mask caused Staph Infection

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pears5

mask caused Staph Infection

Post by pears5 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi all, I am new to CPAP so I need all the help I can get. I have had my CPAP Machine for two weeks now and am having quite a few problems, but my major concern is the bridge of my nose has become very infected and is now an open wound. This has happened from using my mask which I clean every morning with alcohol wipes. I had swabs taken by my doctor last week and is turns out to be golden staph. I am now on antibiotics to cure the infection. I work in a hospital so because of the infection I am unable to go to work till it clears. I am now using a full face mask but I cant get a good seal no matter what I try. Has anyone else had these problems ? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cflame1

Re: mask caused Staph Infection

Post by cflame1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:07 pm

here's a post by somebody who had a staph infection from his mask (name TheDreamer)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40643&p=355589&hilit=staph#p355589

Physician

Post by Physician » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:27 pm

pears5 wrote:Hi all, I am new to CPAP so I need all the help I can get. I have had my CPAP Machine for two weeks now and am having quite a few problems, but my major concern is the bridge of my nose has become very infected and is now an open wound. This has happened from using my mask which I clean every morning with alcohol wipes. I had swabs taken by my doctor last week and is turns out to be golden staph. I am now on antibiotics to cure the infection. I work in a hospital so because of the infection I am unable to go to work till it clears. I am now using a full face mask but I cant get a good seal no matter what I try. Has anyone else had these problems ? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By "golden staph" did you mean coagulase positive staph aureus ?

Have you ever had a lesion on that part of your nose (or nearby) before ?

pears5

Post by pears5 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:50 pm

Thanks for asking Yes I meant that infection. And Yes I had the exact same thing in the exact same spot,two years ago when I tried a friends CPAP for a week.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:00 pm

My first experience with a nasal mask I developed an angry puss filled pressure sore. Thankfully it healed over time without a doctor visit. I went to using nasal pillows masks. If you are a mouth breather, there are masks like the Hybrid that are a combination of nasal pillows and also cover the mouth, but the bridge of the nose is not touched. Best wishes in clearing that infection up.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi, what bad luck! I wanted to mention something though and hope it helps in future. The 'total' mask is not a 'full face' mask, and is in fact known to be very leaky for most people. If you go to Cpap.com (or your DME) and check out 'full face' masks, reading reviews at the bottom of pages, looking at the graphics for each, etc., you can hopefully find something in the right size for you that is more suitable (if not for now, then later). You're using the 'total' now I guess because of your nose, but there are other masks that don't impact your nose at all - they have 'cushions' or 'pillows' for your nostrils (but less traumatic!) and hoses that go straight from there up over your head, or else something like the Hybrid with that feature but that also covers your mouth if you lose Cpap air that way (and shouldn't, of course). Anyhow, good luck!

pears5

Post by pears5 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:49 pm

thank you all for your comments,
I can see that I will need to try other masks the one I have now is not good and is very leaky.

binky11

Post by binky11 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:05 pm

binky11
Well I am sure having the same problem with the bridge of my nose getting all red, swollen and sore after being switched to the res med full face mask. There looks like there could be an infection developing also. Has anybody been to this site or tried this ladies products for relief? Well so sorry they would not let me post the site of this place that sells nose protectors and yet this is the very forum I got the site from? Just go to google and type in "pad a cheek" and it will come up. I got this site from another post on this forum. I wonder if they work? I now cannot wear my mask/machine and this is not good either. I am awake all night with dry mouth (due to meds) and always wake with a migraine when I do not wear my bi-pap. But my nose is too sore to wear it. It does not feel tight when I put it on at night, but obviosuly it must be because it's awful in the morning. I tired even putting a small piece of gauze under the bridge of my nose for padding but this even caused leakage, so I am wondering how this ladies products work, and if anybody has ever ordered anything from her with success? I am thinking about ordering the nose protector pad, I am at a loss as to what to do. I did go back to my vital aire company shortly after having this problem, but she said there wasn't much they could do? So I have to go untreated with my sleep apnea which is classified as severe? There must be a solution? I do need a full face mask as I am a big time mouth breather. Any suggestions guys?

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Physician wrote:
pears5 wrote:Hi all, I am new to CPAP so I need all the help I can get. I have had my CPAP Machine for two weeks now and am having quite a few problems, but my major concern is the bridge of my nose has become very infected and is now an open wound. This has happened from using my mask which I clean every morning with alcohol wipes. I had swabs taken by my doctor last week and is turns out to be golden staph. I am now on antibiotics to cure the infection. I work in a hospital so because of the infection I am unable to go to work till it clears. I am now using a full face mask but I cant get a good seal no matter what I try. Has anyone else had these problems ? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By "golden staph" did you mean coagulase positive staph aureus ?

Have you ever had a lesion on that part of your nose (or nearby) before ?
Physician, I'm wondering if you could explain why you asked that question and Pears answered Yes. Is it only this particular staph infection that is recurring or do all staphs have that in common?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

DiannaRT

Post by DiannaRT » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:28 pm

You might try the mask called SleepWeaver by Circadiance. It is made of parachute material and is really soft and non irritating. A cheap solution for now would be to cut a piece of T shirt material to put under the edge of your mask. It sounds like it is too tight on your nose. Do you have a spacer device for it or can it be loosened up without it leaking air?

brain_cloud

Post by brain_cloud » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:42 pm

DiannaRT wrote:You might try the mask called SleepWeaver by Circadiance. It is made of parachute material and is really soft and non irritating. A cheap solution for now would be to cut a piece of T shirt material to put under the edge of your mask. It sounds like it is too tight on your nose.
Or a moleskin patch over the sore spot can be helpful. It has the additional advantage of making you look like a boxer.

binky11

Post by binky11 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:22 pm

I will check into that sleepweaver one. I don't understand why they are not letting me post my url from that ladies site that sells nose protectors when I see lots of other people posting url's for special pillows ect? I even tired it without making it officially a url. I guess I am concerned now because some one mentioned staph infection and my nose appears to be getting infected. It is so sore right now I cannot wear any mask, which concerns me as my sleep apnea is severe, and until this gets cleared up I obviously have to go without wearing my bi-pap machine at all. I'm not new to the machine, but new to the full face mask and personally I HATE it with a passion and would like to throw the whole works out the window. Now do you want to know how I "really" feel? LOL It's been a major thorn in my side for 12+ years. Sorry, felt the need to vent.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:35 pm

binky you have to be logged on in order to post a URL

and many people use padacheek's products... she actually posts here too

binky11

Post by binky11 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:08 am

Thank you for that. I was not logged in, however, when I went to log in it said my user name was incorrect and it is obviously binky11? I have to type that in to even post. So what is going on there I have no idea. Sounds as if you guys know the link anyway and know who I am talking about that sells the nose protectors. Gee I have to try something soon. It's like I'm doomed no matter what, can't wear mask and suffer if I don't. And look like rudolph to boot! And now I can't even sign in so maybe I should call it a night and hope my nose is no bigger in the morning LOL Nite all and thanks for your idea's and suggestions.

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:17 am

binky11 wrote:Thank you for that. I was not logged in, however, when I went to log in it said my user name was incorrect and it is obviously binky11? I have to type that in to even post. So what is going on there I have no idea. Sounds as if you guys know the link anyway and know who I am talking about that sells the nose protectors. Gee I have to try something soon. It's like I'm doomed no matter what, can't wear mask and suffer if I don't. And look like rudolph to boot! And now I can't even sign in so maybe I should call it a night and hope my nose is no bigger in the morning LOL Nite all and thanks for your idea's and suggestions.
Try clearing your browser cookies for this site (or all of them if you don't have a newer web browser), and the trying to log back in. This site does this once in a while.

I would take a serious look at the hybrid mask. It has all the advantages of a FFM without the nose bridge contact.

I will occasionally (2 or 3 times since starting xPAP therapy 18 months ago) get a pimple or minor infection in the nasal pillow contact area. But, they tend to heal really quickly. That said, staph infections in the skin can be challenging to get rid of. I had one that bothered me off and on for about 18 months. Good basic hygiene was the clue to getting rid of that infection. Plus, the doctor gave me a supply of 'take as needed' antibiotics (understanding that I knew how to use antibiotics properly and responsibly) to control serious flare-ups.