Recliner sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Do you sleep in a recliner?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:49 am

I sleep almost all of the time in a recliner
3%
I sleep some of the time in a recliner
22%
I never sleep in a recliner
75%

Total votes: 59

elena88

Re: Recliner sleeping

Post by elena88 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:35 pm

I have read that sleeping straight up in a recliner is recommended for people who cant use their cpap for a night.

I am not a napper, but I couldnt take my hubby's snoring last night, and I havent been sleeping well for three weeks, so I sat in
HIS chair and watched tv until very late.. and somehow, I accidently fell asleep.. what a disaster.. woke up feeling sick, bp pounding,
irratic heart beat, nauseated, gasping for air.. and I was sitting straight up, I didnt even push it back to the recline position.

Is it normal to have such a problem sitting straight up and sleeping?

Im never going to do that again! eekorama! how unpleasant!

Fat chance it will happen again, as I have only fallen asleep in a recliner twice in my life, and that was one of them!

hose head

Post by hose head » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:19 pm

When I was struggling with my therapy I would sleep in recliner. I don't have one at my house right now, but if I did I would set it up with extra machine. I would still have problems when I was sitting up in chair so I don't think it helped me not have apneas and I didn't have a data machine so I don't know details. I have a co-worker who told me she always slept in a recliner. I will have to inquire if she still uses recliner now that she is more into using her machine.

Jaylee

Post by Jaylee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:32 pm

I don't have one either, but I wish I did so that I could be comfortable crocheting.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:38 pm

During my pursuit of good sleep hygiene I got the notion that getting rid of my recliner = no naps = better sleep at night. That was short lived and I was utterly miserable, and it garnered me steroid injections in my back. A recliner takes the pressure off my bad lower back. And my PLMD usually does much better in the recliner than in bed. And when I couldn't stay in bed due to the limb movements, without the recliner I was just up and awake, often on just 2 or 3 hours sleep. I sleep better and longer in it than I do in bed, however, only sleeping in my bed fully relieves my legs of edema. Recently I was disturbed that I was having apnea events even though nearly upright in the chair, as in the past I had no issues with my OSA. Then it dawned on me that I recently changed chairs and the alignment of my back and neck is different. If I again had a formal style recliner with a firm straight back, only recline it to the first position, and prop a pillow under my chin to keep it from falling forward, I won't have events. If my back sinks into the recliner which pushes my head forward, I will. Having a recliner is so important to my well being, recently my daughter and son-in-law are trying to talk me into going to L.A. for a while. But where they are staying doesn't have a recliner. But my daughter had the solution - just spend the whole day on the recliners by the pool.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Might an adjustable bed be just what you need?
jeff

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:37 pm

An adjustable bed might be just what I need. Considered it, even looked at some, but was deterred by the cost. Would still need a recliner just for sitting.

newyorknative

Post by newyorknative » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:25 pm

I have a spare cpap that I keep next to my recliner. I find that my nose so far has stayed unstuffed for hours, unlike it is in bed.

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:10 pm

More times than I care to admit to.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

perrona@cox.net

Post by perrona@cox.net » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:08 pm

i use recliner always---much better sleep and sinus health

packitin

Post by packitin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:39 pm

deleted by poster
Last edited by packitin on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Resmed Vauto S Bilevel
Airfit n30

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Will the one person who said they always sleep in a recliner please give an explanation. I can't wait to hear it. I'll bet its interesting.
Some people sleep in their recliner because their mobility is impaired by an orthopedic, neurologic, or bariatric condition (or any combination thereof). This can be pretty embarassing, so it might not be comfortable for that person to explain. I know you meant your comment in fun, but . . .

When I was working in home health, I'd have the occasional patient who stayed mostly in the recliner. And then there were some very sad, horrible cases of abuse where a family caregiver simply left an immobile senior in the chair because it was easier than getting them up. I'm talking left as in left for days, weeks, even months (yes, truly!) at a time and this is truly horrific because if a person can't get up they aren't getting to a toilet or getting any hygiene care at all. It happens more often than you EVER want to think about These were the saddest cases I think I've ever seen.

Elena asks
Is it normal to have such a problem sitting straight up and sleeping?
Unfortunately, yep. ANY time we sleep, we are going to have problems with this. Now, think to the time before you started CPAP. That's how you slept ALL of the time. You just notice how bad you feel after that catnap because you are getting used to feeling much better.

I need a recliner because I have chronic primary lymphedema in my legs. I sit all day at work, which is not good, but I do have a fairly good ergonomic set up where I can "pump" my legs and my chair is so low that there's no pressure on the back of my legs. At home, if I'm not in the recliner or in bed, I can literally feel and watch my legs fill with fluid if I sit for any period of time. My sister-in-law, who is very short, had the legs shortened on her kitchen chair and table and I think that's what I need to do, because if the meal goes on for any length of time (or I sit and do the Sunday Crossword) I swell up. The recliner is a must for me.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

quinnberry

Post by quinnberry » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:21 pm

i have one and I use it for naps.

perrona@cox.net

Post by perrona@cox.net » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:02 pm

i have chronic sinusitis, gastric reflux and sleep apnea. the recliner gives me a good nights sleep and helps my general health. i am a full-time active physician.

imjustra

Post by imjustra » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:31 pm

I've been sleeping in a recliner off and on for over the past 10 yrs. (since I was pregnant with my daughter). It seemed to help with sinus issues, colds, etc. 6 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. I've tried laying in the bed propped up with pillows, but I always find myself back on the recliner. The only problem is that it gets uncomfortable at times. Are there any suggestions on how to pad the recliner, or the name of a comfy recliner.
Thanks...........................................

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:12 pm

This forum is for people using cpap, not for furniture reviews, so if you're on Cpap, and need help with it, welcome, but a recliner cannot replace Cpap if you need it.