Do you do this when you travel?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
momof2inmn

Do you do this when you travel?

Post by momof2inmn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 pm

I've seen several of you post that you ask the TSA agent to change their gloves when they examine your CPAP, but do you also ask them to do the other two bullet points below (from the TSA website)? Wasn't sure what the ETD sampling media was and what other things it will have touched
Upon request, TSOs will change their gloves prior to performing the visual and physical inspection, and ETD sampling of your CPAP machine. The CPAP will need to be removed from the plastic bag by the TSO to conduct the ETD sampling.

Upon request, TSOs will clean the table where the ETD sampling will be conducted.

Upon request, TSOs will change the ETD sampling media before conducting the ETD sampling.
This will be my first time traveling by air with my CPAP and I don't want to be a pain or get held up because I'm being too picky, but I also don't want to just let any old thing touch my CPAP - kwim??

Julie

Re: Do you do this when you travel?

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Why not keep an eye on the stuff that hits the table just before you and see if it's likely to be a problem, and then ask if you feel it's warranted. I know if e.g. I saw someone cough or sneeze directly ahead of me I would ask about for a swipe-up, but not necessarily otherwise. Haven't actually had to fly with mine yet though, and it's pretty personal as far as your tolerance level goes I guess.

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:02 pm

momof2inmn, thanks for posting this question! I'm leaving Sunday for the first plane trip since getting my cpap. I knew I could ask them to change their gloves, but I didn't know about cleaning the table or using new testing medium. That's so good to know, because I'm a bit OCD about germs. Now I've read everything pertinent on the TSA website and the website of the airline we're using, so I know what to politely ask for. Thanks so much!

momof2inmn

Post by momof2inmn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:35 pm

brazospearl wrote:momof2inmn, thanks for posting this question! I'm leaving Sunday for the first plane trip since getting my cpap. I knew I could ask them to change their gloves, but I didn't know about cleaning the table or using new testing medium. That's so good to know, because I'm a bit OCD about germs. Now I've read everything pertinent on the TSA website and the website of the airline we're using, so I know what to politely ask for. Thanks so much!
You're welcome - that's what I love about this site, so many of us all needing the same answers and so many others with the answers we need!

lktnky

Post by lktnky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:40 am

When I pack my VPAP, I put it in an unused plastic baggie (from the grocery store produce section) and just leave it in that baggie for TSA to swab. You do have to take it out of the travel bag, but it's been ok to rest it on the baggie.
Yes, I ask them to change their gloves & they're always nice about complying with my request.
As for changing the medium, they do it anyway. Also, most agents are pretty nice about waiting for me to get done with the rest of the check-in so I can stay with my machine.
Have a fun trip!
All the best,
LKTNKY

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:01 am

I never ask them to change anything, if it were my mask I would probably care. I think that being anally retentive about a CPAP machine is no different from being anally retentive about a clock radio. I don't normally watch them swab it, but when I have, they usually leave the machine in the tote tray; it doesn't touch the table.

A few people have expressed a desire to put their CPAP machine in checked luggage. When TSA hand checks checked luggage (my partner and I have had a few bags come home with a TSA inspection slip inside it), you can bet that the CPAP machine was swabbed -- and that the TSA inspector hadn't changed their gloves or swab before swabbing it.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:05 am

I have to ask, what is ETD sampling?

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:34 am

LoQ, I think it stands for Explosive Trace Detection, but I'm not entirely sure. I know they're looking for trace evidence of explosives, though, so it has something to do with that.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:39 am

brazospearl wrote:LoQ, I think it stands for Explosive Trace Detection, but I'm not entirely sure. I know they're looking for trace evidence of explosives, though, so it has something to do with that.
Thanks for the info. I assume people are asking for a glove change because of germs.

How do you get the mask through? Do they not touch your mask with dirty gloves, too?

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:44 am

I can't speak for why others ask for a glove change, but it's a germ deal for me. I'm a little OCD about germs. And if I start thinking about putting the machine that I use for breathing in those nasty tubs where other people have put SHOES and god-knows-what-else, not to mention being sneezed and coughed on....well, it's just too gross to think about. It makes me feel better to know I can use a plastic bag and ask the nice security people to wear clean gloves. Pretty stupid, but there it is!

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:59 am

I haven't flown since getting my CPAP machine, so I was having a hard time picturing what was happening. It doesn't sound stupid to me at all to worry about germs.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:59 pm

LoQ wrote:How do you get the mask through? Do they not touch your mask with dirty gloves, too?
LoQ, they don't touch the mask. You just leave it in the cpap case (along with humidifier, hose, and other cpap stuff) when it goes through the regular scanner.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:07 pm

plr66 wrote:LoQ, they don't touch the mask. You just leave it in the cpap case (along with humidifier, hose, and other cpap stuff) when it goes through the regular scanner.
Thank you. That helps me to know what to expect.

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:10 pm

bearded_two, the difference for me between my cpap & a clock radio is that I don't breathe through the radio...

plr66

Post by plr66 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:21 pm

brazospearl wrote:bearded_two, the difference for me between my cpap & a clock radio is that I don't breathe through the radio...
But the thing is, that they're not poking their gloved fingers into the hose/humidifier connection outlets, nor the filtered intake spot. You are not going to be breathing any germs from the outside of your cpap. TSA is simply picking up the machine! It took just my first trip with cpap to get over the OCD germ-worries. Take a few Lysol wipes with you in a ziplock, and wipe down your cpap when you get to your destination. No sweat.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.