O2 Desaturation, Oxygen Supplement, AHI 85 untreated, Help?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slinky

Re: O2 Desaturation, Oxygen Supplement, AHI 85 untreated, Help?

Post by Slinky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:43 pm

Most of our "events" occur whilst sleeping on our back and in REM sleep.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Mr Capers

Post by Mr Capers » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

I wrote Apria, my DME, to get their "Great Escapes" brochure. The brochure explains all one must do to have Apria provide supplemental oxygen, respiratory medication, nutrition and infusion services when you travel. Got the brochure. Read it. Have questions. My Apria rep wasn't returning phone calls when I last asked about oxygen while traveling. So, I'm asking my friends here.

Twice in the brochure Apria states "Additionally, a portable oxygen concentrator is not recommended for use at night. Therefore, even if you plan to use a portable oxygen concentrator, you must make arrangements for a stationary system to be delivered to your destination."

Can anyone say with assurance whether Apria is correct in asserting that portable concentrators are not "recommended for use at night."?

To me, this makes no sense. If the thing runs in the daytime does a spell descend at night so it stops functioning? Are they just out of date? Are newer portable oxygen concentrators suitable for use at night?

Again, talking about using supplemental oxygen in a camper or trailer, they say: "A portable oxygen concentrator may also meet your portable needs when traveling with a camper or trailer. However, a portable oxygen concentrator should not be used while sleeping. You will also require stationary oxygen equipment, such as a liquid system or a standard concentrator for night time use."

My only need for supplemental oxygen is at night. I was hoping a portable concentrator would be quieter, and possibly bearable in the room. But, it sounds like Apria is closing the door on that possibility.

Opinions? Thoughts?

TIA,
Mr Capers, unhappy traveller

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:58 pm

You MUST have constant 02 to use w/a CPAP. No portable concentrator I am aware of is capable of an 8 hour or more supply of 02 when used at a constant setting. Portable concentrators only have the capacity to supply 02 in pulse mode for any extended length of time.

talkaboutsleep.com sells 02 concentrators, you probably will get more straight forward information by calling them and talking to one of their RRTs.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes, I think that includes the Respironics EvenFlo which sells for some $4000 online w/just one battery and I think I remember reading that it needs 2 batteries to last 8 hrs on continuous flow at 2L.

mreewh

Post by mreewh » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:50 am

Mr Capers, I feel for you dealing with Apria, regarding the O2 situation or any xPAP scenario.

For what it's worth, there is an Apria office here in Santa Fe, so if you're still 30 days out from your travel here, you should be able to get a standard concentrator. I had one before my CPAP therapy was in place and I verified improved nocturnal and daytime O2 sats. Lots of people here are on supplemental O2.

(I had the same argument with them regarding the logistical difficulty of travel. Told them if they wanted to cause me to go on disability - I travel a lot for work - I'd be glad to take that up with their accreditation body.)

Severe OSA, diagnosed August 2009

Mr Capers

Post by Mr Capers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Everyone,

Just getting ready to leave for the farmer's market. Shopping for us and our 94 year old neighbor who lives alone and does all his cooking, cleaning, etc. I'll get back to you when I return.

And I do have a list of portables that provide continuous flow. Batteries are not an issue. Motel rooms have power. It will be plugged in.

Many thanks for your replies.
Mr Capers

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:03 pm

Oh no you don't, Mr Capers!!!! You "forgot" to share that list of portable concentrators that can provide continuous flow!!!! Tsk, tsk.

Mr Capers

Post by Mr Capers » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Slinky, and all the rest of you, too,

Here's the website and here's the http://www.portableoxygen.org/POC_Compa ... -15-10.pdf link. They say the list is current as of 1-15-10.
The models they list with continuous output are:
  • SeQual Eclipse 2,
    DeVilbiss iGo,
    Invacare SOLO2,
    OxLife Independence
They all show the capability to deliver 3LPM continuous. Since I only use this at night, and I'll be in a hotel/motel/B&B, I (naively?), thought that plugged in, they ought to be fine. Plus, much less noisy. Some of the O2 supplement shops on the web say they will rent portables. Has anyone tried that?

Hi mreewh, I'm retired now. When I travelled for work, I can't imagine adding coordinating with Apria to one of my business trips. A number of those were pretty last minute. No time to give Apria 3-4 weeks notice when the client only gave 3-4 days notice. The thought of trying to get a good night's rest with my concentrator roaring away in the room is a non-starter. Maybe newer models are quieter. Mine is the Invacare Platinum 5. Adding to the noise factor, it delivers three ear-piercing shrieks (alarms) each time I turn it on. This is very cool at 3AM after a trip to the bathroom. I can see that working out well in a B&B.

My Apria has pulse concentrators. Why not these portable continuous ones?

Still trying to make my traveling easier and whipping my Apria branch into shape,

The unhappy traveller,
Mr Capers

Maryaz

Post by Maryaz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Hello again; It’s been a while. I am familiar with the pdf list that Mr Capers provided here. That list and the website itself is highly recommended. Probably the best website on ‘all about portable oxygen.’ http://www.portableoxygen.org/

I am not positive but I think you can disable that alarm from going off. Assuming it is ‘yours’ and not rented. I am pretty sure that is not recommended. We had one that it quit working. It really is a very important alarm to have for someone that needs to wear o2.

The Invacare that you mention I have had or still have. We have 3 here between 2 of us. I saw a new Invacare home-fil demonstrated and it was much quieter. Not sure of the sound level on any of the other new models. I had bought an Air-Sep Concentrator (not portable) and I thought it was quieter. Don’t think you can avoid the heat. We put it in a room other than the one I am in. I use mine 24/7.

There are a lot of places that rent the portable concentrators. Just call around. I think the Sequal Eclipse now has 3 versions. The newest, I understand, is not always the best. I don’t remember the particulars but I know, from another demonstration that a newer one lacked something the old one had but then had another feature that was improved.

I belong to a forum with many o2 users. We always recommend that someone rent these portable concentrators before buying. They are all different. It is substantial money to invest. Not surprising in high altitudes that there are more people on o2.

I was instructed to have my o2 set at 4 liters with my bipap. I use 2 to 3 liters during the day. We tried moving the concentrator where I sleep so I could change it to 4 liters, as it is too hard for me to go switch every night. It was just too noisy and too hot tho. My pulmonary doctor said I could set it at 3 liters. That way it was taken out of my room and put back where it was and is set at 3 before my husband goes to bed.

The 3 liters has been working fine. This summer has been extremely bad for me and many others with breathing problems. I have used the bipap just to get my breathing under control during the day at times. I discovered by doing this that when the o2 is set at 4 liters, I really do get better saturation numbers. The 3 works but I can sure see how much better 1 more liter makes. My Pulmonary Dr is the one that ordered my sleep study and because of my problems this summer I was using my nebulizer that I don’t usually use. He said I should try using the bipap. It really helps.

Rent before buy if you can. Lots of places rent. Best of luck working this out to be workable.