squares or strips. I didn't remove the paper that protected the sticky part as I didn't want to have to worry about the adhesive getting on to things and just left the paper attached to the sticky strip and didn't have a problem. A box of liners goes a long way and are cheap and disposable this way. Add a couple of drops to the pad, it absorbs the oil and holds the scent better than the cotton ball.

I have found when stressed or not feeling good that the aroma helps. I don't use the scents every night though.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

digitaleagle

Post by digitaleagle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:52 pm

I have used these since I had problems falling asleep when I first started CPAP. The theory is that the smells divert your brain from the new sounds and smells of the CPAP. I believe this worked for me and really helped me to adjust to the therapy.

I really like the Clear and Calm oils. They help keep my nose clear at night. I also got the metal holder. I wold prefer a plastic one so it doesn't scratch the top of my dresser. A 5ml bottle will last a LONG time. I just use one or two drops per night. I also got the vanilla and cherry scents. However, they are not strong enough IMO and don't work as well.

Overall - I feel these scents have helped me adapt to the CPAP therapy and I will continue to use them each night.

atruvirgo

Post by atruvirgo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Jaylee wrote:I have been thinking about getting one of these. Half of me thinks that some essential oil and a cotton ball would work the same. Do you have this? Do you like it? Hate it? Indifferent to it?
I love my PUR Sleep...The "Clear" Scent keeps my nose clear and is just a very pleasant smell to me. My holder is a blue ceramic one with a place to sit the pad and a place to keep the bottle. I take it when I travel too. I love it!!!

Debbie
Debbie/Atruvirgo/Armynavyx3
Proud Mom of 1 Navy & 2 Army Kids
Nana to 5 lil darlings!

Life is Grand!!

TerryB

Post by TerryB » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:47 am

I've used Bret's stuff for years now. I order about 20 bottles at a time including all the sleep candy ones and then about the same number of "regular" scents. I rotate the bottles through a sequence. I use a new one every couple of nights. When I finish a bottle, I keep going with the others until I'm down to a couple of remainders before I order again. Obviously I love the stuff. I'm a bad boy and still use the original in-line holder and a folded and rolled sheet of TP.

"Try it, you'll like it"
TerryB

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 am

I still use the old in line holder too. I like the clear and the calm. It seems that with the in line holder I use much less of the oil. I have never had a problem with it.
Brenda

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:20 am

SharonC I'm sure if you send a note to Bret about having a problem with ANY of his - - - Products - - -
He'll Be happy to solve your problems.
I have been a user back when He first came out with the inline holder.. It SURE has been a BIG help in me getting use to a mask / hose... EVERYBODY that I have refereed / recommended the product have been happy.Remember if he DOESN'T KNOW YOU are having a problem it can't be fixed
Bert

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Well I got it. I tried one of the oils last night but I think I used too much because I started coughing sometime in my sleep and moved the holder out of the way of my intake. I will try again tonight.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:14 pm

I find a drop or two is usually enough. I like it lighter than heavier -- then again I don't like most perfumes, colognes, etc since the scent is usually overwhelming instead of subtle.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Bert_Mathews

Post by Bert_Mathews » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:42 am

Don't Tell Bret BUT I dilute the Fragrances by 1/2 with rubbing Alcohol and use only one or two drops as I'm not happy with a STRONG smell ---
I "LOVE" black Cherry for some reason?
I have a few friends that love the Dark Chocolate - AIRCANDY FRAGRANCES!
http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... rch=&page=

Bert

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
http://www.sharpstones.com

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:14 am

I've just always used a 2" ceramic tea bag holder dish (about $2) raised to the height of the intake vent. Works fine to just lay the disc on the dish, or you could easily use a plastic clothespin or a very small 1" chip clip to hold the disc upright.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

bap40

Post by bap40 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:59 am

I have used the oils pretty much since Bret started selling them. At that time it came with a ceramic square plate, sort of anyway, and what I think is cotton pads. So can't really say how the new ones are or work, etc. Where as a lot of you like lighter rather than stronger fragrance, I can't seem to get enough of a stronger scent. I have only washed the cotton pad only several times. Just having it sitting there all day sure makes our bedroom smell nice. I also don't have to worry about overpowering my husband out since he has no sense of smell anymore.
Brooke