Any way to buy a mask w/o a RX?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jweeks

Re: Any way to buy a mask w/o a RX?

Post by jweeks » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:32 pm

debbie28 wrote:I was told your prescription for cpap can't expire. I get my masks at http://resmedswiftfx.com. But they only carry resmedswiftfx masks. They were very helpful and got my rx for me. No problem. If you have a rx it doesn't expire. I was told the docs just tell you that so you continue to come see them. But I could be wrong.
Debbie,

After looking at their site, I don't think I would give any personal info or credit card info to that site. They don't have any contact information, postal address, phone numbers, or company names anywhere on the site. Their internet registration is kept private. And their prices are about double what the going rate is for the stuff that they carry. I'd be wary of ordering anything from them.

It is possible that this site is related to Sallberg Medical. In looking at the Sallberg web site, they have an address in the very city where I live. In fact, their address is less than 600 feet from my house in a residential area, just across the highway from me. Even though I can see them from my deck, I still don't trust any firm that operates under a dozen different names with no clear identity. If they are afraid to tell you who they are, then I have to assume they are hiding for a reason.

-john-

kempo

Post by kempo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:28 pm

jweeks wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:I cannot imagine a doctor who requires an appointment just to renew a mask prescription.
Call the office, and KEEP CALLING. I'm betting you will get your RX --just to get you to leave them alone.
Hi,

Just for fun, I stopped in at the clinic today. They are part of a fairly large hospital system, and they have always provided me top notch care. They said that the State of MN Board of Medical Practices used to allow them to give out 3 year prescriptions, but that was changed last year to where they can only issue 1 year prescriptions. They also said that the BMP does not allow them to write any prescriptions without an exam and consultation. I guess this is part of the fun of living in the state where everything is illegal, and I certainly wouldn't expect my doctor to risk her license over this.

Someone suggested Amazon, but in my searching, it looks like Amazon doesn't sell masks as of a few weeks ago. They do have 3rd party vendors, but they appear to dot-com firms that now require a prescription.

Two people PM'ed me who had the mask that I was looking for in new sealed packages. I guess I am now a "black market CPAP'er", and I'll be running with my illicit mask here in a few days. A good night of sleep is worth taking the risk of a little jail time.

-john-
Just remember November 2 you can vote the scoundrels who are in office, OUT!

debbie23

Post by debbie23 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:41 pm

I appreciate your concern but I've received exactly what I ordered in only a few days. More importantly I called them and they were quick to help me with suggestions and seemed very knowledgeable. I'm always looking for a deal though. Do you know where I can find the swift masks cheaper? They all seem to be the same price.

msla

Post by msla » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:28 pm

How about going to cpap.com and buying replacement parts for the mask you are already using? I think that is possible without a perscription. It might look like that Cadillac from Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4pAwosnIQE

Rolf

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:44 pm

msla wrote:How about going to cpap.com and buying replacement parts for the mask you are already using? I think that is possible without a perscription. It might look like that Cadillac from Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4pAwosnIQE

Rolf
Rolf,

I have been buying parts for the Swift LT. The issue that I have run into is that I have somewhat slotted nares, and I no longer can seem to prevent leaks. If the mask tips even a little from the perfect angle, I lose the seal. The issues has gotten progressively worse to the point where I feel skunky from time to time. The issues are two fold. First, the back of my head is flat, so I cannot get the head gear to stay in one place. Second, as soon as the pivot gets the least bit worn out, it will not stay at the proper angle.

I'd like to try a few other masks and see what I can come up with. The FX and the Opus 360 did not work out for me. I tried a number of full face masks, and two different hybrids. That leaves me to try a few nasal masks. That is why I was looking for a Mirage Softgel -- it is the nasal mask that won the recent product challenge. Given that I don't have insurance, I really don't want to pay $450 at the clinic for getting my data downloaded and a consultation just to get permission to buy a new mask. If I cannot solve this, then I will pay the money, but I don't want to pay until I have exhausted what I can do to get the leaks fully under control.

-john-

msla

Post by msla » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:18 pm

John,

What I was thinking was how about buying the replacement parts for the mask you want and assembling it yourself and I did not say this clearly.

If you are near one of the bordering states, you might consider visiting them if they have the ability to issue perscriptions for PAP and supplies that only expire when the person does.

Rolf

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:16 pm

I receive Womanwithin catalogs and have noticed that one catalog had cpap masks listed. No mention of a script. Might want to check their website out (I didn't). Don't know how big their selection, etc. is.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.