Full Face Mask worst option according to professionals?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Big S

Re: Full Face Mask worst option according to professionals?

Post by Big S » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:21 am

I was wondering why I was having trouble reading these posts. I forgot to take my FFM off. Darn it!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:59 am

I'm not a FF mask fan, but as far as the "professionals", I think they see people for one or two nights of their lives in the very controlled conditions of a sleep lab. WE are the ones who have to contend with the masks every night with a huge number of variables. We find what works for us in real life conditions, and it may not fit the neat little sleep lab theories.

If you listen to the techs at binarysleep, everyone can use a nasal mask, but that doesn't turn out to be the case here.

If a FF mask is what floats your boat, go for it. Who cares what the pros think??? Just keep in mind that the mask that works best for you may not work best for everyone.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:00 pm

There are plenty of people who do very well using a full-face mask. I wish that I was one of them, as I do find it more comfortable to breathe with a FFM versus nasal pillows. But I've tried almost all the FFM models, in various sizes, and they leak too much for me or are too uncomfortable. The one full-face mask that does work for me (sometimes) is the Fisher & Paykel 431. With the Quattro, in particular, I have to wear the bottom straps so tight that it does pull my jaw back and result in more apneas. I've tried several sizes. Everyone's face is different. Mine happens to be rather "angular" with not much fat padding (plenty elsewhere, though).
Mask2sleep wrote:As an off-topic aside, thanks to suggestions from this board, I called my doctor a couple weeks ago with a constructive argument about where my therapy is currently at (AHI 15ish) and my concern of his wait and see plan with no changes to therapy, and he agreed to get me an auto machine. So tomorrow I’m changing from a PR System One BiPAP Pro to the PR System One BiPAP AUTO. I am looking forward to this change and am also slightly nervous as I’ve never been on an auto machine before, but I am hoping it will be of benefit.
I know what a struggle you've had from the beginning of your CPAP therapy, Mask2sleep. I'm so impressed that you've hung in there! I do hope that the BiPAP Auto brings your AHI down to a reasonable level. If not, perhaps you will need a more sophisticated machine, as your situation may be more complex. Please do let us know how you're doing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:20 pm

I think the problem is that too many professionals are taught about NORMAL structure, not abnormal structure.
I believe the definition of obstructive apnea implies abnormal structure.
Constriction in the nasal passages (abnormal?), promotes airflow along other routes--namely the mouth.
I am the only one who knows what it feels like to breathe through MY nose; and it is not always easy--especially when I'm asleep!

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:26 pm

There are several kinds of FFM.

For example this one:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/1410

and this one:

http://www.cpap-supply.com/FitLife-Tota ... 060801.htm

The FitLife mask seems to require more headgear tightness. On another forum there is a poster complaining about it after undergoing a neck spine fusion, who can't tighten the back strap enough to stop leaks.

As to the issue of breathing thru the mouth, it seems to me that the human body is built to breath thru the nose b/c the nose is equipped with organs for filtering, warming, and moistening the inhaled air while the mouth is not. Think about the way you were breathing air thru the nose when you're a baby suckling milk.

But the FFM also offers exhalation thru the mouth which is the correct way in sport but not for CPAP therapists. These therapists want your mouth to be closed at all time.

Last edited by avi123 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

jabman

Post by jabman » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:36 pm

While a nasal mask with a chin strap works wonders for me, I find it amazing that "professionals" that see only 0.01% (this percent is of course a guess) of the population that use a cpap say they know full face masks don't work.
One of the first things I have learned from this forum is that mask choice is a very personal thing.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

Big S

Post by Big S » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 pm

avi123 wrote:As to the issue of breathing thru the mouth, it seems to me that the human body is built to breath thru the nose b/c the nose is equipped with organs for filtering, warming, and moistening the inhaled air while the mouth is not. Think about the way you were breathing air thru the nose when you're a baby suckling milk.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. The problem is that I cannot inhale enough air and expel what I manage to take in to be able to breathe at all. When I started the cpap journey the docs office was filled with literature advising patients that they should make sure their noses worked because this therapy worked the best with nose breathers. Most of these pamphlets recommended surgery to solve any and all nose problems to ensure better compliance with cpap. I almost left because I knew it wouldn't happen with me. With each step I was a little shocked because I wasn't rejected for my lousy restricted nose breathing. I was even shocked when I was fitted with a mask that allowed me to mouth breathe because of the literature in the front office. It seemed the numbers were stacked against me. I had no chance of success if I remained a mouth breather. Since those initial visits, I have been compliant for over 4 months with just the normal complaints. I have pretty much solved my dry mouth and my machine provides what seems to be enough humidity. The machine also filters extremely well and warms the air as much as I can stand. What's not to like? It's my out of the body nose that funnels air through my mouth. I breathe better than I ever did and I even like the mask, luckily for me, the first one out of the box. I really like breathing while in bed. It's a new experience!

sol

Post by sol » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:13 pm

While nasal mask and chinstrap did works quite well for me but it gave me dry mouth due to mouth breathing .

Matt Beck

Post by Matt Beck » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:59 am

Only problem with Full Face Masks is the leak is high. This means you are not getting the full pressure and therapy due to the leak. Also, they can create sores on the nose/face due to being overtighten. Everyone is a mouth breather. We all mouth breath at night during REM sleep, when our brain shuts some muscles down.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am

Compliance is higher with nasal masks so maybe they hate recommending FFM because they are tired of constantly seeing people discontinuing their CPAP use. Even though my FFM is less comfortable I still prefer it because it minimizes my leaks very well and saves me from dry mouth.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Matt Beck wrote:Only problem with Full Face Masks is the leak is high. This means you are not getting the full pressure and therapy due to the leak. Also, they can create sores on the nose/face due to being overtighten. Everyone is a mouth breather. We all mouth breath at night during REM sleep, when our brain shuts some muscles down.
Absolutely, totally, 100%.......WRONG!!!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Matt Beck wrote:Only problem with Full Face Masks is the leak is high. This means you are not getting the full pressure and therapy due to the leak. Also, they can create sores on the nose/face due to being overtighten. Everyone is a mouth breather. We all mouth breath at night during REM sleep, when our brain shuts some muscles down.
The leak can be higher, but not necessarily, and modern machines compensate without problem for most leaks.
Also, nor everyone is a mouth breather, many have no problems with their jaw opening during sleep.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Matt Beck wrote:Only problem with Full Face Masks is the leak is high. This means you are not getting the full pressure and therapy due to the leak.
That's your problem. You must not be able to fit and adjust a FFM properly. I've been using one for about 15 years - leak level is 0.0.

Matt Beck wrote:Also, they can create sores on the nose/face due to being overtighten.
Then why do you overtighten your mask?? In about 15 years of use, I have never had a sore on my nose caused by a FFM.

Matt Beck wrote:Everyone is a mouth breather. We all mouth breath at night during REM sleep, when our brain shuts some muscles down.
You are just full of bad information today. Many people can sleep all night, including REM periods, without breathing or leaking through the mouth.
Sheffey

Sheffey

Post by Sheffey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm

palerider wrote:The leak can be higher, but not necessarily, and modern machines compensate without problem for most leaks.
Also, nor everyone is a mouth breather, many have no problems with their jaw opening during sleep.
You are too easy on that stupid idiot drive-by guest. I hope you did not lose your edge over that imbecilic Rudeness thread.
Sheffey