Tossing and turning - is it ok?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Prevail

Tossing and turning - is it ok?

Post by Prevail » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 am

I've been using CPAP for about a month and a half now. I don't have any software for my machine, but I used a camera to film myself sleeping at night. What I found is that I don't snore anymore, there were no mouth leaks but I still toss and turn or readjust my position a couple times an hour. This is what I suspected because I am actually conscious and remember some of the times when I have to readjust.

The machine tells me that my average AHI for the past 7 days is 1.3 so according to it, I am doing fine. Is it normal to be tossing and turning? Do people toss and turn in the deeper stages of sleep?

[edit] Oh yeah, I still feel tired and yawn a lot during the day too.

Prevail

Julie

Re: Tossing and turning - is it ok?

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:39 am

Lots of people toss and turn, so unless it's causing you a problem it shouldn't matter to anything. Maybe you need a more comfortable bed? What would concern me is not feeling good after sleeping. You said you didn't see mouth leaks on the video, but would you if they were very small? And how do you know if your mask is leaking or not unless you're using the software? Because if you do use it, it should tell you what's happening all night, but if you don't have it, consider getting it.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:36 am

I can tell you that as the caregiver and observer of my husband's therapy, when he was tossing and turning, it's because his mask was leaking A LOT. This was also confirmed by the software. I noted he was having semi-arousals as well. Now that we have the mask properly adjusted, the correct pressure, and the right bed pillow his sleep is much more restful and his leak line is good. For me the software was essential and I still check the data every day.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

roster

Post by roster » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 am

You need to try to figure out what you are moving in the bed so often. It could be poor CPAP therapy. You should also think about whether you might have restless legs syndrome.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Prevail

Post by Prevail » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Thank you for the feed back. I would love to get the software but unfortunately, I don't make enough money to even pay rent and shipping from the CPAP.com company costs about $75. Does anybody know of an option where I can purchase it and download it?

For now, I'm going to try taping my mouth closed to check if there are small mouth leaks.

As for restless leg syndrome, I did get it about once a month before CPAP therapy. I know what it feels like and I haven't felt it since I started using CPAP.

That leaves the mask leaks. Occasionally, I do wake up and notice a little leak from my mask. This seems to happen when I roll over on my side and strap on my pillow loses tension because it is held between the pillow and the side of my face. It doesn't happen every time though. Can anybody advise on how to properly adjust my Swift FX mask? I watched the video on how to put it on and I make sure it's not too tight, but tight enough to form a seal.

Prevail

dave21

Post by dave21 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:24 pm

RLS is a definite cause of turning in bed. Actually I did video myself about 4 years ago whilst on CPAP when I had my S8. I did toss and turn a lot in bed, but I do suffer from RLS.

The other thing that can cause you to toss and turn are things like mask leaks, or even if your mask is pressing too hard into your face. Likewise if you're body is aching from laying awkward or on one side for too long. Another reason can be because you're hitting into dreams or suffer from some other sleep based disorder.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you're kicking someone else out of bed, or falling out of bed yourself .

Thanks
Dave