Improved(?) PR 1 Filters

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Amigo

Improved(?) PR 1 Filters

Post by Amigo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Respironics has revised their white CPAP filters for the PR1 in an attempt to avoid "pop outs."

However, they not only removed the tab, they also removed most of the filter material.

These "new and improved" filters are now almost paper-thin.

It would appear that these redesigned filters will be MUCH less effective, and will probably require more frequent replacement...hopefully, not more than the two per month Medicare allows.

Of course, despite the reduction in size and material, the price was not similarly reduced.

jonquiljo

Re: Improved(?) PR 1 Filters

Post by jonquiljo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Amigo wrote:Respironics has revised their white CPAP filters for the PR1 in an attempt to avoid "pop outs."

However, they not only removed the tab, they also removed most of the filter material.

It would appear that these redesigned filters will be MUCH less effective, and will probably require more frequent replacement...hopefully, not more than the two per month Medicare allows.

Of course, despite the reduction in size and material, the price was not similarly reduced.
I've been using the generic cpap.com replacement with no problems. No pop out. Perhaps there are variances in the foam filter. Some are maybe larger? Mine stuffs in the little hole just fine - with or without the white filters.

Willtry

Post by Willtry » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 pm

It would be interesting to know how many mircons the filters is because I believe you can buy the filter paper in bulk and cut out you own.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:53 pm

Amigo wrote:Respironics has revised their white CPAP filters for the PR1 in an attempt to avoid "pop outs."

Do you know if they've discontinued the old style filters? If they perform better, I'd prefer to keep using them. I've had no problems with "pop-outs" like others have reported.
I'm workin' on it.

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:56 am

Hose_Head wrote:...

Do you know if they've discontinued the old style filters? If they perform better, I'd prefer to keep using them. I've had no problems with "pop-outs" like others have reported.
It appears they no longer make the "tabbed" white filter for the PR1 as the Respironics reference number for both the old and the new filters is the same...1035442.

Of course, your durable medical equipment provider may still have the old ones in stock, or you can check with CPAP.com.

It's also possible to contact Respironics directly ( http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/ ... ronics.wpd ), but I wouldn't hold my breath for helpful answer. I'm sure they'll just tell you to contact your DME provider.

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:58 am

Willtry wrote:It would be interesting to know how many mircons the filters is because I believe you can buy the filter paper in bulk and cut out you own.
I like your solution, but I doubt that Respironics will provide that information.

wesnkat

Post by wesnkat » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:24 am

I tried the new style as soon as available,first time I sneezed they blew out.
So I went back to the rubber band to hold them in. Oh well no problem I'll just keep my rubber band.

The Texan

Post by The Texan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:11 am

Hose_Head wrote:
The M series and the PR 1 use the exact same filter, so just order ones for the M series.

'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins, our home.
69 years old and back working in the oil patch, to survive retirement, in the current economy.

Amigo

Post by Amigo » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:56 am

The Texan wrote:
Hose_Head wrote:
The M series and the PR 1 use the exact same filter, so just order ones for the M series.
I'm afraid you'll find that the filters for both the M series and the PR1 are now identical...both are paper thin and without tabs.

The Respironics reference number for both is the same...1035442.

The Texan

Post by The Texan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 pm

Amigo wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Hose_Head wrote:
I'm afraid you'll find that the filters for both the M series and the PR1 are now identical...both are paper thin and without tabs.

The Respironics reference number for both is the same...1035442.
Sure glad I have about 4 dz of the old filters put away.....LOL.

'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins, our home.
69 years old and back working in the oil patch, to survive retirement, in the current economy.

DanOtn

Post by DanOtn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:42 pm

What is the difference between 1035442 and 1029331?

I am new at this. I just started using CPAP about 6 weeks ago and I need to figure out where I want to get my supplies.

The package my white filter came in has the number 1035442. I found 1029331 and it looks identical. I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

Thanks!

LackingSleep

Post by LackingSleep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:14 am

The difference is package size. The 1029331 is a pack of 6 ultra-fine filters. The 1035442 is a pack of 2 filters. These are standard for M Series, but were also used by Respironics for the newer Pr System 1 series. The actual newest filters are 1063096 and fit better in the new PR System One series. I have only been able to find them here; cpap filters and supplies dot com.

LackingSleep

Post by LackingSleep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:28 am

All,

CLARIFICATION:

The PR System 1 machine initially used the same filter as the M Series until Respironics developed a disposable tab-less filter that fits much better in the PR System 1 machine and reduces noise dramatically. These filters are referenced by OEM number 1063096. I have only found them at CPAP filters and supplies dot com as far as online sites are concerned.

Matt

LackingSleep

Post by LackingSleep » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 am

All,

I know some of the engineers at Respironics and it was explained that there is actually a surface are increase - almost 15%. Notice that the seal on the edges of the new filter do not extend inwards like the M series. That 1/8" perimeter seal does not filter it is a waste of filter area. The new filters (PR System one) filters are made with smaller diameter, electrostatically charged fibers which are comparible to the thicker filters when you add the surface area.

Matt

DanOtn

Post by DanOtn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:39 pm

Thanks for the information!!!