Is there a way to test Remstar Auto is working ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hugh Jass

Is there a way to test Remstar Auto is working ?

Post by Hugh Jass » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:53 am

After using a rental for a week, it was determined that the machine was defective because according to the report, it never increased above pressure of 5 the whole night. Also leaks were a constant 4.

I had thought that if I used the unit for 5-10 minutes then held my breath for over 10 seconds, theorhetically the pressure should start to increase (thinking it was an apnea)

My provider says no since you have to be asleep.

I know the machine is intelligent, but does it really know when I am asleep ?

I want to make sure that the next unit I get actually works.

Thanks in advance

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:00 pm

Looks like there was an interest in the question but no one had an answer.

I'll answer my own question for anyone interested.

My theory was correct and my supplier was wrong.

It turns out that the first machine I rented was a dud.

The replacement unit I acquired is good since after using it for about 5 minutes, I hold my breath for ten seconds and the pressure starts to increase. If I do it again, I get the same result. (You may want to unplug your memory card (if equipped) temporarily while doing this as it will affect your AHI on any reports).

Just a suggestion to any renters of an AUTO CPAP to try this. I lost a week of therapy becase the first machine was defective..

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi H.J.

(sorry I can't type your user name without laughing)

I didn't see you post the first time. How was you AHI on the defective machine? What has it been with the new machine. That is the best way to tell if things are working.

Glad you got a new one. Is it the Auto w/ c-flex?
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:31 pm

The AHI on the defective machine was what tipped us off. The numbers made no sense. I don't recall what it was, just that it was impossible.

I think with the new rental it's down to 1 or 2, but that's only with a few days of data. (This time I wanted to be sure the machine was good..)

I'm buying the Auto with C-Flex sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Regards

littlebaddow

Post by littlebaddow » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:35 pm

Thanks for the question and the answer Hugh (or is it Hooj?)
I'm a new user (5th week) and have just returned the loan machine which was fixed at 10cm as I've acquired an auto. I've only used it a couple of nights, but was wondering how to tell if it was really working. I even asked my wife if she would wake up in the night and check what pressure was showing, but she wasn't too impressed! Now I can try your neat trick.
Cheers

Peter

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:35 pm

OK. With all that in mind, does that mean the the 'AUTO' setting on my REMstar pro in the 'ON' setting mean that it'll increase the pressure till it detects I am breathing again? Not sure whether to turn it on or off. Keep in mind this is not a user setting, but a set-up seeting on my machine that is only supposed to be accessed by a Clinicain.

Peter

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:56 pm

Peter,

If it is set to Auto the test should work. If it's set to a certain pressure it won't change no matter how long you hold your breath.

Regards

Peter

RE: Auto Setting on REMstar pro

Post by Peter » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:01 pm

Hugh,

I don't think that 'AUTO' is a setting in the area where one sets the pressure. So, what is 'AUTO' for on my machine. Anyone know?

Peter

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:06 pm

Hugh,

A residual AHI of 1 or 2 on the new machine sounds like it's working great for you. Good for you, pushing the issue and getting a good machine.
Sincerely,

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:29 pm

Peter.

I don't have a REMSTAR Pro, but I presume what you are seeing is that the unit is set in Auto mode.

This would have been set up by your clinical professional, based on what your Dr. prescribed, i.e. either fixed pressure or Auto mode.

Regards

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:38 am

Peter, as best I can tell from looking at the REMstar Pro machines on cpap.com, I don't think any of the REMstars with "Pro" in their name are autopaps. They are cpaps delivering a single unvarying pressure all night. The Pro also can come with "C-Flex" to drop the pressure some for each exhalation, but as far as treatment, the Pro is a "cpap" machine. It's not an autopap machine that can change pressure automatically depending on what you need while you sleep.

In the description of features for the REMstar Pro, I read this:

"Automatic start and stop operation."

Looks like that's what the "Auto" button on your REMstar Pro is referring to. Enabling "Auto" start would make the machine start up if you simply put your mask on and take several deep breaths.

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:55 am

[quote
Just a suggestion to any renters of an AUTO CPAP to try this. I lost a week of therapy becase the first machine was defective..[/quote]

HUGH
Can you tell me did you still have to pay for the week that you lost?

Hugh Jass

Post by Hugh Jass » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:11 pm

Actually, I'll find out next week since my first months rental started on the 14th of December.

I'm sure if I press the issue they will give me another weeks rental at no charge.

Since the rental price is coming off of the total price for the new REMSTAR Auto with C-Flex that I'm buying soon, it's not too big of an issue for me.

I was more upset that I wasted a week using a broken machine.

Regards.

Fifi

Post by Fifi » Sat Jan 08, 2005 5:57 pm

I hired a autoset spirit from resmed,as I was thinking of buying their machine. The agreement was for a month.

Mine too was faulty and ramped up to 18/20 as soon as I swithched the thing on. They tried to blame me for the fact that it was not working, saying I was not connecting it up properly. this was not the first time I had used a spirit. i found thir comments quite insulting.

They reluctantly took the machine back and said our tests show there is absolutely nothing wrong with he machine. They sent a machine back that worked and said sorry you can only have it now for 21 days! Despiter my pleading and begging.

Petty or what. If this is how they behave before I have even purchased a machine from them, I hate to thing what the after sales service is going to be like!

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Fifi,

Can I ask how much it cost you to rent the spirit for a month (or 21 days )

I curious relative to the full cost of the machine what a 30 day rental is.

Thanks.
Sincerely,