Get Both Patient & Clinician Manuals for Your CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Physician

Get Both Patient & Clinician Manuals for Your CPAP

Post by Physician » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:22 am

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

If not directly downloadable, the Mod will e-mail them to you as an attachment.

Do you agree that patients should (or do) have the right to adjust their own units ?

DreamStalker

Re: Get Both Patient & Clinician Manuals for Your CPAP

Post by DreamStalker » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:26 am

Physician wrote:http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

If not directly downloadable, the Mod will e-mail them to you as an attachment.

Do you agree that patients should (or do) have the right to adjust their own units ?
Absolutely. The condition belongs to the patient as does the treatment responsibilities.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:36 am

Physician doesn't say, but I must add that the ApneaBoard's service is FREE (They do request contributions). They are a tremendous asset to the xpap community.

JayC

Post by JayC » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:55 am

Yes, that info manual flows freely here too.......

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:17 am

Yes, definitely. I am well aware that there are some people that can not adjust a room thermostat without messing things up, but these people should not prevent others from having access to these manuals. My experience on this forum is that members are very knolwledgeable, they have searched for information, hence found this site. They are also very caring and like to help others. I also have friends being treated for sleep apnea that could care less about their treatment and leave 100% of their care to the doctors and RT's.
Physician, thanks for the information.
Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Physician,

I'm curious about your medical specialty. If you do any sort of primary care you must have diabetic patients who must learn to adjust their insulin dose, food and/or exercise according to the results of their blood glucose readings, asthma patients who must adjust their therapy for flare ups. Those patients are generally provided with a good deal of patient education and close follow-up.

I don't see a lot of difference in that and CPAP therapy other than the degree of consequence in poor management which is surely higher with diabetes and asthma patients. SA patients should be educated in how to access and read their data and adjust their therapy. They can certainly harm themselves less than diabetic and asthma patients by making adjustments to therapy, but the benefits can be great if it's done correctly.

Unfortunately, there is little or no patient education going on in the area of SA, so most patients aren't ready to do this. Typically, the self-selected group that comes to websites like this is more than just curious--it's a self-educated bunch that can take an active role in their treatment. I am dismayed when some practitioners find this threatening.

Our medical system does not support the effectiveness of xpap therapy. Imagine if we treated diabetes this way! The big money by sleep doctors, clinics, and DME's is in testing and providing equipment, not in educating patients and insuring efficacy on a long-term basis. Sleep clinics are so busy doing new sleep studies that most people in the US get their follow-up for the purpose of establishing compliance only (if that--often it's a phone call from the DME provider, not even the visit Medicare regulations REQUIRE).

It's not uncommon for someone having a problem with their therapy to wait 2 or 3 months or even more for an appointment with a clinician to figure out the problem--many people stop xpap therapy before that appointment ever happens. The only person who is looking out for the patient to make sure the treatment is effective and optimal for that person is the patient him or herself--and then only the educated patient. The clinician's manual is a necessary tool so that the knowledgeable patient can access data and settings to take an active role in therapy.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Physician

Post by Physician » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:48 pm

Janknitz:

My question was simply a POLL of what others thought. For several reasons, I concur the patient should have ALL the operating instructions.

I also have a different view of sleep studies, but that's for another thread.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:56 pm

It's really aggravating that the Clinician's Manual is included with every machine -- with instructions to the DME to remove it before giving the machine to the patient.

And is sure seems that some of these "stolen" manual somehow find their way to eBay listings.

The online providers give the patient everything that came in the box.
jeff

slaaplekker

I was Lucky

Post by slaaplekker » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 pm

My DME gave me everything that came with the PR System 1 Auto that I got from them. But I'm happy that there is a source for those who didn't get everything they should have gotten from their DME.

John

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:34 pm

Sorry, Physician--I did not mean my remarks as criticism, only as illustration. No offense meant
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Physician

Post by Physician » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 am

Janknitz wrote:Sorry, Physician--I did not mean my remarks as criticism, only as illustration. No offense meant

Sorry. I meant it as clarification, and was never offended. One of the many keys to happiness in life is to not allow others to control one's emotions. We are each responsible for our own feelings. There should be no such sentence as "He makes me mad."

Ooops. I digressed.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:28 am

Physician wrote:Janknitz:

My question was simply a POLL of what others thought. For several reasons, I concur the patient should have ALL the operating instructions.

Physician, please do start that other thread. I have my own view on the sleep studies but I would sure like to hear your views and others views.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Physician

Post by Physician » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am

Slinky wrote:
Physician wrote:Janknitz:

Physician, please do start that other thread. I have my own view on the sleep studies but I would sure like to hear your views and others views.

Sure, tonight. Great idea. Many will disagree with the position.

Nord

Post by Nord » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 am

Physician wrote: Do you agree that patients should (or do) have the right to adjust their own units ?
I find it extremely odd that anyone would think that ANY patient would NOT have the right to adjust their OWN unit on their OWN body.
Where would the thought have originated that someone else controls THAT RIGHT.... odd

Nord

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

not providing the manual is a feeble attempt to keep willing and able patients out of the driving seat.

Thankfully my DME showed me how to access the clinical menu and change my pressure settings with my S8.

I like the clinical manual for the S9 it has a clear explanation for most of the terms and all the technology. Its like it was almost intended to be read by the patient. It even has a section on traveling with the S9.