Swift LT for her question.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hospiceangel

Swift LT for her question.

Post by Hospiceangel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 am

Hi,
I've been trying to get used to the nasal pillows. My Wonderful DME left me the mask sealed in a bag, for me to p/u.
I tried the medium pillows. It felt like a Cat 5 hurricane in my nose. I tried the small pillows last night unhooked from the machine, while watching TV for an hour, then went to bed. No luck! within about 15 minutes I felt like I was bucking the machine and mouth breathing to catch up. My pressure is low at 7. I ripped it off and back on went the nose mask. I would really like to be able to use this mask. Any suggestions?
Shar:)
ps the only pillows left are xsmall.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow M Radmacher
It is better, to believe in something passionately even if it is wrong, than to believe in nothing at all C Hoong

Nord

Re: Swift LT for her question.

Post by Nord » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am

Nasal pillows take some time to get used to... there is more "direct" contact with the pressure from your machine since it is injected into your nose as opposed to overall pressure felt when using your nasal mask.

As well... the smaller the pillow with the same pressure.. the air will rush faster through the smaller opening. Sizing is about proper fit... resting on your nares as opposed to inserted into. Maybe try "ramping" of 1 or 2 to help with the rush.

If you can get your nostrils to toughen up... you will appreciate some of the advantages of nasal pillows. It took me a couple of weeks of not liking the feeling before it felt OK... then it began to work better than other styles.

It's just like everything else in CPAP... takes persistence and time...

Nord

lktnky

Post by lktnky » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am

When you chose the pillow you thought would work for you, did it look like the picture in the literature or did it fit inside your nostril?
The pillow should sit comfortably up against your nose, not in it. If you need to tighten up the back straps a bit (not too snug), that might help.
What's your pressure?
I've successfully used the Swift LT and had zero leaks. You just need to tweak it ~ rotate the pillow until the angle is correct, etc.
Best time to try to fiddle with a new mask is when you're rested. Don't forget to lay in bed so you get the right conditions.

Good luck!
LKTNKY

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:47 am

I think the pillows are collapsing so I'm going to try the "o" rings that were in another post.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow M Radmacher
It is better, to believe in something passionately even if it is wrong, than to believe in nothing at all C Hoong

lktnky

Post by lktnky » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:05 pm

Hospiceangel wrote:I think the pillows are collapsing so I'm going to try the "o" rings that were in another post.
Pillows shouldn't collapse. Either they're too tight or too old.
The mask should 'float' on your face. The air pressure from the machine is what keeps the pillows in place.

zzzspleez

Post by zzzspleez » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:11 pm

These are the ones that I am using. They don't really "float" on my face. They are actually crammed up in my nose. Maybe THIS is my problem!!! Thanks for the info... will "fiddle" with the pillows tonight and try to catch me some zzzzs!

Penn

PetrusKy

Post by PetrusKy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:13 pm

lktnky wrote:I've successfully used the Swift LT and had zero leaks. You just need to tweak it ~ rotate the pillow until the angle is correct, etc.
Word.

HA, the LT is my go to mask and I love it. If you can feel the air, to me that means it's not fitting right. Move it around, adjust the straps, twist the entry angle of each side of the pillow independently. Another thing, give the short hose plenty of slack when attaching to the head clip. When the planets all align and the thing fits, it's a beautiful thing.

I've used the same pillow for a couple of months now with no "collapsing". You shouldn't need the O ring yet.

Good luck.

YawnGirl

Post by YawnGirl » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm

The Swift LT for her is the first and only mask I have ever used and I love it! I too struggled at first, but you will with any mask. Here are some things I did to help:

1. Use a minuscule amount of lanolin lotion around your nostrils, this will help the seal.

2. If you have enough hair, pull it out and over the back strap of the mask to keep it in place, you can were the mask loose this way.

3. I start my air then snap my small hose when it seals best.

4. Get something stretchy, like ace bandage or old pantyhose and tie under your chin around the top of your head to keep your mouth closed.

My experience is, the tighter the mask, the more likely the seal to be broken by movement.

Good Luck!

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:33 pm

The pillows do NOT belong IN your nose--they are meant to sit lightly against them.

Loosen all the straps. Hold the pillows up to your nose, touching but NOT in your nostrils. Then turn on the machine so that the pillows inflate. Now pull the headgear over your head, and tighten the headgear only enough to stop any leaking. If the headgear has to be pretty tight to stop leaking, or cannot stop the leaking, try a different size of nasal pillow.

You can also see a slide show fitting guide at http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift ... s&sec=true Including a trouble shooting guide at the end of the slide show.

Some people find that putting a little bit of lanisoh cream or KY jelly on your nostirls helps seal the pillows to your nose--but this has never worked for me, personally (makes them slide around).

This is the basic fitting. Try again. I don't even feel the airflow when they are properly adjusted. Once you get this down, you may have problems with the pillows leaking when you move around--ask again as there are some simple fixes for that.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 am

Thank you all for all the help.
I slept last night all night with the swift on.with the extra small pillows I woke up long enough to adjust the pillows at least twice last night, and the strap was half off this morning but I slept all night!!! yea!!!!!

I don't know whether I should tell you,
I'm sooo embarassed,
I don't think I will,
ok what the heck, you guys know me now well sort-of,
oh okay.....when I changed out the pillows to the small one I put them in BACKWARDS. There I said it. I can't believe I did it but I did.
Thanks for the link to the video or I wouldn't have realized it. It really helped.
I don't know how I'd survive without this place.
Shar

PetrusKy

Post by PetrusKy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:49 am

Well then it's a good thing you haven't installed the O rings around your downward-pointing pillows now, isn't it? That sucker woul have blasted you into space!

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Haha hahaha hahaha hah
Now there's a picture I'm gonna have a hard time getting out of my head!!!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Ha, can't tell you how often I've put those suckers in backwards even though I KNOW how to put them in correctly. I have my little side adjustments marked so that everything is perfect after cleaning, so I know instantly when the pillows don't feel right, but as a newbie you had no idea. So no embarassment necessary.

Now, one of the biggest problems with the swifts is the shifting back strap as you move your head on the pillow. Use UFO 13's great trick of sewing (UFO says staple, I say sew) some velcro hook tape (the stiff side) inside the back strap. That will keep it from sliding around, and it isn't as uncomfortable as it sounds.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

lktnky

Post by lktnky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks for the good laugh! MUCH appreciated after my rough day.

If you look on the side of the pillow, there are a series of dots. On one of the elbows of the headgear, there is also a dot.

Just connect the dots!!!!

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Cute!
I'll have to remember that!