Runny nose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
snuginarug

Runny nose

Post by snuginarug » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I am on my third mask. Mirage softgel nasal, size small. This one seems to fit quite well, but my mind hates it. I wake up feeling like I am suffocating after an hour. I have acclimated to my pressure (9) and now feel air hungry at that pressure. I feel like crying, but that would just makes things worse, clog and swell my nasal passages and make breathing through my nose even harder. It seems like my nose runs way too much. I blow my nose before I mask up, but by the time I have my pillow, hose, blanket, etc arranged, my nose is dripping. Just a tiny bit, but enough to make FEELING like I am able to breathe very difficult. Of course, I can breathe. I make myself wait until my breathing is even and do my best to relax. I end up sleeping an hour. An hour in bed, 45 minutes out of bed, repeat several times. That's what my sleep life looks like. I am going to institute a change tonight... instead of going into the living room and doing something innocuous I will stay in bed and read a book.... with the mask on. Get my brain accustomed to the idea that this mask need to stay on ALL NIGHT. Another change... I am switching to unscented glycerin soap to wash my face before bed, instead of this nice smelling "relaxing evening" scent soap. In case the scent is making my nose run. I also put some tissues by my bed so that I don't have to go into the bathroom to blow my nose if needed during the night. I do wish I could find a FF mask that fits. The Mirage quattro small is too small, the medium is too large. Can anyone reccomend a FF mask of a different brand that has quick clips? I don't think I could handle having to precision adjust my mask each and every time I put it on.

I don't exactly feel discouraged, I am sure that eventually this will work out for me. I do feel frustrated to the point of tears. And terribly impatient for this to settle down and work for me. I guess I am looking fro some encouragement, and concrete tips on handling runny nose with nasal mask.

Rogue Uvula

Re: Runny nose

Post by Rogue Uvula » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:22 pm

I think your plans to stop the scented soap and keeping the mask on are good ones.

Other thoughts:
Do you use a hypoallergenic filter? If not, try one.
When you blow your nose, do you use saline solution? For me, this clears my nose well enough to buy me extra time before the problems return.

I'm a noob and so far haven't had significant conflicts between my CPAP and sinuses, but the time will come...so please post whatever you try and how well it works.

Thanks!
Sleep well and prosper!

alnhwrd

Post by alnhwrd » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:49 pm

I second using the ultrafine filters in your machine. I switched to the PR a few weeks ago and was horribly congested the first morning after I tried it without the fine filter. Got some and installed them and it helped loads. I would also suggest lowering your humidity setting. 3 leaves me congested but at 2 my sinuses will actually open up when I put the mask on.

Personally I've never had much luck with a FFM. I just couldn't get used to it. But the Ultra Mirage Full Face has quick clips and a quick connect fitting if that is what you are looking for.

No matter what other changes you make, hang on to that, "I'm going to make it work" attitude, its the best thing you have going for you .

Alan

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:10 pm

snuginarug wrote:Can anyone reccomend a FF mask of a different brand that has quick clips? I don't think I could handle having to precision adjust my mask each and every time I put it on?
Respironics makes a quick clip that can be retrofit on to many masks (not just theirs).

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Respir ... -Clip.html
jeff

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:37 pm

snuginarug wrote: This one seems to fit quite well, but my mind hates it. I wake up feeling like I am suffocating after an hour. I have acclimated to my pressure (9) and now feel air hungry at that pressure.
No it doesn't hate it - it is afraid. When you wake up feeling that way just lift you mask a smidgen and say to your self "see I can breathe, now I am going back to sleep" and lower the mask. Treat your mind like a toddler and help it with its nightmares by giving love.

I had the same thing at the 2 week mark - it lasted for about 3 days and hasn't come back.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Beachmeezer

Post by Beachmeezer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I use saline spray each night before I mask up - it really helps. I don't like the humidifier feature. It makes me feel more stuffy. I usually turn it off or keep it at a 1 max. That said - it's really humid where I live.
Kim

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 pm

snuginarug wrote: . Can anyone reccomend a FF mask of a different brand that has quick clips? I don't think I could handle having to precision adjust my mask each and every time I put it on.
Quattro

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/2511

snuginarug

Post by snuginarug » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Thank you for your replies, each one of you. I appreciate the time you took to read and respond.

I managed to log 5 hours on the hose last night, and 6 more off the hose. I feel like a brand new person after so much struggle and sleep deprivation. The weather is nice too, so that's a bonus.

I figured out a couple of things... It wasn't the runny nose that was really bothering me, it was that I need to exhale a couple of very big deep breaths to get settled. The runny nose just confused the issue. So I tried deliberately mouth breathing a few breaths, to get that big exhale I need. And it worked! I still only slept an hour or two at a time. But that's ok. It'll get better eventually. Before CPAP, the most I ever slept in a row was 4 hours, usually more like 2 or 3. So I gave myself permission to sleep off the hose for a couple of hours, so long as I had the idea that it was just a temporary break. That made sleeping on the hose much easier. I hope that I will be able to sleep longer amounts of time on the hose, as I get adjusted. It really was those first 2 or 3 minutes that were making the whole night a misery.

I now have the problem that sleeping on my side makes my hips ache. I find that the position I want to assume is on my stomach, but that's not really possible with my particular mask. And i know sleeping on your back raises the likelihood of events. So I have to find some way of making side sleeping more comfortable. I am going to try using a body pillow to get myself into a position that is not exactly on my side, but not on my stomach either, something in between. If anyone has advice on making side sleeping more comfortable, I'm all ears!

The good news?
1. My new mask does not leak.
2. My new mask allows easy side sleeping.
3. I discovered and solved one of my major psychological problems with this particular mask.

There's more to work on, but now i feel like I am off to a good start.