S9 clicking noise?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyRae

S9 clicking noise?

Post by SleepyRae » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:06 pm

Ok this is a really minor thing but I'm curious. Slept without or machines last night because we returned masks to DME and are getting new masks tomorrow...

I noticed this little noise, almost like dripping. So I set out to find out what it was. I guess it's the humidifier. The water chamber was removed (I was letting it air dry) and the machine hadn't been on in almost 12 hours. Sure enough, every few seconds there is a little 'click' noise, one from my machine and one from hubby's machine. Obviously when we have the machines on this won't be a problem because we won't be able to hear it...but I was just wondering what it was? Anyone know?

lbw

Re: S9 clicking noise?

Post by lbw » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:21 pm

Sorry have the same machine but never experienced this

gtalexad2001

Post by gtalexad2001 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:15 pm

Did you ever figure out what causes the clicking noise? Mine does it too (Resmed S9 Elite), with the water tank removed and the machine inactive.

PS: I added a climate hose the other day. Didn't notice the clicking before that but it may have been there and I just didn't pay attention.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:45 pm

Could it be an electronic click--i.e. data collection or temperature reading?

I don't have a ResMed, but you can hear a clicking type sound on the videos for the new S9's.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

kempo

Post by kempo » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:16 pm

I have been using an s9 for 5 months. I have used it with and without a humidifier and I have used it with and without a climateline hose and I have never heard a clicking noise coming from this unit. As a matter of fact I can not remember anyone complaining about it on this forum. Have your DME call a Resmed Rep. about clicking sound. That would annoy me.

gtalexad2001

Post by gtalexad2001 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:45 pm

It's not too bad. I don't notice it at night when I use it, only during the day when it is quiet in the room. Sounds somewhat like dripping water that hits a piece of paper.

Initially I thought it my be the smartstart checking if I am breathing into the mask, but it turned smartstart off and it still clicks, with the hose detached and the tank removed. It stops when I unplug the power.

I'll mention it to my DME when I speak with them the next time.

PHILOBETO

Post by PHILOBETO » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 am

SleepyRae wrote:Ok this is a really minor thing but I'm curious. Slept without or machines last night because we returned masks to DME and are getting new masks tomorrow...

I noticed this little noise, almost like dripping. So I set out to find out what it was. I guess it's the humidifier. The water chamber was removed (I was letting it air dry) and the machine hadn't been on in almost 12 hours. Sure enough, every few seconds there is a little 'click' noise, one from my machine and one from hubby's machine. Obviously when we have the machines on this won't be a problem because we won't be able to hear it...but I was just wondering what it was? Anyone know?
I relize this is an older post but I just got this machine and it has the humidifier PLUS these machines have a climate control. The sound you here is the thermostat on the climate control, or, at least, that's what my supplier told me.

BernieRay

Post by BernieRay » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:46 am

Every morning, I hold the main button down until the unit turns off. I've also never heard the clicking. I figure there's no reason to leave it on when I am not in bed.
Ray
Diagnosed in 1997

BanjoPaterson

Post by BanjoPaterson » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 pm

Already posted on this in another topic. Spoke to a resmed technician in Australia and this appears to be a known fault. Happily, they're going to replace my H5i which started developing this annoying habit just today.

I hasten to add that I believe, having read another post, that this only affected a small number of machines.

Mark184

Post by Mark184 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:20 am

Have noticed my unit making this noise-- very slight, but now that I've heard it... well you know.

Any new updates on this, or should I just return the unit to my sleep tech?

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:49 am

Mine does it too, but not all the time. I think I've noticed it once in the 2 weeks I've had it.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Amine

Post by Amine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:51 pm

I have the same issue with this clicking noise.
I returned a 1st unit and then got a new one. same issue !!!
Any solution ? It is really annoying

aldiss1

Post by aldiss1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 pm

I notice the sound all the time... with and without humidifier, with and without water in the humidifier, with and without the climateline hose... my local seller had never heard of this before...
Any solutions out there from the Resmed folks???

CPAP user in Saskatchewan

Post by CPAP user in Saskatchewan » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:06 pm

I have had my Resmed S9 with humidifier for 6 months and notice the sound, too.. almost sounds like dripping water.
Returned it to my vendor and they "could not hear it"..If the humidifier is removed, no sound, so the humidifier is the problem. I assume that it it receiving power even when turned off.... Does anyone have an answer from RESMED ?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 pm

I wonder if it's the sound that heating elements sometimes make when they are undergoing extreme temperature changes.
--Kind of a stress-caused noise--I've heard it from waffle irons and panini grills.
I think the coils are shifting position inside their restraints.
Sort of sounds good, but I'm probably full of crap.