CPAP battery operation and transport by air

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hans van Wijngaarde

CPAP battery operation and transport by air

Post by Hans van Wijngaarde » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:45 am

Dear Reader
I found that a batterypack can only be used for 8 hours and needs 9 hours re-loading.
Also found that it is forbidden to take the battery into an aircraft ,might be confiscated at customs.
Is this correct??I there an alternative??
I am planning a 2 weeks trekking in Nepal .
Hans

LoQ

Re: CPAP battery operation and transport by air

Post by LoQ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:40 pm

Hans van Wijngaarde wrote:Dear Reader
I found that a batterypack can only be used for 8 hours and needs 9 hours re-loading.
That's going to depend upon the battery. It also depends upon your machine settings, so be aware that the higher the pressure you need, the shorter the time the battery will last.

Hans van Wijngaarde wrote:Also found that it is forbidden to take the battery into an aircraft ,might be confiscated at customs.
Is this correct??I there an alternative??
I am planning a 2 weeks trekking in Nepal .
Hans
I don't know. I suggest you call all of the airlines involved in this trip and ask them what the regulations are. You may need to contact your government's department in charge of relationships with other countries for this information. I think you have to be prepared, however, for custom agents following a different set of regulations than what you are told. What would you do in that case?

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:54 pm

I recently flew overnight to Europe on US Airways and had no problem taking my battery on board. In the end, I didn't have to use it as there were electrical outlets on the plane I did call the airline ahead of time to discuss it with them. They required me to bring a note from my doctor saying that I needed to use the CPAP on the plane in order to sleep. Also, before boarding, they had to take the note to the captain of the plane and get him/her to agree to let me use it. It wasn't a problem. In fact my mother and I were traveling together and we both hooked up.

FWIW, the battery I took on board is a Li-ion "Super CPAP Battery Pack" that I got from the Battery Geek website. However, even though I told them I had the battery with me, no one asked what kind it was or asked to see it. I had been told over the phone in advance that the battery capacity had to be one and one-half times the amount of time that I would need to use the CPAP. It was, but as I said, no one checked. Security didn't blink either. I just put it through the scanner in my carry-on bag. They didn't even ask me about it.

JStaggie

Post by JStaggie » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm sure the policy varies by airline, but on United if you provide sufficient notice prior to a long haul flight (I think it's more than 48 hours), they can run power to your seat to for your CPAP.
I haven't done it yet, but I think I read about it on FlyerTalk.com.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Have the airlines figured out what's inside each of the laptops carried on board?
jeff

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:25 pm

There is a limit to the size of the battery (I think that it is actually the amount of lithium) that can be carried on board an aircraft. The medium sized Battery Geek CPAP battery is not too large, but I believe that the large Battery Geek CPAP battery (BG-C444) is larger than is supposed to be carried on an airplane.

I carry my Battery Geek battery in my CPAP bag all of the time and I have never had a problem with it at any airport.

bailachel

Post by bailachel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:01 pm

The one I have is the BG-C222 which I don't see now on their web site. It seems to have been replaced by the BG C-250.