Marks on the Face

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sheriff Buford

Marks on the Face

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:59 am

I have sorted thru 16 pages and could not find my topic... so here goes. When I wake up, I have mask marks on my face. What do you folks use to either prevent the marks or address them? My mask is not real tight.

Thanks, Sheriff

Emilia

Re: Marks on the Face

Post by Emilia » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:02 am

There are a number of places that sell soft, pads for the headgear. Try http://www.padacheek.com/ If you know someone who is handy with sewing, they would be easy enough to make.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Until ypu get some padding, wrap some folded facial tissues around the straps that leave marks.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT

Post by Big Daddy RRT,RPSGT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:21 pm

REMZZZs cloth liners, I make my own.

I am on a life quest for the perfect night's sleep...Keep trying...Good sleep can blow!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:I have sorted thru 16 pages and could not find my topic... so here goes. When I wake up, I have mask marks on my face. What do you folks use to either prevent the marks or address them? My mask is not real tight.

Thanks, Sheriff
Foundation makeup if I have an early morning meeting.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

JaVelin

Post by JaVelin » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:21 pm

I get them but i'm not concerned... if someone points it out I tell them I fell asleep on the bar-b-que or something... it's none of their business anyway. but I found out what I was doing to cause it which might be of interest to you. When I sleep I am rubbing my face along the pillow which tightens everything up ... i'm not sure if I always did this or not... but this is what causes my mask to tighten so much.

Foundation makeup... boy that would mak me popular at work

Tired Linda

Post by Tired Linda » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:25 pm

I bought some fleece on sale and made my own strap covers. I also found a hot shower helps a lot with the marks.
L
"There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full."--Henry Kissinger

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:I have sorted thru 16 pages and could not find my topic... so here goes. When I wake up, I have mask marks on my face. What do you folks use to either prevent the marks or address them? My mask is not real tight.

Thanks, Sheriff

I use a cosmetic buffing pad, which I wrap with a tissue. I replace the tissue every couple of days and eventually toss the pad and start with a new one. They're cheap, and there is nothing to wash that way.

I make several of these. I insert one under each strap. It actually improves the fit for me because the bulk of the padding pushes the strap away from my face a little. I put another pair of them under the forehead support.

Very comfortable, very cheap, and you can have them tonight. They work great for comfort, preventing red marks on your face, and making the mask fit better, at least for me.

msla

Post by msla » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:01 pm

I just let the beard grow. About 3/8 in long hides all the marks. I realize that his might not work for everyone

ResMed S9 Auto set/Heated humidifier/AirFit N30i
diagnosed and began CPAP treatment 2003.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I use padacheeks for the straps on my FFM, but I still get cushion marks with the mask as loose as possible for preventing leaks. Your Total face mask probably does not give you strap marks. The best thing I've found for the cushion marks is to apply very hot water on a wash cloth to my face repeatedly, about 10-15 times, slowly pulling the skin outward from my nose each time. Still takes about an hour for the marks to disappear, but this is a great improvement from the 3 hours it takes without any effort to "fix" the problem. I tried blue ice packs for awhile, but did not get the same result.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm

I eliminated the cushion marks with a T-shirt face gasket. When I take off my mask, you cannot even tell that I had it on all night.

Shellie_p

Post by Shellie_p » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:14 pm

my mask came with fleece covers that do a pretty good job,its the swift LT for her.

But my chin strap sometimes leaves marks. I find that using a really large washcloth in the hottest water you can stand and letting it sit on my face till it cools, really diminishes the marks fast.. plus the steam/heat opens your pores so I pair it with a good face wash first, the heat/steam treatment then my clindagel (sp?) afterwards. (perscription for acne)..

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:18 pm

The way I see it you have two choices:
1. Ductape and WD40, or
2. Turn the mask around.

Seriously? Try another mask that you don't have to reef down and is softer.
If the marks are from the straps try using strap pads.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:42 pm

--Is this the place to put the panyliners?

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:46 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:--Is this the place to put the panyliners?
OMG, another new hosehead gadget...this one might take the prize for most unusual use of a product

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.