Nasal Congestion and Remedies - Add Yours

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Todzo

Re: Nasal Congestion and Remedies - Add Yours

Post by Todzo » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:16 am

nose clearing exercise
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!

crashnose

Post by crashnose » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:45 pm

One thing I forgot to add to my list of "hey it works!" -- And something I never would have thought.

I was under so much stress (unrelated to the breathing issues) that I decided I may have fried my adrenal glands. I was at a point I would try anything, so I tried this homeopathic dissolving tablet for adrenal support, for symptoms of "stress & fatigue, allergies & hay fever, insect bites, inflammation".

Funny, but I never noticed it said "allergies" or "inflammation" on the front. After I started taking them, I noticed after about 30 seconds, my nose would start to clear and drain.

I get that homeopathy is quackery to most people, but I don't think this is placebo effect. If I could clear my nose with placebo effect, everything would work! High hopes, right? Anyway, they are called "Adrenal Support" by NatraBio, 60 tablets for about 9 bucks. You can google them and they're easily found online. Somebody might want to give this a try, as it's totally harmless and would have no side effects. I chew up two of them, and hold the dissolved powder in my mouth as long as I can. Or you can stick one under your tongue.

Unfortunately, I have a physically smaller nasal and sinus passage on the right side, and I'm not sure it will ever really open up. I don't ever have those days where everything is clear. I have about 20-30% nasal breathing capacity as a rule. :-/ (Whether there's smoke or not, cats or not...) Thanks for the additional comments and additions, love the ideas!

sydneybird

Re: Second Hand Smoke

Post by sydneybird » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Hi Jen,

Sorry, I intended to address the smoking issue with crashnose but I put your name in there by mistake. I corrected my post.

I started to write more than a few paragraphs about your right to a smoke free environment, but I deleted it as being too off topic. The part that I will leave in this post is as follows:

Since you seem to be one of those compassionate people that tend to make self-sacrificing decisions to help others, you may want to think about how this choice of allowing people to smoke around you affects your hubby. Is it fair to your hubby (or your children, or your grandchildren) to let yourself get sick from the smoke so that your hubby has to worry about you and you will not be able to take care of him? I was once furious with my wife that she let someone smoke in her car (she is an ex-smoker and was vulnerable to restart). I turned it around and said it was not fair to me and our children if she got sick from something preventable, although I was more worried for her sake, not mine. See, she is one of those compassionate people too and doesn't want to say no, but this event got her priorities straight. I'm sure you love your brother-in-law, but you took an oath to love your hubby, if not yourself, more. I wish you strength to assert your right to be healthy for your hubby, and for yourself.

Take care.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:38 am

Thanks crashnose, this looks very interesting. I have put in my Outlook Notes section for future reference.

Personally, I don't think any branch of medicine has all the answers as I am always looking for answers from all angles although yes, you do have to be careful about quackery. But for around the $9 charge for this product, it is definitely worth a shot.

Glad it is helping you.

49er
crashnose wrote:One thing I forgot to add to my list of "hey it works!" -- And something I never would have thought.

I was under so much stress (unrelated to the breathing issues) that I decided I may have fried my adrenal glands. I was at a point I would try anything, so I tried this homeopathic dissolving tablet for adrenal support, for symptoms of "stress & fatigue, allergies & hay fever, insect bites, inflammation".

Funny, but I never noticed it said "allergies" or "inflammation" on the front. After I started taking them, I noticed after about 30 seconds, my nose would start to clear and drain.

I get that homeopathy is quackery to most people, but I don't think this is placebo effect. If I could clear my nose with placebo effect, everything would work! High hopes, right? Anyway, they are called "Adrenal Support" by NatraBio, 60 tablets for about 9 bucks. You can google them and they're easily found online. Somebody might want to give this a try, as it's totally harmless and would have no side effects. I chew up two of them, and hold the dissolved powder in my mouth as long as I can. Or you can stick one under your tongue.

Unfortunately, I have a physically smaller nasal and sinus passage on the right side, and I'm not sure it will ever really open up. I don't ever have those days where everything is clear. I have about 20-30% nasal breathing capacity as a rule. :-/ (Whether there's smoke or not, cats or not...) Thanks for the additional comments and additions, love the ideas!

crashnose

Post by crashnose » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:02 pm

I guess I will be frequenting this forum more often now. I got my first sleep study results... (And I quit smoking!! It sure helps.)

AHI = 56.9 (so basically, every minute I'm asleep.) I'd like to know if anyone else had a higher number!
apnea events = 0 (I'm not obstructing completely. Probably snoring or just sipping air. I'm that congested, and I don't open my mouth.)
desaturations = 346 in 5 hours, so more than once per minute.
lowest oxygen level during desaturations = 78%

Holy moly.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:37 am

Many people have had lots more apneas, but you had a ton of desats, not good at all!