ResMed Attacks Internet Suppliers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
roster

ResMed Attacks Internet Suppliers

Post by roster » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I found this post quite interesting:

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

BlackSpinner

Re: ResMed Attacks Internet Suppliers

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 pm

How about a Boycott Resmed facebook page.
It had a great effect on the Bay before the olympics - it got them to sell real Cowichan sweater instead of chinese rippoffs.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Is this about price control or them policing the Rx requirement for the proper equipment?

Help a newbie out?

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Is this about price control or them policing the Rx requirement for the proper equipment?

Help a newbie out?
All of the above

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Is this about price control or them policing the Rx requirement for the proper equipment?

Help a newbie out?
Both......AND.....trying to play "gotcha" with the online sellers so they can refuse to supply them with products.
Ya know, those online sellers are E V I L.....they don't support the users as well as the brick & mortar sellers do. (being facetious)

At least, that's the way I'm reading it.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:45 pm

let me now if the Resmed Boycott page is already setup

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

kooshbal

Post by kooshbal » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:55 pm

So we know this is happening but what can we do? CPAP.com received my Rx, no problem. I have to go through a preferred provider for my equipment unless I choose to go off the grid and purchase supplies. This is the key point for me. A source or sources to purchase supplies at the lowest possible cost. ResMed is in control because they control the supply chain. CPAP.com and other internet providers should comply to keep the supply chain open. Its the necessary game that must be played. If I have this wrong. Never-mind.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Wulfman wrote:

Help a newbie out?
Both......AND.....trying to play "gotcha" with the online sellers so they can refuse to supply them with products.
Ya know, those online sellers are E V I L.....they don't support the users as well as the brick & mortar sellers do. (being facetious)
Den
I wonder just whose business model this is?

It seems to me that when they break 'em off and then stop selling their products to a customer, they will next wonder why they are out of business.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:02 pm

kooshbal wrote:So we know this is happening but what can we do? CPAP.com received my Rx, no problem. I have to go through a preferred provider for my equipment unless I choose to go off the grid and purchase supplies. This is the key point for me. A source or sources to purchase supplies at the lowest possible cost. ResMed is in control because they control the supply chain. CPAP.com and other internet providers should comply to keep the supply chain open. Its the necessary game that must be played. If I have this wrong. Never-mind.
Here's another option. Check it out.

http://www.cpapauction.com/

It's owned/run by CPAP.COM.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:06 pm

GumbyCT wrote:
Wulfman wrote:

Help a newbie out?
Den
I wonder just whose business model this is?

It seems to me that when they break 'em off and then stop selling their products to a customer, they will next wonder why they are out of business.
Maybe the "Chicago business model" that's currently being used in D.C. Worked for Al Capone and others (for awhile).

Den
User since 05/14/05

PST

Post by PST » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:49 pm

I feel very confident that whether one considers it a good thing or a bad thing, U.S. law does not forbid a manufacturer from enforcing a minimum advertised price (MAP) policy like that of ResMed and the other manufactures, so long as the manufacturer and not the resellers establishes the policy, and so long as the manufacturer does not have anything like a monopoly. A manufacturer can enforce a pricing policy as long as it is not based on an agreement among its customers, the resellers. The antitrust slang for this is a "vertical" price constraint, which is legal. "Horizontal" price constraints normally are not. If ResMed, Respironics, and the others agreed to a pricing policy, that would probably be illegal. Similarly, if a group of DMEs agreed among them themselves to fix a price or establish a MAP, it would probably be illegal. The DMEs can't get together and ask ResMed to fix a policy and pretend that it is ResMed's idea either. But as long as ResMed establishes and enforces the policy unilaterally, it's probably okay. There are many, many businesses in which this is done.

The guy who wrote the letter Rooster quoted says that "ResMed wishes to position themselves as the premium manufacturer of sleep equipment." It is common practice to work at making the public perceive one's brand as the luxury choice, not the discount choice. Think Rolex watches, for example, another business in which MAP is enforced.

I'm not so sure the poster's theory is right. I suspect ResMed understands that in most cases the DME chooses what brand a patient gets, so it is in ResMed's interest to see that DMEs enjoy a healthy markup so they will continue to push ResMed. But, whatever the reason, and whether it is wise or moral, it is legal in the U.S. and always has been.

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:59 pm

It sure is disappointing to read about any business being spied upon

Some time back I had the chance to speak to a local (Australian) cpap seller who operates online. He said he had to set up a small 'shop' (basically a drop-off point) in each capital city, that became his walk-in office as he could not sell anything via mail. When I asked him why this was happening he said it was the large buying groups (here they are Chemist shop chains), who put pressure on Resmed to not supply Internet sellers & these chains like to charge high prices. So Resmed gave in to the big buyers & implemented their tight policies.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:04 pm

dsm wrote:It sure is disappointing to read about any business being spied upon

Some time back I had the chance to speak to a local (Australian) cpap seller who operates online. He said he had to set up a small 'shop' (basically a drop-off point) in each capital city, that became his walk-in office as he could not sell anything via mail. When I asked him why this was happening he said it was the large buying groups (here they are Chemist shop chains), who put pressure on Resmed to not supply Internet sellers & these chains like to charge high prices. So Resmed gave in to the big buyers & implemented their tight policies.

DSM
That's interesting. I guess it's "good" to hear that it's not just in the U.S.A.

Den
User since 05/14/05

goose
Location: The left coast - CA... If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!

Post by goose » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 pm

Here we go again!!!!
cheers
goose

-the Dalai Lama

Bob3000

Post by Bob3000 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:14 pm

PST wrote:I feel very confident that whether one considers it a good thing or a bad thing, U.S. law does not forbid a manufacturer from enforcing a minimum advertised price (MAP) policy like that of ResMed and the other manufactures, so long as the manufacturer and not the resellers establishes the policy, and so long as the manufacturer does not have anything like a monopoly.
True. And I think it's a fair policy - if Resmed wants its products sold at a higher price then the market demands, good for them. I'll enjoy a DeVilbiss or Respironics device instead. However, colluding with other manufacturers to artificially jack up the price of a class of product IS illegal - just ask the LCD makers who were busted a few years ago (in California, I think) for doing the same thing. If I recall correctly, within a year, all of the major xPAP suppliers began to enforce a minimum internet price. That reeks of price-fixing, is illegal, and will eventually lead to a class action lawsuit if in fact that's what's happened.

It's laughable when the xPAP manufacturers suggest that they are looking out for the patient's best interest by directing customers to brick-and-mortar DME's where they can "get the personal level of care that they need". My ass. They are for-profit businesses and as such, do nothing for their customers that doesn't ultimately benefit the business. That profit-seeking behavior is good per se and is the basis for the success of the Western world, but it's shady to try and pretend that profits aren't what's being thought of here.