Pat downs because of CPAP machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sharon1225

Pat downs because of CPAP machines

Post by Sharon1225 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:00 am

On the way to Tennessee for the 4th of July, I was subjected to a pat down because my CPAP machine tested positive. That consisted of the female agent touching me all over my body with gloves. Then she took the gloves to be tested. Since her gloves didn't test positive, they let me fly, but because my husband and I complained about all the touching of my breasts, we had to visit with other officials of airport security. One of the officers informed us that we don't have to fly.

I do not know why my machine tested positive. The agent testing it said I must have just used some hand lotion. Someone else asked if I took blood pressure medicine. I plead guilty to both. I use hand lotion and take blood pressure medicine. I read here that glycerine is often used in cosmetics and it is also used in nitro glycerine, which is an explosive. A blogger on this site said that airport security has been having a problem with false alarms for that reason. I do remember that this time I did put on my make up before I packed my CPAP machine. I usually do that first thing after I wake up. I could also have used hand lotion just before I took the machine out to put it in a bin for airport security.

Now, I am not sure what to do about the trip back home. I was planning to just check it and take the risk that it could be damaged or lost. I thought I'd wrap it in bubble wrap and put it inside a suit case. I don't know what I'd do if the luggage got lost or if it was stolen. I would not be able to sleep without it.....at least not for very long.

I feel violated when I have to stand with my arms out while a woman touches my breasts. it's embarrassing to do that in public with everyone watching, but going to a private room with a stranger who is going to touch my breasts seems creepy. As much as I hate having it done in public, going to a secluded room seems worse.

Hawthorne

Re: Pat downs because of CPAP machines

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:10 am

I have had a pat down at an airport. It was before I was on cpap but I have 2 artificial joints that set off the alarm. My pat down was also by a female agent.

I guess I was fortunate because I did not feel offended in any way by this. The male agent, who was checking would not do it and, when I explained why the alarm went off and showed him the card from the doctor that informs of artificial joints, He asked if I would mind if an female agent did a pat down. She was very respectful, even asking if it was alright with me if she felt the hip and shoulder where the joints are artificial. If we had been in private, I would have showed her my scars!!!

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

wdf858

Post by wdf858 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:12 am

I travel 200 days a year and TSA agents really is the worst part of traveling. They are disrespectful and arrogant but its now part of travel. I recommend you DO NOT check your machine breakage and loss is highly possible. Its a terrible hassle to go through airport security but much more of a hassle to go without sleep. Good luck

janell

Post by janell » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:45 am

I just traveled from ny to chicago and had no problems with my cpap..my first time traveling with it. I'd put up with the hassle before I'd check it as baggage. I did ask the tsa to put new gloves on before touching my machine, he seemed annoyed, but who gives a s***!!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 am

How about... on the days you travel, you don't use lotion? Is that not an easy option?

sunnyway

Post by sunnyway » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:40 am

You do have a "Medical Equipment" tag on your CPAP bag, don't you? I did have to open the bag and lift out the CPAP for TSA but that was the only hassle.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:11 am

You've got to keep in mind the other possibility.

What if they didn't check out the CPAP machine that actually was filled with explosives?

You know that your machine isn't but the TSA doesn't.
jeff

Really

Post by Really » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:52 am

Sharon1225 wrote: I read here that glycerine is often used in cosmetics and it is also used in nitro glycerine, which is an explosive. A blogger on this site said that airport security has been having a problem with false alarms for that reason.
A blogger? Here? On this site? Really??
You Can't Fix Stupid Really

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:13 am

When a traveler tests positive for anything, the rules change, and they should. TSA should be respectful, but it is their job to ensure safety for everyone.

Bill
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:10 pm

"Medical Equipment" tags don't make any difference at all to the TSA; the tags might make some difference to airline employees at the gate and on the aircraft if you are carrying on an extra bag. It could also make some difference to fellow passengers who are wondering why you get to carry on an extra bag.

Hand lotions and other toiletries contain glycerides (such as glycerine) or nitrates that can set off the explosive detectors; both from transfer from hands to luggage and CPAPs, and TSA hand swabs. Some toothpastes and soaps contain glycerine, and sensitive tooth toothpaste contains potassium nitrate. I wonder if the small amounts of nitrate or glycerine in toothpastes would actually cause TSA false alarms.

I try to be aware of the possibility of false nitrate alarms: I clean my machine with rubbing alcohol before packing it (I take alcohol swabs with me for the flight home) and I read the ingredients in the few toiletries that I use. The only toiletries I carry when I fly are toothpaste, shampoo, bar soap, deodorant, mustache wax, and coconut oil (for my beard). Plain Vaseline would also be explosive detector safe. I try to use the same brands of products that I know from experience to be "TSA safe". Except for my 'stache wax, my toiletries go into my checked luggage.

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:50 pm

wlenz wrote:When a traveler tests positive for anything, the rules change, and they should. TSA should be respectful, but it is their job to ensure safety for everyone.

Bill
I suppose you don't have to worry about having your breasts touched because your CPAC tested positively.

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:55 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I have had a pat down at an airport. It was before I was on cpap but I have 2 artificial joints that set off the alarm. My pat down was also by a female agent.

I guess I was fortunate because I did not feel offended in any way by this. The male agent, who was checking would not do it and, when I explained why the alarm went off and showed him the card from the doctor that informs of artificial joints, He asked if I would mind if an female agent did a pat down. She was very respectful, even asking if it was alright with me if she felt the hip and shoulder where the joints are artificial. If we had been in private, I would have showed her my scars!!!
>>>>y>>

I think pat downs are different when the buzzer goes off when you go through the scanner. Then they use the wand and locate the cause and they have to pat down just the area where the alarm beeped. Should your CPAC test positively, you will get to experience standing with your arms outstretched and a woman touching your breasts.

wlenz

Post by wlenz » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:23 pm

I suppose you don't have to worry about having your breasts touched because your CPAC tested positively.
It is absolutely necessary to have breasts touched if a woman tests positive for explosives. That is the world we live in. The TSA MUST make the flight as safe as possible.
There is only one way to achieve happiness on this terrestrial ball, And that is to have either a clear conscience, or none at all.

Ogden Nash

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:28 pm

Sharon

I am Sorry for your ill experience. I do need to say that I would rather have these experiences then to have another 9-11 or worse if we can fathom that thought. These changes were brought on, not by the law aibiding citizens of the world, but by those who wish harm and opose our way of life (maybe even covet). Many have died so that we may live free, to travel, BBQ or what ever we may do day to day. Alittle inconvenience or embarrassment is worth keeping this at bay or in someone elses yard.

Enjoy you Holiday and sleep well
Chris

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL

Sharon1225

Post by Sharon1225 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:42 pm

wlenz wrote:
It is absolutely necessary to have breasts touched if a woman tests positive for explosives. That is the world we live in. The TSA MUST make the flight as safe as possible.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are so right. There has been such a rash of elderly female Catholic terrorists trying to blow up planes, lately. The truth is that giving up our liberty to not have our private parts touched by strangers is not making us safer. TSA is looking at things when they should be looking at people.