Updating the firmware on the PR System One machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Does updating your machines firmware interest you?

Yes
93%
No
4%
I like to vote in polls.
3%

Total votes: 216

ChrisD

Re: Updating the firmware on the PR System One machines

Post by ChrisD » Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

JoshT wrote:there has to be a a way to flash the firmware.... why has no one released info on how to flash firmware updates ??
The information has been posted here before. You need 1. The update file 2. The Phillips Respironics servicer software . Both are only available to technicians and therapists who have an active account with PR.

Chris
Hosehead since 2011-11-30

Machine: ResMed AirSense 11Autoset
Mask: ResMed AirFit N20 Nasal Mask
Software: ResMed myAir and OSCAR -Open Source CPAP Analysis Reporter

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri May 10, 2013 5:18 pm

i asked my sleep doctor to update my machine i dont think know how!!
http://criticalcareservices.respironics ... pilink.cfm

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri May 10, 2013 8:33 pm

JoshT wrote:i asked my sleep doctor to update my machine i dont think know how!!
I just ran through their tutorials. Looks like they're centralizing who can control "their" equipment. Lots of references to "Once the Resperonics Support Agent has authorized" and "for the device with this serial number".

Oh well, that's the medical mafia for you.

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri May 10, 2013 9:02 pm

if they can do it, and they had trouble figuring out how to adjust my pressure at my dme, then i definately can do it... im sure the software is out there!! along with the steps..

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm

deltadave wrote:
sandtime wrote:
deltadave wrote:
blakepro wrote:I spoke to Dennis on the phone earlier today and he was quite pleasant and professional.
So maybe it's only Ian that finds Dennis irritable (which would certainly make sense, since Ian is in sales, and we all know about that lot!

Anyway, Ian, in re: the 2.53 upgrade, if you add AutoIQ to a machine don't you technically have to upgrade to the REMstar AutoIQ Top Enclosure? Are you including this part in your price?
DeltaDave, the Auto IQ upgrade includes the new top cover.
OK great. So you're from Accurate? This is included in the 65$ price?

how long does it take for this to be done? i found out my c-flex plus which is from 2011 has 2.02 on it. i really wish i could do it at home im so used to my machine now i cant sleep without it.. or do you just send in your sd card??

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri May 10, 2013 9:29 pm

DiverCTHunter wrote:
JoshT wrote:i asked my sleep doctor to update my machine i dont think know how!!
I just ran through their tutorials. Looks like they're centralizing who can control "their" equipment. Lots of references to "Once the Resperonics Support Agent has authorized" and "for the device with this serial number".

i downloaded and installed THE Axeda software.. now i just gotta figure out the steps to connect the program to my machine.. i do own the wireless modem/ also do you run the update on the sdcard or is there a special cable that you need to do the firmware flashing? or can it be done through the modem??? hmmm

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm

i found the data cable. still have the wireless modem on my machine i dont really see any serial/usb/ps2 ports of anything when i take the modem out and look into the back of the machine so im not sure what cable will work with my PR C-Flex+ 2011 manufacture date running 2.02 software. i want the latest version,, my dme doesnt know how and i cant afford to go without my machine for days or more! im sure someone on here is smart enough to know or share how to do this!!
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... ortbycol=1
along with all of these https://www.cpap.com/cpap-software/cpap ... cables.php

along with all of these
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-software/cpap ... cables.php

http://medtoyou.com/images/P/SystemOneW ... iLg-01.jpg

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri May 10, 2013 10:39 pm

JoshT wrote:i found the data cable. still have the wireless modem on my machine i dont really see any serial/usb/ps2 ports of anything when i take the modem out and look into the back of the machine so im not sure what cable will work with my PR C-Flex+ 2011 manufacture date running 2.02 software. i want the latest version,, my dme doesnt know how and i cant afford to go without my machine for days or more! im sure someone on here is smart enough to know or share how to do this!!
Nope, that's the wrong cable. It's for the older DeVebliss machines.

Repeat after me, "The medical mafia is holding us hostage!"

Here's what you need in order to upgrade:
  1. The PR Service Software OR a DME's login credentials on PR's website (impossible to obtain).
  2. The firmware file from PR OR a DME's login credentials on PR's website (impossible to obtain).
  3. PR's programming dongle ($140, see my old post below).
  4. An RS-232 serial to USB adaptor (unless you have an old computer).
Since you have the modem connected you'd have better luck giving Accurate Biomed a call and see if they can push the upgrade to you.

The point I'm making is that both PR & ResMed have gone out of their way to keep mere mortals like us from upgrading our machines and depriving them of their excessive profits.

<Walter Cronkite voice>And that's the way it is </Walter Cronkite voice>
DiverCTHunter wrote:
blakepro wrote:Just a heads up, if anyone ever figures out how to obtain one of these cables, they have just released a new firmware flasher on 09/11/2012 that brings machines up to version 2.53
PR System 1 Flash Upgrade Utility 2.53 09/11/2012

Philips Respironics System 1 Flash Upgrade Utility is used to upgrade devices with current software version 2.XX to software version 2.53
I can confirm that Respironics uses an RS-232 interface. The part number is 1074113 and can be found from several specialty medical-supply houses. - http://www.medexsupply.com/product_info ... s_id=49693
Edit: said Phillips-Respironics twice instead of Resmed and PR.

Last edited by DiverCTHunter on Fri May 10, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When in doubt, open the case. Remember: If you can't open it, you don't own it!

Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Oops, forgot to add:

In one of my previous posts, I figured out the pinout of the connector. It's simplified RS-232 on a modified edge card connector.

If you really really want to live dangerously, you can use an Arduino, a breadboard, some alligator clips and a roll of electrical tape to bang together an RS-232 to USB interface. Even with that, you're still SOL without PR's service-tech software.

JoshT

Post by JoshT » Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

makes no sense why dme cant upgrade the machine... im the type of person who always updates my bios/drivers/software on my pc at least twice a month, i like the latest !!

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 pm

JoshT wrote:makes no sense why dme cant upgrade the machine... im the type of person who always updates my bios/drivers/software on my pc at least twice a month, i like the latest !!
They probably can, they're just too stupid to do it.

I work helpdesk for a large medical service company. Here's the rule of thumb:
  • Anyone under 25 can't understand why they're not allowed to post the patient's chart on Facebook. Anything larger than a laptop is a "modem".
  • Anyone over 40 can't understand why they're not allowed to use leaches and Radium Water anymore. They also think computers are these big boxes with spinny tape reels and blinky lights.

sawinglogz

Post by sawinglogz » Sat May 11, 2013 5:09 am

DiverCTHunter wrote:I just ran through their tutorials. Looks like they're centralizing who can control "their" equipment. Lots of references to "Once the Resperonics Support Agent has authorized" and "for the device with this serial number".

Well, that's safety concerns for you.

This isn't your PC. If it crashes, they get in big trouble.

They almost certainly have to have a central record of which devices have which software revision so that in the event of any recall, they're able to figure out who's affected. There are pretty stringent accountability requirements for FDA approval.

Similarly, this is one of the reasons medical device manufacturers recommend/require the use of authorized service technicians (particularly for hospital gear). Their technicians log anything unusual they find, allowing the manufacturer to detect systematic failures or problems before they become life-threatening. (For example, "when I calibrated pressure, I found the following valve was sticky and needed to be replaced." If they see that a lot, they change their maintenance procedure to preemptively replace that valve on all machines, and they investigate to see if it's symptomatic of a larger problem/failing.) They also want to avoid having some random guy who thinks he understands servomotors inadvertently make a dangerous change.

That said, it would be better if there were a (relatively) easy way to find someone authorized to do it. It's just too much to expect every DME out there to be capable of this kind of technical support.

Of course I think I could do it just fine (and I probably could), but I could also be wrong, and I understand how they might want to ensure it doesn't get done wrong.

mollete

Post by mollete » Sat May 18, 2013 2:53 am

JoshT wrote:makes no sense why dme cant upgrade the machine...
They probably don't have the necessary equipment to run P-Service Center Test Tools after the firmware flash.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 am

mollete wrote:
JoshT wrote:makes no sense why dme cant upgrade the machine...
They probably don't have the necessary equipment to run P-Service Center Test Tools after the firmware flash.
Is updating the firmware on one's machine an exotic or extraordinary request? My DME is reacting as if I've asked them to graft a live kitten onto my back.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

mollete

Post by mollete » Sat May 18, 2013 10:39 am

Nah, just run the program. However, flows and pressures must be checked/calibrated afterwards, and maybe they don't want to get into that.