distilled water vs filtered water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: distilled water vs filtered water

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:41 pm

ratfancy wrote:I thought the question of distilled v. filtered was for the health of the user, not the health of the machine! That said, I was looking into a home distiller machine because most distilled waters are also run through a carbon filter and the "burnt wood" smell in the distilled water bothers my sense of smell when breathing through the machine. Any thoughts on the health benefits of using filtered v. distilled water?
Same as always. Nothing but water vapor is going to get carried out of the humidifier. Water vapor molecules are too small to carry any pathogens or "whatever" out of the tank. Any minerals or things in the water are going to be left behind in the tank as the water is vaporized. Distilled water is recommended because of the lack of the minerals and other things that will be left behind......as opposed to other types of water.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:21 pm

If you are going to dig up old threads, fine, but please read them, then others will not have to reread them to you. Jim

LOC TITE, should make a Read Only Thread Locker, they could give us free samples for testing.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:54 pm

Goofproof wrote: LOC TITE, should make a Read Only Thread Locker, they could give us free samples for testing.
Carolyn has the only tube of it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:21 pm

I have some in the shop ... do we need red or blue .... I think the red is permanent
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:25 pm

grayghost4 wrote:I have some in the shop ... do we need red or blue .... I think the red is permanent
I'm pretty sure that with enough leverage, it ain't permanent!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Nothing is permanent, my old 1 inch air impact was good for over 1200 ft lbs, after that there's always the Blue Wrench. We also had a 1 & 1/2 inch air wrench that hit 3,000 ft lb, but it took a overhead crane to handle it.

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Johnnyb01

Post by Johnnyb01 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 am

Goofproof wrote:Nothing is permanent, my old 1 inch air impact was good for over 1200 ft lbs, after that there's always the Blue Wrench. We also had a 1 & 1/2 inch air wrench that hit 3,000 ft lb, but it took a overhead crane to handle it.
And If neither of these work right off, use the torch to add a little heat, loosens things right up!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:37 pm

Johnnyb01 wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Nothing is permanent, my old 1 inch air impact was good for over 1200 ft lbs, after that there's always the Blue Wrench. We also had a 1 & 1/2 inch air wrench that hit 3,000 ft lb, but it took a overhead crane to handle it.
And If neither of these work right off, use the torch to add a little heat, loosens things right up!
Blue Wrench is another name for a oxy/acetylene torch.

Safest way to remove rusted/frozen nuts, heat them fully red/orange hot, then let them cool off to normal temp, apply penetrating oil, let soak in, then remove fastener. Time consuming, but cheaper than breaking parts. Jim

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:56 pm

Goofproof wrote:Blue Wrench is another name for a oxy/acetylene torch.

Safest way to remove rusted/frozen nuts, heat them fully red/orange hot, then let them cool off to normal temp, apply penetrating oil, let soak in, then remove fastener. Time consuming, but cheaper than breaking parts. Jim
hmm, keith fenner heats 'em till they're good and hot and then removes 'em, hot.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:28 pm

ratfancy wrote:OK - so let me get this straight: Apparently what we should do is shut down the site and archive it. If you are attacked for asking a question - what's the point of a forum?
I don't see where you were attacked...you must have very thin skin.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:48 pm

LSAT wrote:
ratfancy wrote:OK - so let me get this straight: Apparently what we should do is shut down the site and archive it. If you are attacked for asking a question - what's the point of a forum?
I don't see where you were attacked...you must have very thin skin.
thin skin is caused by using filtered water in the humidifier instead of distilled.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

Johnnyb01

Post by Johnnyb01 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:46 pm

palerider wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Blue Wrench is another name for a oxy/acetylene torch.

hmm, keith fenner heats 'em till they're good and hot and then removes 'em, hot.
lol, same thing I do, never had it fail me yet!

nancy1951

Post by nancy1951 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:53 pm

regarding old threads - Please keep in mind that not everyone who uses a CPAP today used one four years ago. Additionally, sometimes new facts come to light and advice changes. Let's let forum readers ask their questions without berating them.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Nancy, why don't you register as a member, and then maybe you'd feel like you had some clout with these older members who've been 'there' and back about these issues long ago. You make a good point, but you don't really know the full story.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:08 pm

nancy1951 wrote:regarding old threads - Please keep in mind that not everyone who uses a CPAP today used one four years ago. Additionally, sometimes new facts come to light and advice changes. Let's let forum readers ask their questions without berating them.
it's often better to start a new thread, instead of replying to one from a few years back where it's quite possible the people you're replying to, or asking questions of, are no longer active members.