Poll: How long on cpap? How old are you?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

How long have you been on cpap, how old are you?

Now less than 40 yrs old.
7%
Now between 40-50 yrs old.
11%
Now between 50-60 yrs old.
19%
Now between 60-70 yrs old.
10%
Now between 70-80 yrs old.
4%
Now more than 80 yrs old.
1%
On cpap less than 5 yrs.
36%
On cpap between 5-10 yrs.
7%
On cpap between 10-15 yrs
4%
On cpap more than 15 yrs.
2%

Total votes: 675

feeling_better

Poll: How long on cpap? How old are you?

Post by feeling_better » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:07 pm

Choose one for your age, choose one for how long you have been on cpap.

This is for general knowledge of people here. I am not doing this for any project or other studies. Remember your info is totally anonymous, PLEASE PARTICIPATE ONLY WHEN YOU WISH TO ENTER TRUE INFORMATION. There is no game or points to wn here Thank you for your cooperation

Cordially,
feeling better
Resmed S9 Elite cpap mode, H5i Humidifier, Swift FX Bella L nasal pillows

LSAT

Re: Poll: How long on cpap? How old are you?

Post by LSAT » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:46 pm

If you are interested in ages...check this previous poll.

viewtopic/t58295/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40 ... ll#p379409

rad3766

Post by rad3766 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Im just coming up on 52. Been on CPAP just shy of 3 weeks, so Im still in that really steep learning curve, but Im pleased with how its going so far.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 pm

54 yrs old and been on the hose for 12 years now.

Never too young (or old depending on how you look at things) to try something different. Tonight will be my first night with the Resmed nasal Mirage Softgel mask. I haven't tried anything other than nasal pillows since the god awful Sullivan bubble mask that came with my first machine. That wasn't a mask but a torture device.

JeffH

jabman

Post by jabman » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 pm

I am 39 years old and have been on CPAP since July

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:20 pm

I've been sleeping with Dumbo (the machine ) since April 15, 2010.
The old guy, since 1968.
I'm 63, and I feel a lot younger than that now.

BadThad

Post by BadThad » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:53 pm

47 and on CPAP for almost 4 years.

For the new folks....I LOVE MY APAP! After using it for a few years now I'm in great physical condition and I sleep better than a 10 year old kid. I'm never tired and I outlast everyone I know during the day. I sleep far less than most people (6-7 hours) because the quality of my sleep is so good and I can go many more hours than most before I get tired. I hear people everyday complain about how tired they are and I have to smile because I am not tired.....I'm just never tired since I started on my APAP machine. Many days I've lasted 16-18 hours before I have to sleep. Late at night when everyone around me is falling asleep on chairs and couches, I'm wide awake! LOL
I handle my OWN CPAP use without doctors.

epichic

Post by epichic » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:09 am

I'm 35 and just finished my second night with APAP.

linagee

Post by linagee » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 am

BadThad wrote:47 and on CPAP for almost 4 years.

For the new folks....I LOVE MY APAP! After using it for a few years now I'm in great physical condition and I sleep better than a 10 year old kid. I'm never tired and I outlast everyone I know during the day. I sleep far less than most people (6-7 hours) because the quality of my sleep is so good and I can go many more hours than most before I get tired. I hear people everyday complain about how tired they are and I have to smile because I am not tired.....I'm just never tired since I started on my APAP machine. Many days I've lasted 16-18 hours before I have to sleep. Late at night when everyone around me is falling asleep on chairs and couches, I'm wide awake! LOL
BadThad, I am curious if you have your min/max set to a narrow range, or do you have it "wide open"?

Oh yes and to respond to the post, 2.5 months, 29.

BadThad

Post by BadThad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:20 pm

linagee wrote:
BadThad wrote:47 and on CPAP for almost 4 years.

BadThad, I am curious if you have your min/max set to a narrow range, or do you have it "wide open"?

Oh yes and to respond to the post, 2.5 months, 29.
Auto PAP 10-14 cm. I'm at 10 most of the time with some moves to 11-12-13 and very, vary rarely 14.

Over the last year I've gone from 240 lbs to 193 lbs (5'10"), quit smoking and started exercising more. I've always been a avid hiker but took the winter off. Now I'm using a treadmill instead of taking time off until spring. I've been thinking about trying a lower setting yet to see how I respond. Originally, my doc put me on 12-16 cm and I've been lowering that over the past year successfully. Next step will be 9-12 cm. Actually, at this point, I don't think I really even need xPAP, I'm thin and in shape....but....I actually LIKE using it....as strange as it sounds. My AHI is always less than 2 so why give up a good thing.

jbenenson

Post by jbenenson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:30 pm

I'm really happy that your treatment has been so successful! One caveat: I wouldn't discontinue xPAP even with your results. To me it's similar to somebody stopping blood pressure medication because they have good results. It's possible that if you stop treatment your OSA problems could return.
Never, never, never, never say never

BadThad

Post by BadThad » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 pm

jbenenson wrote:I'm really happy that your treatment has been so successful! One caveat: I wouldn't discontinue xPAP even with your results. To me it's similar to somebody stopping blood pressure medication because they have good results. It's possible that if you stop treatment your OSA problems could return.
Indeed....I'm going to keep using it.

Sparkle

Post by Sparkle » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:45 am

Been on CPAP for about 7 years
I am now aged 74

2flamingos

Post by 2flamingos » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 pm

54, and been on APAP for a little over 2 years.

BadThad - congrats on being able to reduce your settings, on your wieght loss, and the overall success of your therapy!

I am, unfortunately, thinking about adjusting mine setting a little higher. My AHI is not bad - generally below 3; but I am at or near the top of my range (9.5-13) frequently. I'm just not sure which to adjust - or should I adjust both? The only concern I have about adjusting the higher number is that I did have a few Centrals during my study and titration.

Old enough to know better

Karma is a Wonderful Thing.

BadThad

Post by BadThad » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:04 pm

2flamingos wrote:54, and been on APAP for a little over 2 years.

BadThad - congrats on being able to reduce your settings, on your wieght loss, and the overall success of your therapy!

I am, unfortunately, thinking about adjusting mine setting a little higher. My AHI is not bad - generally below 3; but I am at or near the top of my range (9.5-13) frequently. I'm just not sure which to adjust - or should I adjust both? The only concern I have about adjusting the higher number is that I did have a few Centrals during my study and titration.
Your APAP is running a lot at 13? If so, I would definately increase it to 14 to see how you respond. As far as the range, my feeling is you should be about 80% at the bottom each night. If you're running 80% at the top, your titration is too low. You should probably try 11-14 and see how it works for you. Like I said....and this is just my opinion....you should be 80% or more at your lowest pressure.