First night with S9 autoset and already feeling better

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lali0020

First night with S9 autoset and already feeling better

Post by lali0020 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:29 pm

So last night I got to use my new S9 that I convinced the doctor I needed after a second sleep study where the technician said he could never quite find the correct pressure. For the last year I've been set at about 11 and last night with a range from 7-15, I had a median of 12 and 95th% of 14 with a max of 14.8. My AHI was 1.8 and leaks were 8.4L/min. I must say I definitely felt more refreshed this morning but still slept right through my alarm. I really hope this continues as I keep using my S9. Now as far as my numbers go, is the leaking too high? It seems a little high and could probably be some mouth breathing by me but is it anything to be concerned with? Also should I slowly be walking my range up from the 7 closer to 12 or is it insignificant to change that? Is a very narrow range or a wide range of pressures better with the autoset? Thanks.

jmelby

Re: First night with S9 autoset and already feeling better

Post by jmelby » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Your leak rate is still acceptable (24L/min the rate that is considered high leak), but you may be mouth breathing, which could be solved with a chin strap (I use the PapCap and like it). Do you wake up with a very dry mouth? That is the sign for me when I knew I was at least opening my mouth. A lot of people on here will recommend increasing your starting pressure to closer to your 95% pressure, with the theory being that if you need to get there anyway, why wait until the machine catches up with you. That said, I think the S9 gets to a needed pressure more quickly than other machines.

(yet another Jeff)