Staining of Pillowcases????

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Annoyed

Staining of Pillowcases????

Post by Annoyed » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Has anyone experienced this?? My parents both use CPAPs and every time they spend the night they leave grease stains and large black or dark purple stains (maybe partial rings) on the pillowcases. These DO NOT wash out! Mom claims to have never seen these at home? I call BS!! Anyone have a similar issue? What's it from? How do I remove the stain?

jules

Re: Staining of Pillowcases????

Post by jules » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:06 pm

I would suggest buying a separate set of pillows and nice pillowcases to use just for your parents. You might even want some darker pillowcases or some nice cluttered print where the marks won't be a problem.

As far as what they are? I would wonder about dampness and mold growth in your dwelling.

Annoyed

Post by Annoyed » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Thanks for the response. Nope, it's not mold or a dampness issue; it's a stain. Also, I've used a set of sheets just for them for years, but when they were here last they needed another pillow and grabbed one that matches a set I really like. I just can't help thinking that it has something to do with the CPAPs.

donnafowler

Post by donnafowler » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:46 am

I have been using my CPAP for almost 20 months now and I have not had the problem you describe. I have never seen it on mentioned on either of the two forums I frequent either. I am sorry I am no help with this, but I am very curious to see if anyone has an answer.

TheTwinsMom1

Post by TheTwinsMom1 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:48 am

I used a white pillow case at home and have no stains on my pillowcases. I would not have any clue on what on a cpap mask would cause stains. Are they perhaps using some kind of hair product or makeup that is leaving the stains. I don't really think there is much to a cpap mask and tubing except for plastic and silicone.
APAP Pressure of 12-20, EPR of 3, CMS-50F Oximeter, PapCap, and Regenesis Pillow. 200mg Provigil in the AM. Also diagnosed with Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:54 am

Long shot, but, they aren't adding anything in their humidifier water are they? Have you inspected their equipment for clues?

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:34 am

I am sure that if in the last five years I have been using my machines that there was any staining of any kind on the pillow cases my wife would have said some thing to me about it.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 am

No staining at my house either. Purple?

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:17 am

No staining here that I am aware of. Daughter has not said anything about her hubby's mask/hose leaving stains.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:37 am

I remember when I was a child some people used a purple medicine that stained. It was used on boo boos. My mother used methiolate. I know I spelled that wrong. Maybe it is something like that.

JayC

Post by JayC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:08 am

Yes, I know what you are writing about.........!!

Seems to be more of an issue with 100% cotton linens in my experience. Satin or poly blend cases....regardless of color seem not to get stained.

I soaked and then vinegar rinsed my headgear straps when I first received it, but honestly haven't done it since. I was thinking my skin oils were aiding the transfer of dye....and they may be.... but the bigger determinant appears to be the cotton content of the pillow case.

J

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:15 am

Probably a long shot but if they both have gray hair they might both be using some of the leave in blue/purple coloring that covers up yellow in gray hair. Not really sure how it is being transferred to the pillowcase. Possibly the humidity level in your house is different or something.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:43 am

Annoyed, I would give anything to have my parents leave stains on my pillow cases. They are both deceased, and I miss them. Enjoy them while you can.

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 am

I use 100% cotton linens, and I haven't had any stains at all in 8 months of CPAP use.

It is odd that your parents say they don't have this problem at home. Perhaps your climate is different and they are perspiring more at your house? Or maybe their linens at home are dark and they don't see very well. When they visit, perhaps you could check their headgear side straps to see if they may be giving off the color. If so, there are strap covers that may help.

I suggest that you use a good pillow cover, dark pillowcases, and enjoy the time you have with them. Although I'm sure it is annoying, this is a very small problem in the big scheme of life. I hope that we've given you a few ideas that will help.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 am

I vote for sweaty headgear (do they wash theirs? for some unbeknownst reason some people just don't) or excess hair color. A someone else suggested, get an extra sets of pillowcases in a pattern where the stains won't be noticeable and enjoy your parents while they're still here.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.