Syetem One Auto versus Resmed S8 or S9 Auto

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
barry15

Syetem One Auto versus Resmed S8 or S9 Auto

Post by barry15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:30 pm

I haven't been here for a while; been traveling a lot. I use a Respironics System One Auto, and I like it except for one "feature". In order to distinguish between an obstructive apnea and a "clear airway" apnea, the machine puts out what they call a "pressure pulse" (I call it a "puff of air") after six seconds of not taking a breath. It usually doesn't bother me, but sometimes when I am falling asleep, I stop breathing for 6 or 7 seconds (my sleep doctor says this is completely normal and nothing to worry about), and the puff of air wakes me, just as I am drifting off. I find it annoying when that happens.

I talked to the Respironics rep, and, after checking with Respironics, he confirmed that this is normal operation and there is no way to override or change it. He also very generously said he would work with me, the doctor's office, and the DME provider to exchange the machine for another one, even if it was a Resmed machine. I appreciate that, and we are going to pursue that path.

So, I find myself researching the options. I know I want an auto machine, and I know I want to try one of the newer Resmed models, either the S8 or the S9. The S9 is newer, of course, and it also appears to be smaller and lighter weight, and that would be great. My only reservation about the S9 is that it seems to have a similar feature to the "pressure pulse" that my System One has. Resmed calls it a "forced oscillation technique" (FOT), but it isn't clear just how it operates. It seems to do the same thing - determine whether it is an obstructive or clear airway apnea. That makes me wonder if I would have the same problem with the S9 that I have with the System One.

Does anyone here know what I am talking about and have any information that would be helpful for me? I like the S9 Autoset, but I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. Am I likely to have the same problem with the S9? It appears that the older model, the S8 Austoset II, doesn't have this "feature", so maybe it is a safer bet to switch to that one.

If you don't know what I am talking about, you could try this experiment - Just hold your breath for ten or fifteen seconds, and see if you can detect any kind of "pressure pulse" or puff of air. With my System One, it comes after 6 seconds, and is fairly noticeable. I would appreciate it if someone who uses the S9 Autoset would try this and let me know if they can detect anything while holding their breath.

Any other advice about choosing between the S8 and the S9? Any information or opinions appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Barry

DoriC

Re: Syetem One Auto versus Resmed S8 or S9 Auto

Post by DoriC » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:33 pm

viewtopic/t55427/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54 ... fs#p512914

Hi Barry, elena88 talks about this feature that disturbed her too. Hope that helps.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

elena88

Post by elena88 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:07 pm

thanks Dori!

yes, that pressure pulse drove me insane, and that is why I traded mine in on the s nine.

People who are shallow breathers or have long slow exhales will not be happy with the system one a flex auto..
other than that, and the tone, and the screen, and the weekly ahi average, I loved it actually..

I have not noticed anything like the pressure pulse with the s nine at all, I will experiment with it tonite, but think I would have noticed
it by now..

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:12 pm

I am a shallow breather with low pressure range (6-10) on my new IntelliPAP Auto w/Smartflex. This machine doesn't has anything like what you are describing....... so it is another one to consider. I am super happy with it.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

robmax

Post by robmax » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:45 pm

I had the same problem with the PR1, as well as the fact that it wheezed, and got rid of it. I got the S8 Autoset II about 3 months before the S9 came out, but I love it. No puffing, quiet as can be, and seems to be very responsive and effective.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:05 pm

emelia,
that is a fabulous point to make that your machine does not have a pressure pulse..

it sounds like a winner..

I only know about the s nine, cuz that is whats on my night stand.. Im glad you got a good machine there!

elena

barry15

Post by barry15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks for the input, people. I think I will give the S9 Autoset a try, if I can manage to get my insurance company to go for the exchange, at this point. I have had the System One for ten months, though, and I suspect it is going to be tough. The Respironics rep seemed prepared to throw something into the kitty to make me happy, though, so we will see. My sleep doctor also told me that he would do whatever it takes to get me a machine that works for me, so I think I will have the "medical necessity" card to play. It ought to be interesing.

Barry