CPAP Aromatheraphy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CCDelaney

CPAP Aromatheraphy

Post by CCDelaney » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:07 am

Has anyone used CPAP aromatheraphy? I found it on cpap-supply.com and it sounds intriguing but seems to me this may cause problems with cleaning the tubing/mask. Just wondering if anyone has tried it? How do you like it?

happysleeper

Re: CPAP Aromatheraphy

Post by happysleeper » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 am

Hi CC,

I use it and like it. I use the "Clear" from Pur-Sleep. It's a mixture of peppermint, lime, lavender and sage. I think that it helps to keep my sinuses clear during the night, and so helps keep my AHI a little lower.
http://www.pur-sleep.com/products/prodD ... rch=&page=

It works by passive diffusion: I put a drop of the oil on a piece of cardboard near the air inlet on my CPAP machine. I have a hypo-allergenic filter on my machine, and the scent still makes it through to my nose. I haven't noticed any residue in my humidifier, tube or mask. Here's a picture of it (under passive diffusion).
http://www.pur-sleep.com/content/?id=6

(I have no interest in Pur-sleep.)

~Happy Sleepr

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:22 am

Hi there and welcome
I love pur-sleep, especially spice. I works great, clear is for when you are stuffed up, and it does do a good job . The aromas don't do a thing to your machine, after all they are just odors...albeit nice odors. I bought the trial package, comes with three larger bottles and ten little tubes of different aromas.
cheers
nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Bearcat42

Post by Bearcat42 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Pur-sleep is a very good product and Brett is great to work with. If you ask him he would probably send you a trial sample to try just so you can see if you like his product before purchasing. It in no way effects your machine or hose.

CCDelaney

Post by CCDelaney » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely be giving it a try!

sleepymama

Post by sleepymama » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 pm

do u have to use the diffuser? or can u just use the oils? how does it go through the machine into your mask? i was thinking from what the site says you use the oils in a diffuser which sits beside your machine. why can you use a reg. diffuser then? or reg. oils? anyone know?

~~SleepyMama~~
Diagnosed with OSA July 4/10
Titration Aug. 8/10
Treatment Started Aug. 25/10

Trying to find the right one...mask!

Bearcat42

Post by Bearcat42 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:51 pm

sleepymama wrote:do u have to use the diffuser? or can u just use the oils? how does it go through the machine into your mask? i was thinking from what the site says you use the oils in a diffuser which sits beside your machine. why can you use a reg. diffuser then? or reg. oils? anyone know?
These are "essential oils" and are natural not man made. You never want to use any man made oils with your machine or other equipment. I believe they would have a negative effect on your machine. You simply place 2-3 drops of the fragrance of your choice on a diffuser pad and place the pad in front of the air intake filter on your machine. The pads can be washed and re-used but you should only use one pad for one fragrance unless it is washed before using another.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:53 pm

sleepymama wrote:do u have to use the diffuser? or can u just use the oils? how does it go through the machine into your mask? i was thinking from what the site says you use the oils in a diffuser which sits beside your machine. why can you use a reg. diffuser then? or reg. oils? anyone know?
Two to three drops on either the washable diffuser supplied with porcelain tray or some of the supplied disposable paper diffusers.
I assume the disposable ones are for trying different scents without have to wash the fabric ones. There is a warning not to let the scents come into contact with furniture.

I love the pur-sleep aromatherapy but it can get a little expensive over time. I still use them as a treat every Friday night after a gently chilled bottle of cask conditioned ale before bed

AndrewB

Post by AndrewB » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:54 pm

I've thought about replacing the distilled water with rum . It's mostly sterile.

Probably a bad idea though.

CCDelaney

Post by CCDelaney » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote: I love the pur-sleep aromatherapy but it can get a little expensive over time.
So I'm curious, the starter pack comes with three 5 mL bottles and ten 1 mL bottles. On average, how long would you say a 5mL bottle lasts?
Uncle_Bob wrote: I still use them as a treat every Friday night after a gently chilled bottle of cask conditioned ale before bed
Sounds lovely!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 pm

CCDelaney wrote: So I'm curious, the starter pack comes with three 5 mL bottles and ten 1 mL bottles. On average, how long would you say a 5mL bottle lasts?
Sounds lovely!
I can't say since i've ever used a 5ml bottle every night until empty. But given that the 1ml sample bottles can stretch to 3 nights i would imagine a 5ml bottle could go to 15

All bottles are supplied with plastic seal bags so i don't know if any evaporation takes place or these are just for precaution?

canyongirl

Post by canyongirl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:22 pm

I really enjoy mine. YOu have to find the righ scents that work best for ou, but they are great!

Cyclone99

Post by Cyclone99 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:20 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:
CCDelaney wrote: So I'm curious, the starter pack comes with three 5 mL bottles and ten 1 mL bottles. On average, how long would you say a 5mL bottle lasts?
Sounds lovely!
I can't say since i've ever used a 5ml bottle every night until empty. But given that the 1ml sample bottles can stretch to 3 nights i would imagine a 5ml bottle could go to 15
That seems a bit low. The rule of thumb is 20 drops of liquid per ml, so a 5ml bottle would be 100 drops. Seems like a bottle should last a month or two.

Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:05 pm

If you want to clear up your sinuses you might try a couple of table spoons of distilled vinegar in your humidifier. I have found that this helps with the sinsuses. This is the same stuff you use to clean your hoses and humidifier.

Bearcat42

Post by Bearcat42 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Kevin G. wrote:If you want to clear up your sinuses you might try a couple of table spoons of distilled vinegar in your humidifier. I have found that this helps with the sinsuses. This is the same stuff you use to clean your hoses and humidifier.
Really? You can do that? And what does this do for the smell of the air? I love learning new stuff!