Soaps For Cleaning CPAP Equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gracie97

Post by gracie97 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:50 pm

That last post was from me. Been gone a while and forgot to sign in.
Started CPAP on 7/1/2005
Mild apnea
Plus upper airway resistance syndrome with severe alpha intrusion

rock and roll

Post by rock and roll » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:42 pm

IMHO, I find that ANY soap breaks down the rubber where ANY interface does not seal as well. ResMEd or not, and they only say their masks should last for 90 days remember, I use 1 part vinegar to three parts water and soak for about eight hours. Seals like a dream the next night and I have yet to wear out any interface, ever. I learned this from the furniture business when preserving or restoring plastic or rubber parts. I think most people get phobic about cleaning their masks and way overclean them. Unless you are sharing it with someone else, YUK!, or you have a cold, why clean it so darn much? Do you clean your glasses or hearing aids etc. every darn morning? The only thing I remember cleaing so much was my sons baby pacifier but then he dropped it in public places a lot. I store my interface in a clean dry spot. Again, IMHO but if one were to clean anything as much as some of you do your masks, it would wear out and quit working.

Ebay store

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:29 pm

Hello,
If anyone is looking for cheap CPAP accessories, you should check out my e-bay store. Its called CPAP accessories, and we sell, fliters, replacement cushions and flaps, as well as grey tubing for the cheapest prices. Please check it out. Just go to ebay.com and seach for my store CPAP accessories. We will be adding masks soon as well so you can save up to 15 dollars off retail prices. Thanks.

Sadie

Post by Sadie » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 pm

For mask parts, I use either Kirks Castile or Dawn, then rinse well.

Sleepless_in_LM

Post by Sleepless_in_LM » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:03 pm

I use the Ivory as well. It is actually a liquid hand soap, but doesn't have any scent added, or anti-bacterial. I have found it in a handy pump size and also in a large refill size. If I am not mistaken, I found the pump size at Wally World.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:44 pm

I can vouch for R&R's tip - I learned it from him, and use it happily on both kinds of nasal pillows that I have.

As for cleaning glasses - well, actually , yes. The more shortsighted you are, the more those little specks of dirt on your glasses disturb your vision. I clean my glasses with cold water and dishsoap almost ever morning... I see better like that.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

canuck88

Post by canuck88 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:33 pm

I use either SpectroGel or Cetaphil - both very gentle face cleaners...

Just a Guest

f

Post by Just a Guest » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:12 pm

I used to get a lot of zits on my chin, cheeks and forehead when I first started using my CPAP machine. I use a full face mask, and would wash everything every weekend, but needed to do something with the mask every night. I bought some Clean and Clear wipes (for your face) and wiped the mask with it and then cleaned my face. That helped clear up my face and did not seem to harm the mask.

Usually I just use dish soap, but lately have been having a problem with the humidifier in my machine. I have a Respironics M series. I do not use distilled water, but I do use purified water from my refrigerator. It seems that when I first turn it one, for a few seconds it blows out foul smelling air. After that, it is fine. I think I will try Baby Shampoo.

Also an idea, Johnson's has a lavender baby shampoo out. That may be good for washing equipment with, as it is calming. Equate also has a lavender bath wash which is essentially the same thing.

CarrieS

Re: Cleaning CPAP hosesand masks.

Post by CarrieS » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:49 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I had used Liquid Ivory Classic, (which means the old original one) for 3 years now. It is very good and contains nothing that would harm anything on the equipment. I am Canadian so am assuming this is available in some other countries.
Yup here in the US too, thats what I use as well and it seems to work great.

rachie

Vinegar

Post by rachie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:16 pm

My DME insists that a one part vinegar to ten parts water solution to soak and clean my mask/tubing/water chamber is the only way to go.

Do you all feel that is not sufficient to clean these things? I noticed someone else posted about the mask I use, indicating that ResMed says NOT to use vinegar for their mask. Now I'm not sure if I should be using a different cleaning method!

Wulfman

Re: Vinegar

Post by Wulfman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:22 pm

rachie wrote:My DME insists that a one part vinegar to ten parts water solution to soak and clean my mask/tubing/water chamber is the only way to go.

Do you all feel that is not sufficient to clean these things? I noticed someone else posted about the mask I use, indicating that ResMed says NOT to use vinegar for their mask. Now I'm not sure if I should be using a different cleaning method!
If you use distilled water in your humidifier, there's no need to clean that or your hose.
I wash my masks and headgear with Dawn dishwashing liquid and have never used any kind of vinegar solution......but some do and swear by it, too.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

xyz

Post by xyz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:21 pm

People who have allergies often need to use different products than those who don't. My allergy doctor likes Vann's Free and Clear liquid cleanser. Turns out I was allergic to SoftSoap (that I used every day on my mask). He did a 48 hr skin test and it turned my skin red. Tide Free did too.

<www.psico.com> Products -> Liquid Cleanser

I would never use vinegar on a mask, just a mild soap.
Also, use distilled water in your humidifier.

deglorious

Post by deglorious » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:50 pm

Like Den, I use Dawn dish soap. Not the antibacterial kind and soak the mask in a 50/50 vinegar/water solution once a week.

I have also used baby wash, but it seemed to make the silicon seal not as clear as the Dawn.

Deglorious

allen476

Post by allen476 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:44 pm

I use Dawn as well. When I replaced my seal this last time, I started then and to this day it is still clear and sticky like. I followed the DME's advice when I first started and used baby shampoo. It seemed like it was never clean.

Allen

Auntie_Rose

Post by Auntie_Rose » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:15 pm

I went to the Health Food store (small,locally owned) and found a liquid baby soap. It works great. I think it is Dr Bonners. I have found them to be very helpful.
S**t Happens! But why is it always happening to me?