Staining of Pillowcases????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

Re: Staining of Pillowcases????

Post by SleepingUgly » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:36 am

The Oxyclean laundry spray removes nearly every stain I've ever encountered.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Ask them not to use their flavoured/coloured KY jellies when they are having fun at your house.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

kempo

Post by kempo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:36 pm

I have oily skin. I take a shower when I get up in the morning and one before I go to bed. If I don't my pillow case cover becomes oil stained pretty quick. I would be willing to bet body oil saturated black fabric head gear has stained you pillow case. If the case is removable use Woolite like this:

http://home.families.com/blog/cleaning-pillows

charlie46

Post by charlie46 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:35 am

I have been having the same issue for about two months now. Black-purple stains on either side of where my head is while I sleep. I've noticed a bit of spray from the CPAP vent but no stains like this until recently. I noticed a bit of dark staining in the convolutions in a short section of the tube that didn't respond to soapy water, bleach, or hydrogen peroxide. i eventually replaced the mask, straps, and tubes. Still have the problem. I had stopped using distilled water for a while (was using softened, filtered water instead). The spots look like mildew. Bleach and/or oxy don't remove the stains.

toronto69

Post by toronto69 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:51 pm

charlie46 wrote:I have been having the same issue for about two months now. Black-purple stains on either side of where my head is while I sleep. I've noticed a bit of spray from the CPAP vent but no stains like this until recently. I noticed a bit of dark staining in the convolutions in a short section of the tube that didn't respond to soapy water, bleach, or hydrogen peroxide. i eventually replaced the mask, straps, and tubes. Still have the problem. I had stopped using distilled water for a while (was using softened, filtered water instead). The spots look like mildew. Bleach and/or oxy don't remove the stains.
Sorry for replying to an old discussion, but I've been getting purplish stains on my pillowcases for a while and couldn't figure out what it was. I decided to google the problem which led me to this discussion, and eureka!! charlrie46, you solved the mystery for me. I bought a sleep eye mask (black) from the drug store, and I'm sure it's the dye from the eye mask! Hope this helps the original poster. Maybe their mother was using a cheap eye mask for sleeping.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon May 26, 2014 4:09 pm

Annoyed wrote:...My parents both use CPAPs and every time they spend the night they leave grease stains and large black or dark purple stains (maybe partial rings) on the pillowcases. ...
Unless you are willing to precipitate a real crisis over this issue, I suggest that you have a separate set of pillows and cases and extras just in case that are used only when your parents are there. The fabric should be a polyester blend since cotton does stain easily. A dark pattern would be nice.

Consider if the cost of a pillow case or two is worth having a rift with your parents.

If the stain is 'oily' or 'greasy' perhaps they are using some hair conditioner or coloring (as has been suggested) for the special trip to your house that they don't use at home. That might account for the difference. It seems very unlikely that they are lying about home experience with regards to this issue so it has to be a combination or different materials and/or different hair preparation.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Tom1956

Post by Tom1956 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Hello
I to have purplish stains on my pillow case and sheets. This has just been noticeable. They look like its been there fore awhile almost faded look to them. I washed my CPAP band and my eye mask wrapped them in a white paper towel and then in a white paper plate. Rolled both real tight and the culprit was the EYE MASK! The eyemask I use is by Lewis and Clark. Its the rim of the eye mask fabric the silky part. Hopes that helps.

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 pm

Annoyed wrote:Has anyone experienced this?? My parents both use CPAPs and every time they spend the night they leave grease stains and large black or dark purple stains (maybe partial rings) on the pillowcases. These DO NOT wash out! Mom claims to have never seen these at home? I call BS!! Anyone have a similar issue? What's it from? How do I remove the stain?

Sorry you are annoyed that they have ruined your pillowcases but if it were me, I would be so grateful to have both my parents alive and with me.......I mean, they are only pillowcases, does it really matter that much if they are ruined? Be grateful they are able to spend their lives with you still

Don't sweat the little things...........lifes too short.

Problem? Buy dark pillow covers and wash them weekly. Problem solved.

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

ShelaghDB

Post by ShelaghDB » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:14 pm

/sighs

this is a very old discussion LOL
Ask them not to use their flavoured/coloured KY jellies when they are having fun at your house

LMAO Best Answer Yet!

 5k 27" Retina iMac,
 MacBookPro 10.9.5 13" 2.53Ghz + 10.9.5 13" 2.4Ghz
 iPad 4 16Gig + 3G  iPhone 5 + One + One 64gig CyanogenMod Version
 Apple TV + Airport Extreme

tarpasashack

Post by tarpasashack » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 pm

charlie46 wrote:I have been having the same issue for about two months now. Black-purple stains on either side of where my head is while I sleep. I've noticed a bit of spray from the CPAP vent but no stains like this until recently. I noticed a bit of dark staining in the convolutions in a short section of the tube that didn't respond to soapy water, bleach, or hydrogen peroxide. i eventually replaced the mask, straps, and tubes. Still have the problem. I had stopped using distilled water for a while (was using softened, filtered water instead). The spots look like mildew. Bleach and/or oxy don't remove the stains.
I know this is a very old discussion, but I am hoping to contact this user. I have the exact same problem. It is not sweat, drool, dye, or any toiletry. It is some reaction between my mask and the distilled water. There are dark stains in my mask and on my pillowcase. WHAT IS IT??? charlie46, what kind of mask were you using when you had this problem? I have never had it before I started using the Quattro Air, so I'm wondering if it is the materials it's made of. Any further info would be great!

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:18 am

I don't think that poster's been on here in a very long time - not a regular - so good luck waiting. You'd be better off to call the mfgr and talk to their tech people about the kind of plastics/rubber/material used in the mask and the fact it reacts with you... Or, you could try Pad-a-cheek liners and see if they help.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 am

Tie-dye the bedding. (Pretend it's still the sixties.)
Over the years, I have tie-dyed all sorts of things and gotten years of post-stain use.
----Maybe I need a tie-dye dust cover for my equipment . . .

Dyed

Post by Dyed » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:34 am

I have silver/white hair, and the cpap head harness is staining my hair - someone asked if I was dying half of my hair - need to find a new maks

breatheair

Post by breatheair » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:43 am

Bump. Having the same problem started 2 weeks ago. I can see some black marks inside the tube. looks like mold or mildew, but is greasy. using a Philips Respironics. did anyone with the same problem figure out what was going on?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:41 am

Soap and water. If it's not the equipment, it's YOU.
Just wash, and see the doctor if it persists.
--do not neglect to rule out a health issue.