Best Mask Cleaner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Starone

Best Mask Cleaner

Post by Starone » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:34 pm

What is the best mask cleaner on the market?
in order to extend the life of my cushions?

HoseCrusher

Re: Best Mask Cleaner

Post by HoseCrusher » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:30 pm

http://www.respi-products.com/ This stuff works very well, but the daily spray solution is too strong and should be cut in half.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:49 am

I've used only Ivory Classic Dishwashing Liquid for 8 years now. I clean it with this every week and wash just the cushions/pillows in it daily. Some days I use the Citrus wipes instead - a few times a week. Works fine for me.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

stephanie13724

Post by stephanie13724 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:50 am

Any soap that is NOT antibacterial will be gentle enough not to ruin your equipment, but strong enough to actually clean. Also, baby wipes are a great "quick" option for travel or for the days that you don't have enough time to do a thurough cleaning. I wouldn't substitute the baby wipes for actual soap and water on a permanent basis, but great if you are in a bind. Ivory soap or Johnson's Baby Shampoo are both great NON-Antibacterial options. Hope that was helpful!
Stephanie13724

CinnyAnn

Post by CinnyAnn » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:40 am

This may be stupid to ask, but why not antibacterial soap. Too strong, maybe. I have been using Dial handsoap that is antibacterial. Sounds as if I will have to change.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

Dawn Dishwashing Liquid 1x week and citrus wipes cut in half in between.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:15 am

I use Dr. Bronner's pure castile liquid soap. I have it in both unscented and in lavender. It is all natural and very gentle. I love the lavender smell on my nasal pillows....

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Not sure there is a "best cleaner on the market," as you can probably see by the range of recommendations here. I have used any-brand baby shampoo for over two years to clean both nasal pillow masks & FFM cushions. I have never seen a need to pay premium price for the dedicated cpap Citrus Wipes. Have been using Orange fragrance Clorox non-bleach disinfectant wipes (available at Target and other such stores) for the past year with my FFM cushion, and whenever traveling. No effect on the cushion whatever; no trace of the orange fragrance whatever (just nice when I'm cleaning the cushion in the mornings); and so easy to pack in a ziplock for trips. You only need to cut 2" off each wipe as you pull it up, to clean your cushion or pillows. A canister of 75 wipes at a cost of about $7.00 therefore lasts a minimum of 7 or more months. (These wipes are by the way deemed safe for baby's things).

EDIT: Whoops!--Full disclosure. I forgot to mention that I am one of those who has found that I have a much better seal with a FFM when I do Not wash or clean the cushion for many days at a time (but do wash my face every night an hour before bedtime). And I'm pretty much OCD about cleaning.....so go figure!
Last edited by plr66 on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Beachmeezer

Post by Beachmeezer » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:46 pm

I have never taken my mask apart and cleaned it. The first mask 6 months and on two months with the current mask. I wipe down with unscented CPAP masks from cpap.com every few days. I love them. My mask is never funky and always feels clean. I do soak the headgear maybe every 30-60 days in Neutrogena soap. - Kim

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:08 pm

Dawn daily soak for 30 mins -- 3 hrs. I have terrible allergy, rhinitis, sinusitis issues. Dawn is the only cleaner that really works for my pillows.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Muse-Inc wrote:Dawn daily soak for 30 mins -- 3 hrs.
Wow, Muse--Just curious why you see need to soak for so long? Can't imagine there's anything but skin oil on your cushion, and that would be removed within a couple of minutes if you just wipe the cushion in your detergent.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:37 pm

plr66 wrote:..Just curious why you see need to soak for so long? Can't imagine there's anything but skin oil on your cushion, and that would be removed within a couple of minutes if you just wipe the cushion in your detergent.
Crud from nasal discharge that just won't loosen/wash away easily; some mornings pretty bad, some almost nil...those are the mornings with great numbers & little congestion

PS Allergy crud is mostly proteins as I understand it and proteins are really sticky.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

lakejumper

Post by lakejumper » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:32 pm

I like the idea of using wipes for cleaning my mask, especially when I'm traveling. Has anyone used the brand Wet Ones? They come in either a canister or individually wrapped packages.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi there---:) I use Dr. Bronner's pure castile liquid soap in the Peppermint. It is wonderful---smells good and fresh. CLeans very well and fast too. All natural. I do a quick wash of the nasal pillows in the morning--do a nice rinse and let them dry while I am work. Quick, easy and is pretty cheap.

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

streetrodder

Post by streetrodder » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am

I use baby shampoo