Can CPAP cause depression/anxiety?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lucyhere

Re: Can CPAP cause depression/anxiety?

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:
GettingBetter wrote:Also - if Nan doesn't have a nose, where does she put the hose?

I'm gonna have to sit on my fingers and not answer that one! I'm a nice, soft spoken woman, ya know!
Looks like one finger got loose, unless you have a Android Tablet, like mine, it does a remarkable job, but still makes many mistakes.... Jim
I was waiting for that Goofy... and absolutely knew you would be the one to say it!
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:36 pm

Goofproof wrote:Why did they rename it, couldn't they remember how to spell it ¿ I'm still watching reruns from the 1990's, it works for them.

I'm sure you no my feeling on the Federal Government's control, if they are involved, it's screwed up, over priced and corrept. Jim
My understanding is that every time the 'Big Guys' rename previous disorders, it's because they are trying to make the diagnosis sound less stigmatizing/ offensive, and to describe it more accurately.

(Or they could have simply forgot what they called it, because one of the personalities ran away with part of the title Who knows?!)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:45 pm

SleepyEyes21 wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Why did they rename it, couldn't they remember how to spell it ¿ I'm still watching reruns from the 1990's, it works for them.

I'm sure you no my feeling on the Federal Government's control, if they are involved, it's screwed up, over priced and corrept. Jim
My understanding is that every time the 'Big Guys' rename previous disorders, it's because they are trying to make the diagnosis sound less stigmatizing/ offensive, and to describe it more accurately.

(Or they could have simply forgot what they called it, because one of the personalities ran away with part of the title Who knows?!)
Maybe it's because of the turn over of Professors teaching at the schools, due to their drug use! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:47 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:The top Psych guys re-named 'Multiple personality disorder' to Dissociative Identity Disorder in 1994; blame the Feds for limiting access to necessary treatment and meds for the past 100+ years
I agree on limiting access for necessary treatment... but meds not so much. Way too many meds being handed out like candy and not enough decent, affordable talk therapy.
Uh- Lucy, (how many Friday night margaritas have you had already? ) These last two sentences seem to contradict each other?

(I'll have what she's having )

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:50 pm

SleepyEyes21 wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:The top Psych guys re-named 'Multiple personality disorder' to Dissociative Identity Disorder in 1994; blame the Feds for limiting access to necessary treatment and meds for the past 100+ years
I agree on limiting access for necessary treatment... but meds not so much. Way too many meds being handed out like candy and not enough decent, affordable talk therapy.
Uh- Lucy, (how many Friday night margaritas have you had already? ) These last two sentences seem to contradict each other?

Maybe you are right! Actually, I wasn't sure what you were saying either.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Goofproof wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:

Maybe it's because of the turn over of Professors teaching at the schools, due to their drug use! Jim
You're right! The Mind is a terrible thing to see ~~wasted~~

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:05 am

Lucyhere wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:

I understood what you meant Lucy. And on a lot more serious note, you might interested in this article about how more deaths are caused by psych meds than heroin.

http://www.rehabs.com/pro-talk-articles ... an-heroin/

And just so people know, I am not anti meds but feel they are prescribed way too often as this article points out.

49er

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:57 am

49er wrote: I understood what you meant Lucy. And on a lot more serious note, you might interested in this article about how more deaths are caused by psych meds than heroin.

And just so people know, I am not anti meds but feel they are prescribed way too often as this article points out.

49er
Looking at the data and what I see as an addictions professional, we are still seeing more heroin and opiate users requiring and requesting treatment for their addictions than alcohol and marijuana users. However... Benzos (Xanax, Valium) with Opiates and Heroin are getting to be more common. Sure, someone is getting Rxed the Benzos and opiate medications, but they seem to be making it to the street more and more. Further, we're finding that Rx Methadone (an opiate agonist) therapy combined with even Gabapentin and Flexeril are not good combinations either - the contraindication seems to exist because some of the patients seem "high" from the combos.

Drugs aren't bad. It's how they are used. Use according to the label and while under the care of your Primary and PharmD and you're safer than just taking them when you want.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:36 am

Roman Hokie wrote:
49er wrote: I understood what you meant Lucy. And on a lot more serious note, you might interested in this article about how more deaths are caused by psych meds than heroin.

49er
Looking at the data and what I see as an addictions professional, we are still seeing more heroin and opiate users requiring and requesting treatment for their addictions than alcohol and marijuana users. However... Benzos (Xanax, Valium) with Opiates and Heroin are getting to be more common. Sure, someone is getting Rxed the Benzos and opiate medications, but they seem to be making it to the street more and more. Further, we're finding that Rx Methadone (an opiate agonist) therapy combined with even Gabapentin and Flexeril are not good combinations either - the contraindication seems to exist because some of the patients seem "high" from the combos.

Drugs aren't bad. It's how they are used. Use according to the label and while under the care of your Primary and PharmD and you're safer than just taking them when you want.
Hi Roman,

The point of the article is people are getting killed by psych meds due to polypharmacy in spite of taking them as prescribed by doctors.

And even if they don't get killed, it is a big time problem. I can't find the specific blog entry but this retired psychiatrist has discussed this issue quite a bit on this site:

http://1boringoldman.com/

Finally, regarding benzos, many patients took them as prescribed and had a horrible time with them, which included the experience from h-ll in trying to get off of them. Sadly, they were dealt with very unsympathetically and wrongly looked at as drug addicts.

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:40 am

That, too.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:45 am

49er wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:

I understood what you meant Lucy. And on a lot more serious note, you might interested in this article about how more deaths are caused by psych meds than heroin.

49er
That's because the Heroine is sold retail, the psych meds are government subsidized. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Life is full of risks and choices. None of us are getting out alive. We live one day at a time like we use this therapy.....one night at a time.

"Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." (quote from the "The Shawshank Redemption")

Den

Good quote cause that about sums it up... but for some folks who are seriously depressed, they don't know if they are busy livin' or busy dyin'. It's complicated.
Yes it is. And those who reply with "buck up" need to buck off. I have no problem with wearing my cpap, I just wish it worked better. I've adjusted the pressure up, down, epr on, epr off, changed masks, posted sleepyhead screenshots, sleep on my side, blood work,.....and I'm still wiped out. Those who actually feel better on this therapy should realize that not everyone else does.

Mask: Flexifit 407

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:03 pm

I can see apnea contributing to depression; but the TREATMENT as responsible for depression?
Maybe a trigger for someone already borderline depressed; but having difficulty using cpap.
That would be possible--but still nobody's "fault".
A challenge, for sure.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:50 pm

49er wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:
Lucyhere wrote:

49er
The reason anti meds kill more than heroin, is the government buys and despences less heroin. They use the Heroin in house, both White and Congress. Jim

Black Shampoo

Post by Black Shampoo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:35 am

One thing that I struggled with when I started therapy was caffeine - I used to drink a lot of coffee to combat the tiredness, and suddenly having my body not "need" as much caffeine meant that I got overcaffeinated very quickly and that led to jittery anxiety with heart palpitations and panic attacks, even. Sleep is intimately involved with all of your neurochemistry, and suddenly changing something - even for the better! - is like racking up a bunch of pool balls and then breaking them.