Philips Respironics One NOISY!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
newarcher

Philips Respironics One NOISY!

Post by newarcher » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I switched on Friday from an old Polaris model CPAP machine to a Respironics One CPAP machine.

My old Polaris machine has a consistent sound (within a tiny variance) whether I am breathing in or out. In other words, constant white noise.

My new machine is the bomb except for one thing...the noise. The machine basically makes no noise (or very little) when exhaling but when inhaling it sounds like the fan on a car starting up. No noise......swwooooooooshhhhhh.....no noise......swoooooossssssshhhhh. It is very very irritating to say the least. We got the CPAP largely because I was snoring and keeping my wife awake. Now, it almost seems like the machine is snoring...it is a mechanical snoring. I can't deal with this.....this is annoying me.

Is this the way all of them do or is this just mine?

Thanks,
New

elena88

Re: Philips Respironics One NOISY!

Post by elena88 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:28 pm

I had a PR one auto, I thought it was very quiet except for a high pitched tone..
I think I did notice that it made more noise when I first went to sleep, if I was breathing deeply
I could hear a bit more sound, then it would go away..

You might want to take it back to where you got it, and compare it with another machine..
If its driving you nuts, get a different machine.. its not worth being aggravated..

I took mine back, and everyone could hear the tone, just barely, but they could hear it so I got a new machine..

(make sure you get it in before thirty days)

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:34 pm

3 months ago I was a user of PR S1.

yes, this device became noisier after more than 300-400 hours of use (i have tested 2 in 5 months)
The other cause of noisy CPAP is dirty filter

Since yours is new, I think this might be an exception. however please try these first before you throw this back to your DME:

1. place the device as far away and at a place lower
2. place this on top of a rubbery thing, like mouse pad or rubber slab
3. unplug the humidifier during this summer, you do not need it anyway. In my experience, the humidifier increase the noise, espciallly if it is empty or the water level is low
4. place the cpap in an open cupboard,the noise will be absorbed by surrounding wood

or try using ear plug or headphone or better during the coming fall and winter run a room humidifier which will mask the noise of your PR S1

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Have you tried turning off the c-flex/a-flex? Gets much quieter, though of course if you need the flex features....

Hawk256

Post by Hawk256 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm

newarcher wrote:Hi all,

I switched on Friday from an old Polaris model CPAP machine to a Respironics One CPAP machine.

My old Polaris machine has a consistent sound (within a tiny variance) whether I am breathing in or out. In other words, constant white noise.

My new machine is the bomb except for one thing...the noise. The machine basically makes no noise (or very little) when exhaling but when inhaling it sounds like the fan on a car starting up. No noise......swwooooooooshhhhhh.....no noise......swoooooossssssshhhhh. It is very very irritating to say the least. We got the CPAP largely because I was snoring and keeping my wife awake. Now, it almost seems like the machine is snoring...it is a mechanical snoring. I can't deal with this.....this is annoying me.

Is this the way all of them do or is this just mine?

Thanks,
New
I have the Respironics One Auto machine and do not have a noise issue. The only noises I notice on inhale actually come from the mask. Some masks are louder than others. I currently use the Swift FX and it is quieter than the masks it replaced.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Well, I have sound that comes from the mask and the machine....kind of odd.

The problem comes when I inhale and that is when the machine goes from very quiet to sounding like I am on a ventilator at the hospital. I finally figured out what the sound is...a ventilator.

I tried a couple of different masks but the sound of rushing wind every time I inhale is just too much to take.

I read a review which mentioned the machine and that Bose was working with Respironics to quieten it. I think it may have something to do with a very very tiny filter whereas my old polaris had one that was almost the size of a panty liner! This one is about the size of one of the joints on your finger and I think the draw of air while inhaling is rushing through it.

Thanks,
New

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:35 pm

Julie wrote:Have you tried turning off the c-flex/a-flex? Gets much quieter, though of course if you need the flex features....
Yes, turning off the flex option will help. Also mentioned is the mask noise. Some masks seem to make more noise than others too. You can also hear the air rushing thru the hose. This maybe even more so if the machine is too quiet and you are accustomed to other noises.

Leaks will also increase noise.

Last edited by GumbyCT on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeganCPAP31Jan2007;AHI<0.5
I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:46 pm

My machine is very quiet, but I do hear the sound you are describing in the mask, particularly masks like the FX and the LT which have a short tube of their own. When I was using a Mirage Micro, I couldn't tell the machine was even on by listening--but the Micro and my nose did not get along!

I'm test driving some items from Padacheek that really dampen the noise from the LT and the FX. One is a short tube hose cover, and she also made some covers for the nasal pillows themselves to reduce rainout. With both of those covers (I have a cover for my main hose already) the sound is very muted. If the naked hose is lying on my pillow it's much louder. And ear plugs MAGNIFY the sound because it's really conducted sound in my head.

Also, as a previous poster noted, the sound is loudest at night. I can barely hear it in the morning.

BTW, Resmed claims that it dampens this "conducted noise" in their advertising, but I've seen Resmed users complain as well.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

sleepyb

Post by sleepyb » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:02 pm

That's good news about padacheek coming out with nose pillow and small hose coverings. with winter only a month or so away I was trying to figure out what to do about rainout in the nose pillows. And if it quiets things down, I'm there

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:51 am

What pressures are you all running at?

I'm wondering if New Archer is having noise problems because he is at a higher pressure.
jeff

Beth M

Post by Beth M » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:01 am

I have the same problem with the noise, it drives me crazy! It sounds just like a life support respirator. When I had my sleep studies there was nowhere near the noise. I could actually hear myself breathing, not the noise of inhaling, exhaling. I wondered too if it was the pressure. Mine is set at 17 so quite high. I'm sure we hardly got to that pressure during my sleep study. I used the same mask(s) so it must be either the pressure or the machine. I look forward to hearing whether or not this can be resolved!

Sleeping better...but still annoyed at that noise!
Beth

newarcher

Post by newarcher » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:32 am

Yep Beth, that's it. I just need that little accordian tube thing to go up and down as I breathe and it would be just like at the hospital.

I checked it last night and put the mask on....there's the normal mask sounds which I am used to from the vent port. But the lionshare of the noise is coming from that little tiny filter.

It makes sense...if you open your mouth all the way and take a deep breath it makes a little noise. If you purse your lips like you are whistling and take the same breath in, you get a lot of noise. That's the same issue with the machine. It would be the best machine out there but that little tiny filter just ruins it.

By the way, I am only on a 7 setting so I could only imagine what this would be like if I were on a high pressure.

Thanks for all the help.

New

puffer

Post by puffer » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Hi

Sneaking in here a bit, but on the subject of noise, does anybody notice that the mask noise increases when you disconnect the humidifier?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Sneaking in here a bit, but on the subject of noise, does anybody notice that the mask noise increases when you disconnect the humidifier?
Definitely. I had to do about 1 month of home titration and during home titration Kaiser does not provide a humidifier. It was MUCH noisier than it was with the humidifier. The titration machine I used was exactly the same as my regular machine, and it was brand new. When I got my machine and hooked up the humidifier, I couldn't believe the difference. Very quiet. The only noise I can discern is the mask noise--my pressures go up to 15.

Some poeple have complained of a high pitched "beep" on exhalation. I've heard it once or twice--only using the FX mask. I use the FX almost every night (sometimes I use the LT) and have only heard it a few times.

I really think this is a very quiet machine.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

linda12345

Post by linda12345 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:32 am

I am having the same problem with the noise and it is getting worse the longer I have this machine. Julie, you mentioned turning off the c-flex. How do I turn it off? How do I know if I need a c-flex? I do not know what it does?

Linda