why would a doctor not want to prescribe an auto cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jmcanzo

Re: why would a doctor not want to prescribe an auto cpap?

Post by jmcanzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 am

You would that the APAP would be standard. My pressure was prescribed at 9. With my auto I know that my pressure average is 12.5. My AHI's average less then 5 nightly. If I was stuck at 9 I am sure it would be much higher. I also wonder how compliant I would have been. Since it is auto adjusting I feel I received better therapy. I have had my machine 183 nights and have been 100% compliant. I feel so much better I can not even think about not using my machine.

BigNortherner

Post by BigNortherner » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:10 am

Cost would be a legitimate reason, why pay for functionality you don't need? OTOH, flexibility for the longer term of being able to use features might justify the extra cost. (Being clear, though "not want" infers other reasons.)

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:51 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
Junebug999 wrote:I'm trying to think of the reasons why a sleep doc would not want his patient to have an auto cpap?
When he has a financial interest in the on site DME that wants to supply your CPAP machine at lower cost.
While I won't disagree with you that this happens, it should be noted that it is a violation, of sorts, of the doctor's hypocratic oath to "do no harm". In such cased, the doctor is financially harming the patient. Doctors that both prescribe and cpap equipment have a direct conflict of interest. Personally I would not do business with one who is so ethically challenged.

The FIRST question people should ask their doctor is whether they have any financial or other interest in the company that will be supplying their equipment. If they do, then either find another doctor or at least buy your equipment someplace else.
I'm workin' on it.

sandster

Post by sandster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't have any idea why a doctor would rather use a CPAP. It seems to me that the invention of the APAP will at some point make the CPAP obsolete. I think it amy be a lack of comfort on the doctor's part that results in the reluctance to prescribe the APAP. Having had the opportunity to use both a CPAP and an APAP I personally have had more success with the APAP. Because my pressure is so high going to sleep at that level is nearly impossible with the tracitional CPAP. The ability of the APAP to shift pressusre depending on my needs on any given night allows me to get a quality of sleep I never experienced with a CPAP. I have a great sleep doctor and my DME provider is actually a place that specializes exclusively in sleep disorder resolution. The DME acutallly provides a personal clinician that became my primary contact and she has thus far been nothing short of amazing. It has been all about what I want and what they can do to help me achieve my ultimate goal of getting a good night's sleep consistently. I amy sound like a commerical but my life has improved 100% with my APAP and a mask that works for me. I am so grateful that I live in an area where there is a lot of cutting edge tehconlogy research gonig on. I would be getting a second opinion too. As folks with sleep apnea at whatever level we need the best and most appropriate care available.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:34 pm

Sandster, I'm so glad you're having a good experience with cpap therapy, but I'd be interested in some of your history. I notice your apap is set at 5-15cms which is a pretty wide range. What was your titration? Do you have software to monitor your therapy, AHI, Leak Rate, 90%Pressure,etc. Do you sleep a full night undisturbed? Your input will be very helpful. Thanks for your uplifting post.

Junebug, I heard Fran Drescher(The Nanny) once say that we have to stop being "patients" and become "medical consumers"! Education is Power!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:26 pm

LinkC wrote:
(I have a question for those who think their Dr's decisions are profit-driven and/or are in cahoots with a DME. Why are they still your Dr and/or DME?)
He is no longer my doctor.

Junebug999

Post by Junebug999 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 pm

made an airhead remark i decided to delete...
Last edited by Junebug999 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junebug999

Post by Junebug999 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:13 pm

you know you are right, we do need a cpap users bill of rights.....