Breeze is good - but some irritation...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sinemac

Breeze is good - but some irritation...

Post by sinemac » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:51 am

As an early Christmas present to myself, I got a Breeze with Nasal Pillows a few days ago. Overall I find it comfortable and good for my side sleeping (no waking because of leaking air blowing in my eye! YAY!). However, I have also experienced significant discomfort where the pillows touch the inside of my nose. It's fine at first, but if I wake up during the night, just inside my nostrils feels so sore and raw that I have to take it off. I've tried both large and extra large sized pillows. The extra large were definitely better (a little more difficult to get set comfortably and without leaks, but once set I did sleep longer before waking with sore nostrils). I've even tried using Ayr Nasal Gel around the inside rim of my nostrils, and while that may help a bit, it hasn't solved the problem.

So, based on relatively limited experience (Comfort Classic, Profile Lite, and Breeze pillows), so far I'd say I definitely prefer the pillow system (there was enough leaking with each of the masks to make me well less than 100% compliant). I'm wondering which of the other pillow systems is good for side to 3/4 stomach sleeping, but with softer pillows? Other than being sore and raw feeling after a few hours use, I don't have a problem with something that has to go up my nose.

On the one hand, I don't mind doing some trial and error on masks... on the other hand, I'm hoping I can find the right system for me without spending $1000 on masks in the process!

Thanks,
Scott

WillSucceed

Nasal pillow systems

Post by WillSucceed » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:23 pm

Hi Scott:
I've been using the Respironics Comfort-Lite nasal system and have liked it. I sleep mostly on my side (not at all on my stomach) and this system seems to give me a really good seal with no discomfort around my nares.

I don't think it would work very well if you sleep on your stomach. You can see it on the Respironics (http://www.respironics.com) site.

Good luck.

Edie

Post by Edie » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:48 pm

I use the Breeze. I had irritation and sore nostrils the first week or so using it. Now I don't even notice the pillows.

It's like when I first got my braces. The inside of my mouth was very sore, but shortly my mouth adjusted to the abrasion.

The nasal pillows are less abrading than metal braces, so you may adjust very soon.
I got used to wearing contacts & braces, and now I'm used to CPAP, too.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:51 pm

I get a little irritation from my swift. I put a triple antibiotic on it in the morning. So far it's not to bad.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

sinemac

Post by sinemac » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:59 pm

Thanks for your responses...

I guess I'll try to stick with it a while longer to see if I gradually build up a tolerance. I had completely forgotten what it was like to have braces! At least with this, I won't have to have it "tightened" every few weeks.

Although the discomfort is enough to keep me from getting back to sleep once I wake up, my nose seems to be fine within about a half an hour or so of taking the Breeze off. If the length of time before waking keeps going up, maybe I'll be okay within a week or so - as long as the irritation goes away quickly, I wouldn't mind so much waking up after a good (long) night's sleep with it.

I'll keep using the nasal gel, and maybe try some anti-biotic ointment in the morning if it's bad, and see how I do in ourlasting the "break-in" period.

Take care,
Scott

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:50 pm

Over the counter cortisone cream/lotion...minimally around each nare PRN(as needed). Also, experiment with the tightness of the interface.

I got really sore about six days into initial use of my PB Breeze nasal pillows...I snugged it up too TIGHT! Wow that hurts.

I just love this one...I have large and extra large pillows...I usually alternate nightly. However, I have found that the large work better. I used a nasal mask briefly during my 'healing process'...otherwise, I use the nasal pillows!

BigE

ginnylee

Post by ginnylee » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:52 pm

I used the mask for about 4 years and started getting eye irritation and even had some erosions in one eye which caused much discomfort, including blindness for a few days........I then started using the Breeze and my eyes immediately improved, but I myself don't like the nasal pillows...I also feel they are uncomfortable and I was continually waking up with sore nostrils and continual sneezing.......I went back to the mask just a few days ago and am hoping I can use it w/o the leaking into my eyes.....That air blowing in your eyes all night isn't good......I think the mask is definitely the most comfortable......I've been on the cpap for 7 yrs. now and have tried just about everything imagineable.....Now I'm noticing that I'm getting more and more sinus problems and I attribute these to the cpap......It's like everything else......You get something to fix one problem and it causes another problem..........

BigSwede

Post by BigSwede » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:56 am

Your nostrils will toughen up some, but it is worthwhile to experiment with different sizes of pillows. I do very well with the clear (medium) pillows, but if I move up to the mint green (large) pillows, I have much much more irritation.

In the winter I sometimes have to use chapstick or similar on my nostrils, works fine.

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:50 pm

I've recently switched from the large to the medium pillows on my Swift and they seem to be more comfortable and cause less irritation. Try experimenting with the pillow size. Also with the Breeze you are able to use two different pillow sizes at the same time... that may be a solution also.
Sincerely,

sinemac

Post by sinemac » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:21 am

So far I seem to be having pretty good success alternating between the large and extra large. I'm now finding I'm pretty much okay until the morning - there is a little soreness when I get up, but it's not too bad. So, I guess I'm developing my nare callouses?

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:28 am

sinemac wrote:So, I guess I'm developing my nare callouses?
Nare callouses? Are we all going to end up with noses like WC Fields?
Sincerely,

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:52 am

sinemac

Post by sinemac » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:58 am

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:30 am

rested gal,

I'm confused, is this a picture of one of the masks in your vast collection?

Who makes this one?
Sincerely,

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:51 am

wading thru the muck! wrote:rested gal,

I'm confused, is this a picture of one of the masks in your vast collection?

Who makes this one?
Perhaps "Old MacDonald?"