Resmed Not Allowed on cpapauction

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Resmed Not Allowed on cpapauction

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:33 pm

i just removed all ResMed products from my profile--
Take that, you rotten stinkweeds!
Now I gotta look for different mfg's for my hubby--He's about to get his titration-finally!

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm

This is from memory (which "ain't" so good any more) and I think it was late 2006 or early 2007. One of the parts of the power supply didn't fit right. It was an outsourced part, I think the prongs weren't long enough or consistent in length or some such. Whatever, there was a very low risk of fire or whatever. 7 incidents out of some 300,000 sold or similar. Anyway, Resmed recalled a humongous number of S8 units around the world and replaced the entire unit w/a brand new unit. (Interestingly, supposedly ANY of Resmed's precious local DME providers were supposed to handle the Recall whether they sold that unit or not - and MANY of them WOULDN'T even if they were the ones who did sell the unit). I forget too how much Resmed reimbursed their precious local DME providers for handling the Recall but it was extremely generous and still at least one of our local sheisters wouldn't handle the Recall on my unit (which is one reason why I switched local suppliers). Frankly, I admired them for the way they handled this voluntary Recall. Unfortunately, its the LAST thing Resmed has done that has been admirable to my knowledge.

And what they are doing is not illegal - unfortunately. Our precious Supreme Court ruled that manufacturers setting prices under some conditions was perfectly legal. That was a decision that was handed down w/in the last 3-4 years. I've forgotten. (Told you my memory "ain't" so hot any more!)

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Rogue Uvula

Post by Rogue Uvula » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Janknitz wrote: But the acution had a shady side. I think DME's and sleep labs were reselling samples that were given to them free or at low cost by Resmed with the intention to introduce the DME and sleep lab customers to Resmed products. You know this is happening when you see sellers that have hundreds of sales. This is not right. Even though I bought items this way on the auction site (and appreciated it), I think it's ethically wrong on the sellers' part to be selling these samples, and in the end this practice drives up the cost for everybody.
I would offer a different explanation.
Do you really think ResMed would give 100's of "promotional" units to one seller.

Here's my suspicion:

made up numbers, just to paint the scenario

123CPAPSALES.COM buys ResMed CPAPs (with Humidifier) for $375. ResMed's sales price for this unit is $1000, however, 123CPAPSALES.COM can make a decent profit selling this unit for $500. Unfortunately, if ResMed can trace the sales back to 123CPAPSALES.COM they will be cut from ResMed's supply line. So, the CEO of 123CPAPSALES.COM calls his brother-in-law or roommate from college (different last name and out of state) and asks if he would like to make some easy money selling equipment via CPAPauction as "resold new" equipment.
So 123CPAPSALES.COM gets $6000 from the ten units they sold at ResMed's price and an additional $2500 from the 25 units they sold via CPAPauction. $8500 beats $6000.

You have to believe that internet companies (that plan to stay around) don't like ResMed's controlled pricing practice any more than we do. While it is true that they get tremendous profit for every ResMed unit they sell at ResMed's price, they also know that virtually nobody will buy from them if they can walk out of a local DME with the same equipment for the same price!
Sleep well and prosper!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:01 pm

chunkyfrog

GOOOD idea I will remove mine too, I stop advertising Resmed,

kf10

Post by kf10 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:12 pm

This information can go VIRAL on the internet. I don't use twitter or I'll post it out. There is this person who visit a Toronto Movie theater and she believed she might have catch bedbug from it, very quickly it caught alot of attentions.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article ... amble?bn=1

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:40 pm

Emilia wrote:Our host's site has this interesting page on which it shows the trending sales of product by manufacturer and type of machine. It is very interesting to see the stats for the Auto machines : https://www.cpap.com/cpap-user-preference.php
Wow, that was a very interesting page that I had not seen before. Thanks for posting that, Emilia.

Slinky wrote:Unfortunately, its the LAST thing Resmed has done that has been admirable to my knowledge.
Yeah, they've certainly blundered in the PR department lately, haven't they?

I really don't know that anything I do as a consumer would have much of an effect on the company. But I certainly have gotten an extremely sour taste from this about ResMed, and next time I need a machine, if I have a choice between machines, it won't be ResMed, not because I want to punish them, but because I don't want to be stuck with a machine whose replacement parts might be uber-expensive because of the company's predatory policies.

Obviously one lost sale is not going to be noticed by them, but just imagine if thousands and thousands of patients thought along the same lines I'm thinking now--"I don't want to buy ResMed next time because the company is difficult to deal with, and it might put me in a bind some day." If enough people begin to think this way, and it's a reasonable way to think, then it will eventually hurt ResMed.

So for me, the big issue right now is to find a new mask that I can live with. Nothing I've tried except for the one I use now has ever worked for me. I don't want to be in a bind with ResMed anymore, so I'm actively seeking alternates. If you like the Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask and know of another mask by another manufacturer that you also like, please let me know. Maybe it would work for me, too.

allen476

Post by allen476 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:56 pm

Maybe an organized boycott of Resmed. It wouldn't have to be big. Get everyone to write a bad review of their products on prominent CPAP websites. When sales plummet, maybe then they will see the light.

Allen

Rogue Uvula wrote: 123CPAPSALES.COM buys ResMed CPAPs (with Humidifier) for $375. ResMed's sales price for this unit is $1000, however, 123CPAPSALES.COM can make a decent profit selling this unit for $500. Unfortunately, if ResMed can trace the sales back to 123CPAPSALES.COM they will be cut from ResMed's supply line. So, the CEO of 123CPAPSALES.COM calls his brother-in-law or roommate from college (different last name and out of state) and asks if he would like to make some easy money selling equipment via CPAPauction as "resold new" equipment.
So 123CPAPSALES.COM gets $6000 from the ten units they sold at ResMed's price and an additional $2500 from the 25 units they sold via CPAPauction. $8500 beats $6000.

You have to believe that internet companies (that plan to stay around) don't like ResMed's controlled pricing practice any more than we do. While it is true that they get tremendous profit for every ResMed unit they sell at ResMed's price, they also know that virtually nobody will buy from them if they can walk out of a local DME with the same equipment for the same price!

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:08 pm

allen476 wrote:Maybe an organized boycott of Resmed. It wouldn't have to be big. Get everyone to write a bad review of their products on prominent CPAP websites. When sales plummet, maybe then they will see the light.

Allen

I hear what you are saying but I would be concerned that that would hurt cpap.com worse than other vendors who don't have customer comments, and it probably still wouldn't hurt ResMed because cpap.com is just one distributor for them. I don't want to kick cpap.com, who has done everything they can to help us take control of our own therapy.

kempo

Post by kempo » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:20 pm

And the Resmed Slimline hose sucks too. Mine only lasted two weeks. Most people have to tape the connector to the hose because its so flimsy. I now buy hoses made by Respironics. Much better company and better product.

kf10

Post by kf10 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:01 pm

You know what Resmed will do next? Order all internet vendors to sell their products on par with your local DMEs. Just give them an idea to piss-off more people.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:03 pm

kf10 wrote:You know what Resmed will do next? Order all internet vendors to sell their products on par with your local DMEs. Just give them an idea to piss-off more people.
I think they already tried that, or maybe it was Respironics, and they had to back off of it. My memory could be faulty, though.

Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:44 pm

I am not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. My ResMed S9 with heated humidifier and slimline hose is working just fine. Cost of replacement parts has not been a problem because my machines tend to keep working untill they are too old to repair.

Although acording to my sleep doctor I could get by with a straight CPAP I find the APAP with EPR to greatly improve my comfort. Thus I have a bias to pay slightly more for what works.

What I will do better next time is shop around and get a firm agrement on price before ordering. As in the past I will do what I can to have as little as possible to deal with crontrolling and greedy DME's

I have learned that it is not a good idea to get obsessed with a problem and seek revenge. You pay too much for such attitudes that it is not good for your mental health.

jmcd

Post by jmcd » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:50 pm

LoQ wrote:
allen476 wrote:Maybe an organized boycott of Resmed. It wouldn't have to be big. Get everyone to write a bad review of their products on prominent CPAP websites. When sales plummet, maybe then they will see the light.

Allen

I hear what you are saying but I would be concerned that that would hurt cpap.com worse than other vendors who don't have customer comments, and it probably still wouldn't hurt ResMed because cpap.com is just one distributor for them. I don't want to kick cpap.com, who has done everything they can to help us take control of our own therapy.
While it would seem that this will hurt Resmed, I think it hurts cpap.com AND CPAP users. I would hate to think that the reviews are skewed to put the screws to the manufacturer. I relied heavily on the reviews when making decision about what equipment to purchase.

The situation is very frustrating indeed.

That's my blind puppy, Crash in my profile photo.

kf10

Post by kf10 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:46 am

There is more than one companies can make good xpap machines. My titration was done in a sleep lab with a Fisher & Paykel and I found it was very comfortable to breath. There are choices out there.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 am

Yes, well, I've gone from a Resmed S8 VPAP Auto to a PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex and am doing just fine on the S1. I'm getting every bit as good therapy w/the S1 as I was w/the S8 and it was easier using the Auto mode to find the pressure I need w/the S1 because of Respironics' method of Pressure Support on their bi-levels. I never thought it would happen that my Resmed would become a backup/travel PAP to a Respironics PAP but, by george, my Resmed HAS become a backup to my Respironics!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.