Want to change DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mycopsycho

Want to change DME

Post by Mycopsycho » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:26 pm

I started my cpap treatment June 9th (2010) and my DME issued me a ResMed S9 and H5i humidifier along with Swift FX mask and sent me on my way. The RRT I dealt with pretty much told me at that point I was on my own and there would be no follow ups, no checking my SD card even though I have medicare and a supplement. The reason: understaffed, overworked and no time to follow up. Everything I know about sleep apnea treatment, I've learned from this forum and a few other online sites. But I'm frustrated because I feel someone ought to at least look at my data once or twice in the early states of treatment just to make sure I'm on track and using things correctly even though I think I am. So I started checking around with other DMEs and quickly learned that they closely check compliance for medicare reporting purposes and follow up with the patient. Apria even uses a wireless modem on the cpap to report my compliance back to them. The one DME I'm interested in does not carry ResMed products but does have Respironics and Fischer & Paykel. I liked the look of the F&P cpap machines but don't know which one would be best. I would like a cpap that has a removal data card, available software so I can check on my progress at home, and some auto features. I also want a nasal pillow mask. I love my Swift FX and it seems to work well for me but I would probably have to go with a Respironics or F&P model. Any suggestion there?

Bernie
Denver, CO

cpapqueen1

Re: Want to change DME

Post by cpapqueen1 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:59 pm

You are going to have a hard time switching units as your humidifier will be purchased by Medicare. I am honestly surprised that the DME is not monitoring your compliance as Medicare's guidelines are so strict when it comes to compliance. Good ahead and make a follow-up visit with your physician about 45 days after you started therapy. I would also have the DMe upload your card prior to the visit. Great machine you have!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Mycopsycho wrote:I started my cpap treatment June 9th (2010) and my DME issued me a ResMed S9 and H5i humidifier along with Swift FX mask and sent me on my way. The RRT I dealt with pretty much told me at that point I was on my own and there would be no follow ups, no checking my SD card even though I have medicare and a supplement. The reason: understaffed, overworked and no time to follow up. Everything I know about sleep apnea treatment, I've learned from this forum and a few other online sites. But I'm frustrated because I feel someone ought to at least look at my data once or twice in the early states of treatment just to make sure I'm on track and using things correctly even though I think I am. So I started checking around with other DMEs and quickly learned that they closely check compliance for medicare reporting purposes and follow up with the patient. Apria even uses a wireless modem on the cpap to report my compliance back to them. The one DME I'm interested in does not carry ResMed products but does have Respironics and Fischer & Paykel. I liked the look of the F&P cpap machines but don't know which one would be best. I would like a cpap that has a removal data card, available software so I can check on my progress at home, and some auto features. I also want a nasal pillow mask. I love my Swift FX and it seems to work well for me but I would probably have to go with a Respironics or F&P model. Any suggestion there?
I would suggest contacting ResMed directly (phone or better yet by e-mail) and lodge a complaint with them. This is their warped logic for chastising the online sellers and favoring the brick and mortar DMEs.

Other than that, it's why so many users take control of their own therapy......buy the software and download their own data.

Good luck.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

frh

Post by frh » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:57 pm

Mycopsycho, a lot of people (including me) had to change DME companies and/or pay a lot extra to get the machine you got. The software for your machine is easy to get, and won't cost you anything. All you need to do is ask that someone PM you the link so you can download it. Then you will be able to print out the reports yourself.

All you need after that is a good doctor who is willing to work with you. If you don't have a good doctor, the good people who frequent this forum can help you take control of your own therapy.

nosenabook

Post by nosenabook » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:10 pm

Mycopsycho wrote: Everything I know about sleep apnea treatment, I've learned from this forum and a few other online sites.
True for me, too, although I can claim some experience as well.

Mycopsycho wrote:...just to make sure I'm on track and using things correctly even though I think I am.
You probably are. If you were having problems, you would know!

Mycopsycho wrote: The one DME I'm interested in does not carry ResMed products but does have Respironics and Fischer & Paykel.
I don't see why this has to be a problem. Couldn't they order for you? Masks and hoses are the same, they would only have to locate filters for you.

F&P makes a solid machine, but let everybody get ahead of them in the data area. They have one data capable machine, so new I'm not sure it's out yet. (I heard this from my DME, who does not carry F&P, but my first machine is an F&P.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:36 pm

So I started checking around with other DMEs and quickly learned that they closely check compliance for medicare reporting purposes and follow up with the patient. Apria even uses a wireless modem on the cpap to report my compliance back to them.
All that means is they look at the hours in order to get paid by the insurance. They don't give damn about anything else. Get your own software and check yourself. Nobody is going to do it for you.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Mycopsycho

Post by Mycopsycho » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:24 pm

frh wrote:Mycopsycho, a lot of people (including me) had to change DME companies and/or pay a lot extra to get the machine you got. The software for your machine is easy to get, and won't cost you anything. All you need to do is ask that someone PM you the link so you can download it. Then you will be able to print out the reports yourself.

All you need after that is a good doctor who is willing to work with you. If you don't have a good doctor, the good people who frequent this forum can help you take control of your own therapy.
I got the ResScan s/w within 3 days of starting treatment so I've been able to download my data. With the help of this forum I've started to learn to interpret the results. I do like my S9 machine, for sure.

The comments posted here have been very helpful and appreciated. Looks like I will just continue to educate myself and follow this forum. Thanks.

Bernie
Denver, CO