Allergic reaction to ResMed Mirage Quattro mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
One Tired Puppy

Allergic reaction to ResMed Mirage Quattro mask

Post by One Tired Puppy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:04 pm

I have used the Mirage Quattro Pro mask since ay 2007 with no allergies. I bought a new mask last year from DME and it has been giving me a red rash where it contacts face and flakiness over the redness. I found out it is eczema. I have never had eczema before, not even with the other mask. It has just started with the last mask I got.

Is anyone else on here having skin rashes from their masks? Is it just ResMed or are other companies masks also causing rashes. These would be masks that are only a year or so old. Why would the same company selling the same mask have a difference that would cause an allergy in the newer masks, but not the older ones? Are they having the newer ones made in China, maybe?

Are any of the other companies having this same problem, or is it just ResMed?

I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it to continue with cpap if it means I am going to continue to get this rash on my face and scalp. I am seriously considering stopping if I continue to get the rashes. It's not good to have to use cortisome cream a lot as it thins the skin.

I want to know if there are any full face masks that don't cause skin reactions and what company makes them. How can you be sure they haven't given China the business because it's cheaper for them?

I noticed some people from other forums are also having a problem with ResMed.

Anne

I

BlackSpinner

Re: Allergic reaction to ResMed Mirage Quattro mask

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:09 pm

There is no reason to stop cpap because one masks causes you to break out! There are dozens of masks for sale, I am sure you will find one to work for you.
I have a quatrro and it never comes near my skin, I created a liner out of well washed cotton knit fabric. There are commercial products called Remzzz's if this is too daunting a task.

Stopping to use cpap because of a skin rash will off course make you the prettiest corpse on the block.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

One Tired Puppy

Post by One Tired Puppy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:25 pm

BlackSpinner,

Thanks for the info on the cotten knit fabric. I just ordered a month's supply of Zzzz liners so I can use them temporarily until I can find a solution. I cannot afford to buy them monthly and was curious what the material is they are made from. I thought about trying to make some washable liners to cover my skin but needed to know what material they are. You have been helpful. Thanks.

Quitting cpap would be a last resort. I am on a very low income for senior citizen and there is no help with cost. If I can make the liners myself and they work then that should solve the problem. I hope so. I actually like wearing the mask as I like the air, but the itching and the redness and flakiness looks and feels awful.

I am going to look for the cotten knit fabric tomorrow.

Thanks,
Anne
Anne

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:41 pm

Since you're a long-time mask user I'm sure you know about washing and rinsing new masks well before using? And making sure your face is clean? Just trying to help problem-solve.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:32 pm

One Tired Puppy wrote:

Thanks,
Anne
Mine are made off ...cough cough ... an old pair of cotton panties. Well washed Tshirts work too - buy some second hand from the Salvation army and wash well with unscented soap. I just laid the mask on top of the fabric and drew around it and cut it out. Then made a small triangular hole in the centre, tried it on and adjusted the hole until it just fit over my nose and mouth. Once you have a fit you can make a pattern from paper so you can cut out more of them.

The mask burnt my skin like acid the first time I wore it so I went on line to find a solution that I needed immediately and found it here on the board.

Even with my hybrid I have a piece of fabric on the chin flap and one strip across my upper lip.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
One Tired Puppy wrote:

Thanks,
Anne
Mine are made off ...cough cough ... an old pair of cotton panties. Well washed Tshirts work too - buy some second hand from the Salvation army and wash well with unscented soap. I just laid the mask on top of the fabric and drew around it and cut it out. Then made a small triangular hole in the centre, tried it on and adjusted the hole until it just fit over my nose and mouth. Once you have a fit you can make a pattern from paper so you can cut out more of them.

The mask burnt my skin like acid the first time I wore it so I went on line to find a solution that I needed immediately and found it here on the board.

Even with my hybrid I have a piece of fabric on the chin flap and one strip across my upper lip.
Anne! I was thinking of you not more than 2 days ago! It is quite possible that the material used on the mode is different from the one used in the past. Washing and rinsing were not enough for me when I had an allergic reaction to Respionics' seals -- I had to soak the seal in warm soapy water for about 45 minutes. That solved it. And I highly recommend mask liners too.

Blackspinner, you must be an angel in disguise.
I made my mask liners for the UMFF and Froma from cough cough too -- but I never managed liners for the Hybrid -- can you be more specific about size and shape? How do you keep the upper one from flapping all over the place, and from bothering the air flow to the nasal pillows? I would love so much to have the comforting touch of cotton against my face again!

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:43 am

Me too "cough cough" and now I've used an old white cotton t-shirt to fit over my quattro mask. I just cut 18 of them out yesterday and put them in a wash bag and chucked them in the machine, now I'm good to go for awhile. I only use one for two days and then wash. I also cut mine to fit over the head piece, that way I don't get marks on my forehead. It also works if I have to take the mask off during the night and it gets lost in the bedcovers. If its attached to my head piece, its there on my mask when I come back to bed, just have to smooth it over the mask. I use the same batch for a couple of months and then toss once they start to get stretched out. I've been usuing my Swift Lt for just over a month, but my allergies have got the better of me and I've switched back to my quattro, hench the snip and sew session yesterday.
Good luck
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Unhappy Cpapper

Post by Unhappy Cpapper » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:09 pm

I purchased this mask just over a week ago. Now my upper lip is swollen with a red rash that looks like broken capillaries that extend upwards. I'm just wondering if the mask is too large, as it would rub against my upper lip as I slept. Now I have to go back to my even crappier cpap mask. I am not amused.

mdintx

Post by mdintx » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:51 am

PJ the DJ

Post by PJ the DJ » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 am

I have the padacheek mask liner and it helps, but when I want to wash the liner and let it rest I use the Remzzzs liners. Both options really do protect my sensitive skin.

I took a Remzzs and traced it on cardboard. I then traced the pattern on one of my husband's old cotton T-shirts, and voila, now I have a bunk more sturdy mask liners. It's nice to have some variety and choice. Sometimes I am super hot and want the cool, ethereal remzzzs, another night I am chilly and the padacheek or my homemade ones fit the bill. Whatever works.
To sleep, perchance to dream. —Hamlet

xyz

Post by xyz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm

1tp:
> I have used the Mirage Quattro Pro mask since May 2007 with no allergies.
> I bought a new mask last year from DME and it has been giving me a red rash

I use a Quattro, I have severe skin allergies, and I've had no face problem with the mask.
What makes diagnosis difficult is that everyone is different.

> Are they having the newer ones made in China

I just checked a replacement cushion package. It says made in Australia.
Maybe they're 180 degrees out of phase. :)

> I am beginning to wonder if it is worth it to continue with cpap

It's very important to maintain xpap therapy.

> How can you be sure they haven't given China the business

On the product info sheet that's inside the package, it says where it's made.
Towards the bottom on the right. "Made in Australia".

> on my face and scalp

Note that the Resmed instructions say to wash the headgear before using. See info about soap below.

Unfortunately, there are many other possibilities.
Figuring it out can be difficult, but it's worth it.

Anyone can become allergic to pretty much anything at anytime.

My allergist switched me to all Free & Clear products. Reduced my problems 80% at least. He likes psico products. <www.psico.com>

I use the Liquid Cleanser (hand soap), shampoo, Cleansing Bar (bath/shower soap) and skin cream. You don't have to get them from the psico website, there are better prices on the internet. I usually use natallergy.com. Click on Personal Care -> Sensitive Skin.

For the washing machine we use All Free & Clear. For washing dishes by hand we use 7th Generation Natural Dish Liquid Free & Clear. For the dishwasher 7th Generation Automatic Dishwasher Gel lemon. That's because their F&C dishwasher soap only comes in a powder, and that scars the glasses and dishes.

There is another whole, separate, parallel issue of cleaning your gear. You could have mildew/mold/whatever buildup in your hose or humidifier, or on the mask, that you're reacting to.

I rinse my mask (both the plastic shell and the cushion removed from the shell) daily under running water. Each week I wash them with 7th Gen dish soap. Wash the headgear with this soap before initial use.

For the hose and the humidifier, rinse/soak with white vinegar, rinse well, then wash with 7th Gen dish soap. Rinse well with running water.

On the machine, replace the cotton (?) filter once or twice a month. Rinse the foam filter well under running water weekly, and wash it with 7th Gen monthly. Let it dry thoroughly before using.

We who are severely allergic don't need those with the skin of an alligator to tell us that you have never ever washed your gear in the 127 years that you have had it. You are not representative of the allergic. And you don't know how good you have it.

yorkiemum01

Post by yorkiemum01 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:22 pm

oh wow..one tired Pup. You just described exactly what i've been dealing with. The new mask I purchased in July has caused me much grief, with my
face purely RAW in the area of contact, flaking and in need of a stat dermotology appt. Contact dermatitis was the diagnosis..and a costly RX to go with it, but with no relief, as I require this mask every night. Working in the medical field, its not a pleasant sight to see a clinician coming at you with a fire red rash on their face, no doubt. Glad I came back to the forum for the tips. Thanks gang.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:27 am

You can also try a thin coat of Milk of Magnesia on the skin. I smear some mom on and tissue off the excess. It leaves a nice barrier between the mask and skin that washes off easily in the morning. The generic mom works fine and is cheaper.

Brenda

ionamorgana

Post by ionamorgana » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:16 am

I have been having the SAME exact problem.. my solution.. Mupirocin Ointment Cream and Hydrocortizone cream. Cover the effected area before you put your mask on at night. Watch using lotions and stuff on your face before you sleep.. these can cause the skin to become worse where the mask sits because it can't breathe.

BoomersRock

Brand of Milk of Magnesia

Post by BoomersRock » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:00 pm

I use mouth tape. It appears that and the chinstrap is the only way to keep area from coming through my mouth. I bought a generic brand of MoM and it worked fine. Then I purchased some Phillips brand and it was too thin. I purchased another generic brand from Walmart and that seems to have the same issue. I can't remember the first generic brand I purchased.

Any ideas on which brand? Thanks